What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Translators complaint&request (cuz we deserve it)

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Translators complaint&request (cuz we deserve it)
Author: Message:
nus

Humanoid Typhoon is coming!

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Tranlators complaint&request (cuz we deserve it)
There are great, Guido!!!!! :D
I'm so glad XD

Thanks WDZ
Kanashimi wo yasashisa ni
05-01-2004 09:54 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Kian

41 / Male / –
RE: RE: Tranlators complaint&request (cuz we deserve it)
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Well guys, I have the same problems myself when I write the english text. The room for text windows is often limited and I always have to spend a lot of tiem when I create new windows to find a way to say what I want to say in the available space.

That's part of the translation work! if I increase the size of some windows, you would just realise that you earned 2 or 3 words at most.

Good luck! :)
Patchou

Well... I don't like the way you say this... it seems like that you don't care about the translated version - well at least that you don't care about the work that the translators has.

It might be tough to make the english fit, but anyway the english version _has_ to fit so I guess that it is more 'dynamic'

You have to keep in mind that English is a language which has smaller words, easier to express through few words and and the gramma also makes it easier to write English in short terms and still keep the sentence working.

Translating into Danish is a hard job - especially this time. The Labels are smaller than in Plus! 2 and Danish sometimes needs longer and more words than the original language (English) and as long it is impossible to translate directly we simply have to shorten some words or truncate a part.
Like: "Commands and tags" the translated version is "Kommandoer og mærker" - there are two ways to handle the situation:

* use a short that nobody knows: "Komm og mærker"
* truncate a word and use: "Kommandoer" (leaves the "mærker" behind)

It is possible to use the english word "tag" in Danish - it referse to the grafitti-world and is not that much used in commen language. But even if we use "tag" instead of "mærke" there is not enough space. So the problem is the word "Kommandoer" and as you can see it is almost directly translated - and it is the best translation (actually I cannot find another substitute)... so what to do? use a short nobody knows or truncate a word?

This time you have given us a tough task - I think you should leave some space, or at least try do so in Labes that only contains two or three words, and not make the English version decide the length of the Label.

// Peter (aka Kian)
lets get one thing straight - i am NOT
05-07-2004 08:18 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user2319
Disabled Account

RE: RE: Tranlators complaint&request (cuz we deserve it)
quote:
Originally posted by nus
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Edit: maybe a little "sticker" below the user-group with our Translator group/function

no, i'm refer a image that GFD or PAtchou or someone send us by email or pm. like the linux image that you have when you register as linux user (see my web and search tux the penguin)

You mean this:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=239268]

When you sign up at the Linux International counter? (http://counter.li.org)?

.gif File Attachment: 320587.gif (4.64 KB)
This file has been downloaded 424 time(s).

This post was edited on 05-07-2004 at 09:00 AM by user2319.
05-07-2004 09:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
RE: Tranlators complaint&request (cuz we deserve it)
Anyway, we already got the stickers :grin: :banana:

(yes, that's what he meant)
05-07-2004 11:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: