What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Max server load limit

Pages: (6): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] Last »
Max server load limit
Author: Message:
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Max server load limit
looking again at the post i think wdz was right tbh...

i wasn't suggesting deleting the attachments table, just temporarily disabling showing/uploading attachments, as handling large files like that must be pretty hard on the server compared to the size of posts.  if it doesn't account for much load though, that's fair enough
06-12-2004 09:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Max server load limit
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Sounded more like he was telling you to get a decent web host for these forums... Dunno how you interpretted it how you did :-/

If u read from a few posts up u'll see it was about disabling the attachmentfacility..and therefor he was saying ppl should find a host to store their attachments if they wanna include one so it would take off severload for this forum.

Imo this is a bad idea since not everybody has a website (host) or a friend who can put up an attachment for them. The possibility must remain for ppl to post (attach) screenies bout their probs.

Still disabling stuff like that or removing avatars or signatures will not help decrease the serverload, all it will do is make it load up faster on userend. The prob lies in the ammount of ppl that are on the forum at the same time. The only solution is to increase that limit (Server-/webhost side).

This post was edited on 06-12-2004 at 09:33 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
06-12-2004 09:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
i wasn't suggesting deleting the attachments table, just temporarily disabling showing/uploading attachments, as handling large files like that must be pretty hard on the server compared to the size of posts.  if it doesn't account for much load though, that's fair enough
It probably takes more load for you to be viewing this page than actually downloading or uploading an attachment ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Still disabling stuff like that or removing avatars or signatures will not help increase the serverload, all it will do is make it load up faster on userend. The prob lies in the ammount of ppl that are on the forum at the same time. The only solution is to increase that limit (Serverhost side).
You cant really increase the limit to more than it is already set. The server is not designed to handle high loads and this is why this limit is set, to prevent server failures. Server loads are calculated so that if the load on a crappy server (eg 233mhz) is 1.17, on a higher scale server (say 2.3ghz) the load is still 1.17. Its a caluclation of the running processes and the drain these processes place on the CPU.

Its hard to explain why these things dont place a high load on CPU, but they dont as internal testing (stress testing) has shown me..
06-12-2004 09:33 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

don't feel offended - i was talking about the visitors, because I know msgplus has a decent host ;)
there is actually nothing you can do about it, unfortunately, because you will always get lots of visitors. if you remove the limit, people will stay instead of leaving, and then you're off again =/
06-12-2004 12:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
So.. people lets resume all thsis posts..
Whats is going to be done? - This question is for you admins ;)
06-12-2004 11:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by PT_KiD
Whats is going to be done? - This question is for you admins
May I answer in their name: Nothing. Just wait some days until people don't come so often to the forums. This is happening because the new release of Plus 3 and it's a temporal thing.

Admins: Correct me if I'm wrong :P
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
06-12-2004 11:13 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

I would partially agree with Choli.. The other thing to do would be for people to stop spamming, even in testing and trashing..
06-12-2004 11:16 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
The other thing to do would be for people to stop spamming, even in testing and trashing..
so much load is generated with the T&T posts? I agree that the less spam the less server load, but I see T&T as spammy as always (not more not less) so the posts in T&T "doesn't count". Of course, spam outside T&T is a thing that should be avoided by we all.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
06-12-2004 11:20 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
I think that the new theme eats up too much bandwidth, and that people need to post less useless info. also: I think that it would be wise to start encouraging people to host as many avitars and attachments as possible on OUTSIDE servers.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
06-14-2004 10:04 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

Bandwidth is not Server load, necessarily speaking.

This has all been discussed before over and over so i am closing this topic, as like you said, its pointless to post useless info :)
06-14-2004 10:09 PM
Pages: (6): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: