What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Malware being advertised at this forum

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
Malware being advertised at this forum
Author: Message:
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum
You don't get it do you?
Let's put it in CAPS, so you can't use the excuse you didnt read it:

GOOGLE DOES NOT LET YOU CHOOSE WHAT ADS TO DISPLAY, THEY ARE SELECTED BY CHOOSING KEYWORDS FROM THE CONTENT OF THE SITE!
now shut the fuck up

EDIT:
on the banner, click "Ads by gooooogle" and file a complaint there...
stop pissing us off...

This post was edited on 01-12-2005 at 03:25 PM by TheBlasphemer.
[Image: theblasp.png]
01-12-2005 03:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Spade
I see that your new advertisements are live - very Google'ish.  The very first advertisement I saw was for www.smileycentral.com (paired with www.briefcase.com).

Considering he switched to please you and the other "Ad naysayers", Give him some time to add the proper filters to Google's Adsense, It takes some serious tweaking to get it just right for a site like msgplus.net where the keywords can be construed eaisly.
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
01-12-2005 04:30 PM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
Yay! Google Ads! :D

Congrats! (Y)

:P Funny to see there are still complaints about this. :rofl:

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

01-12-2005 08:25 PM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by Leo
Funny to see there are still complaints about this.
Well, they need *something* to complain about, don't they?
Can't imagine them not complaining...
01-12-2005 08:39 PM
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
You don't get it do you?

GOOGLE DOES NOT LET YOU CHOOSE WHAT ADS TO DISPLAY, THEY ARE SELECTED BY CHOOSING KEYWORDS FROM THE CONTENT OF THE SITE!
now shut the fuck up

TB, my post was perfectly polite - not a single swear word, purely information.  I'll leave it to you to work out within yourself why your response was so extreme.

If you checked your facts before posting I wouldn't have to say this, but let's see who has REALLY got their 'facts straight'.

Google allows for advertisement filtering.  It is called the URL Filter.

To quote:

"Google combines advanced technology with editorial staff to ensure the highest quality standards in our ad program, but we recognize that you may not want certain ads, such as your competitors' ads, to show on your website. Ads that link to sites on your filter list won't appear on your content pages. You can update your list anytime, and changes will take effect within a few hours.Please note that filtering sites may decrease your potential earnings and/or the number of ads that can appear on your web pages. "

In the past few weeks I've seen one new user told by a long-standing member of this forum that the MP Sponsor only installs one toolbar when in fact it can install two - the silver search bar and the blue passthrough toolbar (the user in question had both on his system).  I've also seen Patchou say that SmileyCentral isn't advertised anymore, when in fact it was still being advertised on the non-English forums.  Now I see you SCREAMING that Google doesn't let web site owners choose ads, when in fact Google allows the filtering of unwanted web sites. 

I hope you'll forgive me for hanging around to point out such errors, in the hope that everybody will learn, and that misinformation will be fixed.  I point out that I waited two days for Patchou to be told by somebody else about the SmileyCentral advertisements on the non-English pages; I also waited two days for your error about Google to be pointed out.  Nobody else said anything, therefore I had to.

This post was edited on 01-14-2005 at 01:08 PM by Sam Spade.
01-14-2005 12:41 PM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
You don't get it do you?

now shut the fuck up

Let's see who has REALLY got their 'facts straight'.

Google allows for advertisement filtering.  It is called URL Filter.

To quote:

"Google combines advanced technology with editorial staff to ensure the highest quality standards in our ad program, but we recognize that you may not want certain ads, such as your competitors' ads, to show on your website. Ads that link to sites on your filter list won't appear on your content pages. You can update your list anytime, and changes will take effect within a few hours.Please note that filtering sites may decrease your potential earnings and/or the number of ads that can appear on your web pages. "

I suppose you didn't do any research and found out that smileycentral advertises under literally hundreds of domains names?
01-14-2005 12:57 PM
Sam Spade

<Insert inspirational comment here>

58 / – / –
[quote=TheBlasphemer
I suppose you didn't do any research and found out that smileycentral advertises under literally hundreds of domains names?
That might have been a good point if the site being advertised had not been www.smileycentral.com :rofl:

It still doesn't change the fact that Google DOES allow users to filter unwanted domains. It is not a no choice situation as you alleged.

Seriously TB, your response to my post was REALLY over the top, and incorrect.  I was simply providing information, just like I provided information about the SmileyCentral advertisements appearing on the non-English MSGPLUS sites, and information about the fact that the Sponsor Program can install TWO toolbars, not just one.  There was no need for such swearing.  I hope you will see that I am NOT responding in kind, and will temper your posts accordingly.

01-14-2005 01:21 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
It still doesn't change the fact that Google DOES allow users to filter unwanted domains. It is not a no choice situation as you alleged.

quote:
Originally posted by wj
quote:
I see that your new advertisements are live - very Google'ish.  The very first advertisement I saw was for www.smileycentral.com (paired with www.briefcase.com).

Considering he switched to please you and the other "Ad naysayers", Give him some time to add the proper filters to Google's Adsense, It takes some serious tweaking to get it just right for a site like msgplus.net where the keywords can be construed eaisly.
01-14-2005 03:35 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: