What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » * NEW*MP live! 4.20.0262 Turkish translation :)

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
2 votes - 5 average   * NEW*MP live! 4.20.0262 Turkish translation :)
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: * NEW*MP live! 4.20.0262 Turkish translation :)
Sorry CookieRevised, when I saw you are the translator of Dutch, I thought you are from Netherlands. Because when I searched the dictionary for Dutch, it says Hollandaca, Flemenkçe, person from Holland, etc. .

I have also noticed the contradiction between the explanations of Dutch and Flemish, but I thought that contradiction is caused by the similarity of both languages. Also I don't know the Turkish equivalent for the language which is spoken by people in Belçika, CookieRevised's country. Maybe we must call it as Flemenkçe. Let's stop here, things will be confused much more things will get even more confusing. (I thought stroke out sentence lacks a good English)

This post was edited on 05-20-2007 at 09:09 PM by ahmetgns.
05-20-2007 02:16 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: * NEW*MP live! 4.20.0262 Turkish translation :)
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
The Turkish wikipedia article seems very inaccurate...
indeed
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Vlaanderen == Flanders (don't know the Turkish version of that)
I _think_ "Flamanca"

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Sorry CookieRevised, when I saw you are the translator of Dutch, I thought you are fdrom Netherlands. Because when I searched the dictionary for Dutch, it says Hollandaca, Flemenkçe, person from Holland, etc.
A translation dictionary lists synonyms and other explainations. That doesn't mean they all mean the same thing.

But "Flemenkçe" is certainly not a "person from Holland". "Flemenkçe" means Flemish, which can refer to either the sublanguage spoken in the Dutch part of Belgium or the region of the Dutch speaking parts of Belgium. And even the definition "person from Holland" is wrong on itself as Holland is a region from the Netherlands; Holland is not the same as the Netherlands.

Note the use of the English word "Holland" and not the Turkish "Hollanda". The Turkish "Hollanda", although almost written the same, refers to something different than the English "Holland" (or the Dutch word "Holland").... to probably aid your confussion...

quote:
I have also noticed the contradiction between the explanations of Dutch and Flemish, but I thought that contradiction is caused by the similarity of both languages.
There aren't contradictions though. It is explained well in those articles. If you didn't understood it, then why arguing with me with the use of those articles when I said that [Sounds.Languages]Lang16: "Flemenkçe" is not the correct translation for "Dutch"? :/

quote:
Also I don't know the Turkish equivalent for the language which is spoken by people in Belçika, CookieRevised's country. Maybe we must call it as Flemenkçe. Let's stop here, things will be confused much more.
The discussion weither people in Belgium speak Dutch or Flemish is big and an ongoing dispute, as Flemish is a subset of Dutch. But Flemish is still Dutch too. eg: 'American English' is spoken in the USA, yet this is also 'English'. It is just the same issue.

However, everybody (incl. those quotes from the wiki articles you showed) agrees that the common language for both countries is called Dutch (or 'English' in my example above). If you say Flemish (or 'American English' in my example above), you always specifically refer to only a part of Belgium, discussions or not.

Anyways, the correct translation for [Sounds.Languages]Lang16 is "Hollandaca".

This post was edited on 05-20-2007 at 03:46 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-20-2007 03:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: * NEW*MP live! 4.20.0262 Turkish translation :)
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Sorry CookieRevised, when I saw you are the translator of Dutch, I thought you are from Netherlands. Because when I searched the dictionary for Dutch, it says Hollandaca, Flemenkçe, person from Holland, etc.
A translation dictionary lists synonyms and other explainations. That doesn't mean they all mean the same thing.

But "Flemenkçe" is certainly not a "person from Holland". "Flemenkçe" means Flemish, which can refer to either the sublanguage spoken in the Dutch part of Belgium or the region of the Dutch speaking parts of Belgium. And even the definition "person from Holland" is wrong on itself as Holland is a region from the Netherlands; Holland is not the same as the Netherlands.
If we call German as Almanca, then we call the people who speaks German as the mother tongue as Alman (note that I've removed ca). So we never call people from different countries with a word which has suffixes like ce, ca, çe, ça. We name only languages when we add those suffixes to words. So definitely we can't call some person as Flemenkçe. But Dutch, when searched from a translation dictionary English to Turkish, means: Flemenkçe, Hollandaca, person from Holland (sorry, I was wrong in my previous post) Netherlands (in Turkish=Hollandali, note the added suffix for people)
quote:
[size=1]Note the use of the English word "Holland" and not the Turkish "Hollanda". The Turkish "Hollanda", although almost written the same, refers to something different than the English "Holland" (or the Dutch word "Holland").... to probably aid your confussion...
Sorry, you are right, I should have written 'person from Netherlands' instead of 'person from Holland'.

quote:
It is explained well in those articles. If you didn't understood it, then why arguing with me with the use of those articles when I said that [Sounds.Languages]Lang16: "Flemenkçe" is not the correct translation for "Dutch"? :/
upsss, I'm not arguing, we're discussing I think, eh?

quote:
Anyways, the correct translation for [Sounds.Languages]Lang16 is "Hollandaca".

Yes, I agree.
05-21-2007 05:22 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: