What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Brazilian translation in the program

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Brazilian translation in the program
Author: Message:
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Brazilian translation in the program
there will NOT be a brazilian translation, get over it. There used to be 2 spanish translations and we merged them, so there could perfectly be a single portuguese translation. The thing is, there SHOULD be a brazilian translator in the team, so you could discuss which words can be understood by both countries.

i think you should ask patchou to include chancer or someone else to the portuguese team.
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
05-04-2008 05:57 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
Ok, but who is in the translation team?
quote:
Originally posted by Edu115
Your knowledge of the portuguese language amazes me. Yeah, Iberian Portuguese is the same since it was born... I think Iberian Portuguese and Latin are almost identical, really. ^o) You should read some books about it.

You say that because you aren't a "latin" portuguese speaker, knows what happens when a portuguese person is interviewed or something? They include subtitles before it goes on-air, so that everyone understands it. (this is not an arguing, but is fact)

quote:
Another thing... We, portuguese from Portugal, understand what "Baixe agora" means, what "Download agora" means ( yeah, "Download" isn't brazilian portuguese either ).

"Download isn't Portuguese, really. But, according o our grammar, words related to techgnology have to remain the same way they are. (That is why we've got "Informatica" from Italy/France, can't remember now; PC, OS, Download, Upload, CPU, Drive, from USA; and another know words.

quote:
In fact, we understand almost every expression you use. For sure, you also understand the expressions we use. You can argue about this, but the truth is that Iberian Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese are similar.

Search YouTube for "Programa do Jô", find an edition where he talks about pt-pt and pt-br differences
Also, watch this video, this one too, and at last. Are you sure they are small diferences?

means, what "Download agora" means ( yeah, "Download" isn't brazilian portuguese either ).

"Download isn't Portuguese, really. But, according o our grammar, words related to techgnology have to remain the same way they are. (That is why we've got "Informatica" from Italy/France, can't remember now; PC, OS, Download, Upload, CPU, Drive, from USA; and another know words.

quote:
Another argument you use that I really don't understand is that there are a lot of brazilian users, more than portuguese users. Wouldn't that be a proof that our translation is more than enough? If people didn't understand it, they sure wouldn't use it.

And they don't use the pt-pt. They go to the website, find the Help page, find the forum page, see translation, and see: "Oh, yay! Here is it!" [almost clicking at that sticky post that has the pt-br language pack]. And, yes, there are more brazilians than portugueses using WLM. In fact, many of them don't even know there are other Instant Messaging programs, since WLM already comes in Windows [Windows is about 98% of brazilian's market]. They discover plus! looking for cool stuff to install to make messenger a little better [and they find: Plus!, the best add-on available to WLM].

quote:
Don't forget that Portuguese isn't only used in Portugal. And i'll not even mention the huge portuguese emmigrant communities in France, Canada, UK, Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg, ...
Angola, Mozambique, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, São Tomé and Príncipe, East Timor are all countries whose main language ( or one of the main languages ) is Iberian Portuguese. And there's Galicia, where their language is very similar to Iberian Portuguese.

Brazilian Portuguese is used in ... Brazil.

Fact. That is why it is called Brazilian Portuguese. And, are you sure brazilian emmigrant communities are small? Well... they aren't, I assure you.

quote:
Once again, this is something that was discussed earlier. There are some threads suggesting this. You should search first before creating a new thread.

I didn't create this. I was the 7th to post a reply.

quote:
Let me just say that I don't condemn some people wanting to create a brazilian translation for those who don't understand portuguese, or don't want to bother thinking too much about it. But that file is where it should be - here in the forum. In the future, maybe Patchou will include your file, and i'll be very happy for you. But believe me, my opinion remains.

I also am not against the Portugal portuguese be inside the installer. I just dislike ONLY pt-pt being included. But, yeah, at least there is the translation pack here. But...wouldn't it be really easier to include that 217Kb (smaller than the pt-pt, btw) with the program?

And, yep, that's what I'm asking for, inclusion of it in a future release.
[Image: Empty.png]
05-04-2008 02:54 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Brazilian translation in the program
Not again....

As suggested before, there are many threads regarding this, please read them FIRST. All the things discusses here are already discussed before on those threads....

Still, some pointers:

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
You say that because you aren't a "latin" portuguese speaker, knows what happens when a portuguese person is interviewed or something? They include subtitles before it goes on-air, so that everyone understands it. (this is not an arguing, but is fact)
This has got little to nothing todo with the issue. For example, when some Dutch people from the Netherlands are interviewed on a Belgium (=also Dutch!) show, it is subtitled also. Or vice versa; and even some Dutch speaking people from Belgium are subtitled on Belgium shows.

Also, Dutch people from Belgium don't understand some words the Dutch people from the Netherlands use and vice versa. This is exactly the same... Yet there is only 1 Dutch language.

Of course you can turn every translation into something specific for a certain country speaking that same language. But this is not the purpose of the translation files in Plus!.

As for loan words like 'computer', etc. Those can be translated too (again I take Dutch as an example) in such a way that the English influence is gone. But that is only for language-purists. The fact is that each and every language consists of loan words (and many from English). In fact, words you think of being native to your language have probably been derived hundreds of years ago from another language anyways. So there isn't such a thing as true language specific/non-loan words (thinking about the many latin influences which are long forgotten).

If there is going to be a seperate translation for each sub-language in Plus!, then the installer size will increase enourmously. pt-br might be 220KB, but so is each and every other (sub)language file.

Like suggested before, and for now, the Portuguese translation should be made in such a way that both people from Portugal and Brazil (and many many many other pt speaking people in the world) understand it. This is done exactly the same for MANY other language sets in Plus!.

Yes, if you want you can make a pt-pt translation which Brazilians don't understand and a pt-br translation which Portuguese people don't understand. But there is also a possebility to make it understandable for both, and that is what should be done. Again, just as with all the other sub-languages....

And arguments like pt-br people use WLM more than pt-pt people or whatever are meaningless without decent studies and demographic analyzes  and whatever.

As for many other arguments I again want to refer to the existing threads. There you will also see many 'strange' pro-br arguments which even go against other pro-br arguments. Another strange thing is that the pt-br translation started out with almost a plain copy of the pt-pt translation claiming it to be completely done, so, I think this says something also...

Anyways, for now there isn't going to be an extra pt-br translation included in the Plus! setup, nor for any other sub-language. If you want pt-br you can always download the seperate pt-br translation.

Again, please read the many other threads which already discussed all this and already explained all this. No reason for multiple threads to exist.

This post was edited on 05-04-2008 at 04:03 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-04-2008 03:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Like suggested before, the Portuguese translation should be made in such a way that both people from Portugal and Brazil (and many many mAny other pt speaking people in the world) understand it.
I like this idea. But it isn't like that today.

Can't any moderator close this thread? This discussion sure will take us to nothnig.
[Image: Empty.png]
05-04-2008 03:39 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Before this thread gets closed I'd like to point out that the official translators for the Portuguese translation are
Gonçalo F. and Edu115  (that I know of).

Contact them if you want to be part of the team or if you want to discuss this further (internally).

As Choli already said, and I agree with this, it would be very good if a Brazilian would join the team if there isn't already someone.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-04-2008 04:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: