What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » AntiVirus Plugin

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
Would you use a Virus-Protection Plugin?
This poll is closed.
Yes, I would 11 35.48%
No, I would not 12 38.71%
Maybe, not sure 8 25.81%
Total: 31 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

AntiVirus Plugin
Author: Message:
JtMoney

RE: AntiVirus Plugin
I would use the plugin :D
06-28-2004 04:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: AntiVirus Plugin
;), NAV2004 scans file changes and alerts you of the scan in its little toast.  NAV2003 does not alert you.  What you saw was it scanning a "File change", which was really the file appearing, yes, it does do the job, but might I say mine does not always do that, im not sure if yours does, but yeah.

:), And thats also the reason that the installer will very clearly state..
quote:
The purpose of this plugin is to add advanced detection, this plugin is NOT designed to eliminate viruses.  This plugin will only detect filenames for MSN-Borne viruses, and will not detect filenames of other viruses or security threats.  The protection may not always be accurate, that is why with almost every detection our DAT for the engine is set to allow you to choose.
06-28-2004 05:03 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

ever heard of "real-time-protection"?

if not, get a cave to hide in. sorry dude, but files are scanned when created, and virus definitions are updated automaticly. there goes your project *waves*
06-28-2004 05:30 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
Thats your choice, your DEFINATLY overreacting about this, if you dont wanna use it, then dont, others can make there own decision.
That's my whole point ffs... Others (read: n00bs) don't know how these things work and THINK they are protected, while in fact they certainly are NOT protected... that's why I WILL NOT let the choice to the others, but will warn others that this plugin is useless... People need to learn to use their common sense and need to learn to use proper programs instead of blindly using some plugin that claims protection for virusses (MSN virusses or not)....

btw, "add advanced detection,"??????? Why are you always using some fancy words to describe things? advanced detection? My *beep*... it will only check for a filename, if you call that advanced, fine, but don't use those words for things like you wanna create when in fact they aren't advanced at all. Again, this has EVERYTHING todo with FALSE FEELING OF PROTECTION!

When a noob sees those words he thinks "wow, I'm going to install this wonderful magic thing, so I don't need anything else. Now I'm safe for virusses."... You can argue all you want about this, but this is how the real world works. And also, we all know that most people don't even read disclaimers, readme's, instructions, etc...

The basic idea was fine, but making this plugin in real is not!

And with all respect to the others, but look who voted on what options in the poll. I think that says something also......

This post was edited on 06-28-2004 at 06:52 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-28-2004 06:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: AntiVirus Plugin
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Thats your choice, your DEFINATLY overreacting about this, if you dont wanna use it, then dont, others can make there own decision.
That's my whole point ffs... Others (read: n00bs) don't know how these things work and THINK they are protected, while in fact they certainly are NOT protected... that's why I WILL NOT let the choice to the others, but will warn others that this plugin is useless... People need to learn to use their common sense and need to learn to use proper programs instead of blindly using some plugin that claims protection for virusses (MSN virusses or not)....

btw, "add advanced detection,"??????? Why are you always using some fancy words to describe things? advanced detection? My *beep*... it will only check for a filename, if you call that advanced, fine, but don't use those words for things like you wanna create when in fact they aren't advanced at all. Again, this has EVERYTHING todo with FALSE FEELING OF PROTECTION!

When a noob sees those words he thinks "wow, I'm going to install this wonderful magic thing, so I don't need anything else. Now I'm safe for virusses."... You can argue all you want about this, but this is how the real world works. And also, we all know that most people don't even read disclaimers, readme's, instructions, etc...

The basic idea was fine, but making this plugin in real is not!

And with all respect to the others, but look who voted on what options in the poll. I think that says something also......
What, just because they havent been here as long as you there votes dont count?

kk, Im not going to flame back & forth at you.  If this is your concern, for your happiness, When the plugin is run for the first time ill make it display a screen that they cannot accept unless it is read to the bottom and after a certain amount of time, that way (And make it remain on top), that way, they'll have no choice but to read the statement.  Again, its not COMPLETE protection, its SOME, a SLIGHT security blanket that warns you of POSSIBLY infected files, in no way is it meant as "Complete", "Full" or "Advanced" Detection of MSN Messenger borne viruses, despite earlier statements.

The plugin that is being worked on is for minimal protection and warnings only, will contain an updater, WILL NOT require purchase (like other AV products) and is meant ONLY to inform of POSSIBLE viruses.
06-28-2004 07:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

but... what's the point of having a plugin if you know all new pc's come with norton? why call it antivirus if it has NO functionality in blocking viruses... Because, really, all it does is blocking filenames...

Please, i beg you, don't release it, there will ALWAYS be people who think they're secured, always... Name it file blocker, that's good, but not antivirus

Hey, the poll shows the good example :) 10 vs 11 ;)

This post was edited on 06-28-2004 at 08:19 PM by Millenium_edition.
06-28-2004 08:16 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
What, just because they havent been here as long as you there votes dont count?
That's not what I meant :dodgy:

You can't give ANY argument to me that convinces me of the usefullness (heck even safeness!) of this plugin. For me this case is closed... I'll boycot it... and that's MY right to do...

This post was edited on 06-28-2004 at 09:11 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-28-2004 09:07 PM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
I'll join that boycot...

[edit]
Let's just say future versions of SPNG might have some "compatibility issues" with this plugin :refuck:
[/edit]

This post was edited on 06-28-2004 at 10:22 PM by TheBlasphemer.
[Image: theblasp.png]
06-28-2004 10:21 PM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
Yeah, okay. I've heard enough. Can we all STFU now? Thanks.

Dane can draw up an idea on whatever he likes, and get someone to program it for that matter. If you dont like it. Dont download it. Which, btw, it also your "right". :rolleyes:

This post was edited on 06-28-2004 at 10:38 PM by Johnny_Mac.
06-28-2004 10:34 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: