What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Cant open my logs !!!

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Cant open my logs !!!
Author: Message:
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Cant open my logs !!!
quote:
Originally posted by fatfreechicken
This is nothing to do with Plus!, nor is it due to a file being corrupt/ in use.
quote:
Originally posted by Lebby
All my files are encrypted with the window thing (right clic on folder --> properties --> advance --> chec: Encrypt contents to secure data)

That's your problem. If I understand correctly from what I have read online,the only person who can have access to files protected with that is the original user who created it, thus if you formatted the drive with that account on, I don't think (although I'm not 100%) that there is way of getting it back...

But as I said, I'm not 100% certain, so don't delete them yet as someone else may be able to provide more help ;)

sounds like a logical explanation.....so basically your going to have to delete those logs as they have been affected one way or another. Regardless, you're going to have to start fresh again.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
12-17-2006 02:22 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: Cant open my logs !!!

quote:
Originally posted by Lebby
Im waiting
First of all, we are volunteers. we don't get paid, you don't pay for MsgPlus! so most things  _ can't _ be demanded.

Second,  I remember that i read online a long time ago  that you could recover that type of files with that encription by renaming a user to the exact user name they were created with. I never tried but you won't harm anything if you try.

This post was edited on 12-17-2006 at 03:07 AM by Voldemort.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
12-17-2006 02:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Terry_K

– / Male / –
RE: Cant open my logs !!!
I have managed to get myself out of access denied errors caused by similar issues.

As a result, I recommend that you go to the security tab of the properties dialog box and try to set permissions for yourself. If none of that works, you may need to use the cacls command which can be quite difficult to use.

As for the Windows encryption, this can be very tough. If you still have your original data from your C: drive, you may still be able to dig up the encryption key. Try looking around using google for some tips.

I am assuming that you are an admin on your computer (because you formatted your computer) and you have XP Pro (because you were able to encrypt your data).

A word of warning for the future: NEVER use Windows to encrypt your data if it is data you would regret losing because if you format your Windows drive (usually your C: drive), you may lose your encryption key. Of course, this doesn't apply if your data is confidential and you would rather lose it than let others get access to it.

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
I remember that i read online a long time ago  that you could recover that type of files with that encription by renaming a user to the exact user name they were created with.
Unfortunately that won't work because Windows identified user accounts by a unique ID number rather than their name. This unique ID number is randomly created when the account is created.

This post was edited on 12-17-2006 at 06:50 AM by Terry_K.
Terry K
12-17-2006 06:35 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Lebby

O.P. RE: Cant open my logs !!!
hmm ok , Ill delite all :(
12-17-2006 09:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version