What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Status messages & Custom names in MSN Messenger 7.x

Status messages & Custom names in MSN Messenger 7.x
Author: Message:
Sietse

– / Male / –
O.P. Status messages & Custom names in MSN Messenger 7.x
Good day,

Currently I am using MSN Messenger 6.2 (on Windows XP), though.. looking at the fact a new version has been released a while ago I am now considering to move to the more recent MSN Messenger 7.

Though, while I was plunging into the depths of this new version of MSN Messenger in combination with the beloved extension Messenger Plus!, I noticed two things I really liked in MSN Messenger 6.2 didn't work as they used to anymore.

Firstly, in MSN Messenger 6.2 in combination with Messenger Plus! you are able to disable the custom status messages with a registry key (UseTagForCustomName). This key perfectly does what it is supposed to in MSN Messenger 6.2, though seems to be quite ineffective in 7.x. Is there a way to get this feature to work again in MSN Messenger 7?

My second issue is about the custom nickname feature. When I entered a custom nickname in MSN Messenger 6.2 and quickly wanted to look up a contact I could just type the first characters of his or her name in the main window to get the selection bar on this person. In MSN Messenger 7, this feature has changed a bit: now, when I type the first characters of a person's custom nickname, I am expected to type the e-mail adress or nickname of a certain person. My question is whether this feature can be made to work as it did in MSN Messenger 6.2?

Thanks in advance,
Sietse

P.S. I was not entirely sure where I'd post this thread. Seeing they do concern features that were/are already present in Messenger Plus! I have chosen the Bug Reports forum.
07-13-2005 02:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Status messages & Custom names in MSN Messenger 7.x
Not too sure I get the first question - could you elaborate a bit?
As for the second, it's likely this is becuase of the changes MSN made to v7, meaning that the text that's visible is 'overlaid'. Either that, or Messenger takes the keystrokes and comapres them against e-mail addresses, not on-screen text.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-13-2005 06:57 PM
Sietse

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Status messages & Custom names in MSN Messenger 7.x
Well, I can try, of course.

Messenger Plus! allows you to use a status like:
Nickname here (Not here, working) instead of (Away, Busy.. whatever)

I want Messenger to ignore the custom input. :)

[edit]
There is nothing that can possibly be done about the second issue?

This post was edited on 07-13-2005 at 07:11 PM by Sietse.
07-13-2005 07:09 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Status messages & Custom names in MSN Messenger 7.x
If you're talking about contacts' custom satuses, in MSNM7 both the custom and Messenger statuses are displayed. AFAIK, there's no alternative.

And sorry, it's not possible to change the behaviour of Messenger itself without patching, which is illegal.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-13-2005 07:20 PM
Sietse

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Status messages & Custom names in MSN Messenger 7.x
Ok, nothing to do about it then.. I'll stick with MSN Messenger 6.2 for the time being.

Thanks for the help. :)
07-14-2005 12:17 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: