What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict

Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict
I'm sorry if I read your post wrong then...
It's a misunderstanding of the line "Windows Messenger is the preferred chat client". Since Windows Messenger is build in into Windows XP, I assumed you meant that by saying "preferred" and thus:

Many users who use Windows Messenger, use it because it is build in into Windows and they find it annoying that Windows Messenger is launched by itself at certain times while they use msn messenger. So they're logged out in msn messenger. And thus they use Windows Messenger because they can't fix that beheviour. That's why I suggested to "break" the link (again assuming, you were 'forced' to use windows messenger, but you wanted msn messenger)

btw: I did say *most* users prefer MSN Messenger, I didn't say you nessecairly preferred it.

quote:
Originally posted by SurfIsUp
The point made is in *MY* situation - Windows Messenger IS the preferred client.
Now it is clear... So anyways, I've extensivly tested this beheviour here:
Without any IM running, but Plus! is running, I'll start Windows Messenger...
Result: Windows Messenger starts up nicely, no trace of MSN Messenger...

The only instance when msgplus starts up msn messenger is when you boot up the computer and you've ticked "auto-run messenger when log on to windows" in msn messenger. (because Plus! deletes the msn messenger key in the registry run-tree and replaces it with his own key to ensure Plus! is loaded before msn messenger)

Config:
Win XP home SP1 (fully patched)
Messenger Plus! 2.54.74
MSN Messenger 6.1.0.211
Windows Messenger: 5.0.0482
Link between WinMsgr and Windows broken with MessengerDisable (=option "hide")

quote:
Originally posted by SurfIsUp
...we would have followed Jonathan Kay's advice as it is known to be a reliable source...
Although I know Jonathan Kay and his good advice, the advice he gives concearning "disabling" Windows Messenger isn't exactly the best option. You'll find many solutions on the internet to disable or uninstall Windows Messenger. (inlcuding Jonathan Kay's uninstalling procedure) The thing I gave does not uninstall or disable Windows Messenger. It only breaks the hard link between Windows and Windows Messenger. You can still use Windows Messenger like allways. The only thing that will change is that it will prevent Windows Messenger from secretly running and starting up. (and it prevents the long delay when opening Outlook Express)

This post was edited on 04-16-2004 at 02:37 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-16-2004 12:35 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by SurfIsUp on 04-15-2004 at 06:56 PM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by aNILEator on 04-15-2004 at 06:58 PM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by SurfIsUp on 04-15-2004 at 07:00 PM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by CookieRevised on 04-15-2004 at 08:11 PM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by SurfIsUp on 04-15-2004 at 08:41 PM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by CookieRevised on 04-16-2004 at 12:35 AM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by SurfIsUp on 04-16-2004 at 02:19 AM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by CookieRevised on 04-16-2004 at 02:27 AM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by Patchou on 04-16-2004 at 02:37 AM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by SurfIsUp on 04-16-2004 at 03:28 AM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by WDZ on 04-16-2004 at 03:54 AM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by SurfIsUp on 04-16-2004 at 04:36 AM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by Patchou on 04-16-2004 at 05:54 AM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by SurfIsUp on 04-16-2004 at 06:49 AM
RE: RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by CookieRevised on 04-16-2004 at 11:11 AM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by Jeronimo on 04-16-2004 at 12:38 PM
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict - by Patchou on 04-16-2004 at 02:40 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: