What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Multimedia PC Task

Multimedia PC Task
Author: Message:
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. Multimedia PC Task
Ok everyone heres the deal... Today my IPT (information processing and Technology) class got a hsc assessment task involving the design and setup of a multimedia computer lab in a mock situation.
I will summarise the question below:
"The art department needs quality access to the school network to enable a class group (max 24 students) to use graphic design and multimedia software programs (eg Illustrator, Photoshop, video editing etc etc), internet resources to complete research, word processing for report writing and a publishing program for collating and publishing art work and related information. Also suitable hardware for colour digital images and colour printing. This requires files to be stored, secured and centrally administered. Thus a separate graphics computer lab with its own file server and connected to the existing school network is necessary"

Ok well thats pretty much the question. As far as the teacher is concerned there is pretty much no cost budget for the project. so my question to all of you is what would be suitable computers to build a graphics computer lab being able to easily run more than a few of the programs at a time. With not many cost restraints what hardware am i looking to "purchase" for each machine.
I want to be able to provide reasons in my report as to why certain things were chosen and how they will handle.
Also can anyone think of any other multimedia hardware that would be useful to this department. eg scanner, plotter, colour laser, photo printer, firewire ports for video transfer, usb 2.0, network cards etc etc.

Thanks everyone for your help on this it is greatly appreciated. I am not after anyone to do the assignment for me as this is only a minor part of it, rather i am after everyones input and a top end system in terms of suitable hardware as i am not entirely sure on some things.
Once again thanks for your help and any contribution, if anyone else has any other questions/suggestions please feel free to ask. Also any other useful additional information regarding the networking involved etc (ie switches, hubs, routers, print servers, twisted pair cable or fibre optic?? etc). I have also read and been told that a top end CRT monitor is used far more often in serious graphics departments and business instead of LCD as in sharpness, image quality etc it offers a much better picture for professionals?

Thanks to everyone,
Daniel
[Image: wetpix%20sig.png]
03-16-2005 09:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Multimedia PC Task - by Dan0208 on 03-16-2005 at 09:53 AM
RE: Multimedia PC Task - by RaceProUK on 03-16-2005 at 11:52 AM
RE: Multimedia PC Task - by Dan0208 on 03-16-2005 at 11:55 AM
RE: Multimedia PC Task - by Dan0208 on 03-18-2005 at 06:53 AM
RE: Multimedia PC Task - by Chris.1 on 03-18-2005 at 03:57 PM