What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Exporting Renamed Contacts?

Exporting Renamed Contacts?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts?
quote:
Originally posted by Zodiak
Hello friends!

I am sorry for forgetting again lol. I just formatted :)

I know that you do not lose your contacts on msn, what I mean is that you lose the custom names you asign to them.

Say you know your friend Rob and Joe from somewhere but you always get the two mixed up. You can select one and press F2 to rename him from @%&&#%(&#%)(%&( to Rob and #@$(&% to Joe.

I always rename my contacts and this is what you end up losing when you format your computer that I had wished to keep.
You said you use Windows Live Messenger. This means you also use Messenger Plus! Live.

In Windows Live Messenger (this is version 8 or higher) with Messenger Plus! Live the renaming of contacts is done within Windows Live Messenger, not within Messenger Plus!!

In MSN Messenger (version 7 or below) with Messenger Plus! 3, the renaming of contacts is done by Messenger Plus!.

The contact information, including the nick names you've set, in Windows Live Messenger is handled by Messenger and is roaming. This means that it is stored on the msn servers and that you will NOT loose this information when you login on another computer and/or when you format.

The custom nicknames you've set in MSN Messenger with Messenger Plus! 3, is handled by Messenger Plus! and thus is stored in the registry and can be exported from within Messenger Plus!'s preferences window.

quote:
Under my own doing, I did manage to find out how to backup this information, this is for those who are interested in knowing :)

go to your Start Button>type regedit

Now Following the following Path

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou
Wrong...

That information is only for Messenger Plus! 3. Messenger Plus! 3 can only be used with MSN Messenger...

So, backing up that information under that registry key is totally useless if you're using Windows Live Messenger with Messenger Plus! Live....

Moreover, even IF you used MSN Messenger with Messenger Plus! 3 (instead of what you've said before) you do not need to go to the registry to back things up. In Messenger Plus! 3 you can already export all your settings, which include Messenger Plus! 3 custom contact names, from within the preferences screen.

quote:
I really appreciate all the help you friends have been giving me
Too bad you were given very incomplete and confusing information which lead to this post you've made just now....

This post was edited on 06-23-2007 at 02:40 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-23-2007 02:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by Zodiak on 06-17-2007 at 11:23 PM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by ahmetgns on 06-18-2007 at 06:19 PM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by Zodiak on 06-20-2007 at 02:58 AM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by MicroWay on 06-20-2007 at 04:02 AM
RE: RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by ahmetgns on 06-20-2007 at 07:16 AM
RE: RE: RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by CookieRevised on 06-20-2007 at 11:16 PM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by trini on 06-20-2007 at 09:20 AM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by MicroWay on 06-20-2007 at 07:55 PM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by ahmetgns on 06-20-2007 at 08:02 PM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by ahmetgns on 06-21-2007 at 08:34 AM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by CookieRevised on 06-21-2007 at 09:12 AM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by Zodiak on 06-23-2007 at 01:28 AM
RE: RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by CookieRevised on 06-23-2007 at 02:37 AM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by ahmetgns on 06-23-2007 at 07:54 AM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by CookieRevised on 06-23-2007 at 09:11 AM
RE: Exporting Renamed Contacts? - by MicroWay on 06-23-2007 at 01:12 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: