What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling

1 votes - 3 average   [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling
I didn't respond earlier because i wanted to hear the opinions from others around this first. So here i go...

First comments on the three you reported:
  • Nao Messenger
    Miamoto mailed me after you created this thread. First a mail with a request to remove his skin from the db completely. But before i got around reading it i got a new mail with a v3.3 (apparently the last version we'll see from Nao :() which is on the DB now. I trust you guys have contact and can work it out together.
  • Longhorn Theme skin
    Received an update from coolzee too (online on db), the problem you mention with the .dll seems fixed.
  • Dheano Live Messenger
    Isn't submitted to the db yet, but looks like you guys worked it out already (y).

Skin-kiddies isn't a fair term to use, there's nothing wrong with learning by example as long as people keep on reading the documentation too. But, you do have a point in the skins you mentioned where people take your graphics directly without asking.

quote:
Originally posted by mynetx
What is protectworthy? How much is a skinner allowed to copy from an existing creation?
  • Taking images or DLLs from other skins without permission is definitely not allowed. For images i mean original images that you created, not simple gradients, images you found on the web or images based on the interface of an existing application (like vista icons for example).
  • Also not allowed is taking complete style/definition files. I say complete, because like Cookie said style/definition files have a strict format. Style/definition are bound to look the same, even while the skins are visually completely different.
  • Names should be original to avoid confusion, like Nathan changed the names of his script to Ribbon Messenger to avoid confusion with the Office07 skin. I think this covers what you name faking?
  • Using the same file structure is completely ok :).
  • As for stealing ideas... a skin based on an existing application/OS/brand is never considered an original idea, unless you are the creator of that application/OS/brand. But i will limit how many skins based on the same enter the skins db. For example if another Office based skin gets submitted it will need to significantly better/different to be accepted.
quote:
What about the skins database?
Like Patchou said: "If they just copied your stuff and don't mention your name anywhere, you have the right to complain and the skin could be removed from the db as a consequence. It's generally better to contact the other skin developer directly as more than often, this kind of problem can be resolved in a more appropriate way like that." So if there is an issue: Try to contact the skinner first and work it out (be polite and reasonable), if that doesn't work, contact me (skins@msgpluslive.net). When you contact me, be specific, describe which files are stolen exactly, mynetx did a good job at that in the opening post.

quote:
How much works does he/she have to put in it, to express their own design instead of reusing others' work? Should there be a limit of unique-level for each skin to be accepted?
Unique-level can't be measured. When accepting them in the skins db i'll try to make the best choice and ask Patchou when in doubt. We can't compare all files with every other skins each time. When you think a skin in the db stole your resources/idea, contact me like written above and we'll work it out together.

quote:
What about licensing? Can licenses be applied to skins, such as GPL (allowing modifications is they are published), or a different one, permitting use, but forbiding integration into other skins?
You'll have to study if the license you want to use allows it, i never got into that. Skins are a Messenger Plus! feature and integrated into Windows Live Messenger, that could cause some problems for licenses.

quote:
and (4) being published in such a prominent place that everybody has to cope with them when developing a skin.
Where are you suggesting? I want to avoid pages long rules on /skins/submit/, but maybe somewhere else?

quote:
Originally posted by warmth
4. I think some rules must be applied to DB submits... Nao Messenger shouldn't be accepted there for now...
Nao Messenger looked fine on inspection. I simply can't compare all the files with all other skins all the time. From the outside Nao looked original. This is why i'll partly rely on reports from other skinners.

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
a report button could be added to report plagiarism
I'll consider that for the next skins db, for now email works fine.

BTW: Was this posted in beta for a specific reason? It's probably better in the regular skinning forum so other skinners can read/contribute too.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-23-2007 07:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
[Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by mynetx on 12-21-2007 at 08:54 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Bram on 12-21-2007 at 09:25 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by warmth on 12-21-2007 at 09:36 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by CookieRevised on 12-21-2007 at 10:34 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by ipab on 12-21-2007 at 11:01 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by mynetx on 12-21-2007 at 11:16 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by ipab on 12-21-2007 at 11:18 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Voldemort on 12-21-2007 at 11:35 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by mynetx on 12-21-2007 at 11:38 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Voldemort on 12-21-2007 at 11:41 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by mynetx on 12-21-2007 at 11:46 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Sunshine on 12-22-2007 at 12:16 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by aNILEator on 12-22-2007 at 12:41 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by warmth on 12-22-2007 at 12:46 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by aNILEator on 12-22-2007 at 01:27 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by warmth on 12-22-2007 at 02:29 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by mynetx on 12-22-2007 at 08:10 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Willz on 12-22-2007 at 09:17 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by mynetx on 12-22-2007 at 09:21 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Willz on 12-22-2007 at 09:33 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Patchou on 12-22-2007 at 05:20 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by absorbation on 12-22-2007 at 05:26 PM
RE: RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Willz on 12-23-2007 at 01:05 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by warmth on 12-23-2007 at 01:14 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Menthix on 12-23-2007 at 07:24 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by mynetx on 12-25-2007 at 07:27 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by stuartbennett on 12-29-2007 at 11:19 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by aNILEator on 12-29-2007 at 11:48 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by freak544 on 12-30-2007 at 12:01 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by MC Inferno on 12-30-2007 at 04:39 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Jesus on 12-30-2007 at 07:17 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by MC Inferno on 12-30-2007 at 08:04 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by stuartbennett on 12-30-2007 at 09:23 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by vaccination on 12-30-2007 at 11:47 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by TheSteve on 12-30-2007 at 02:27 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Menthix on 12-30-2007 at 02:39 PM
RE: RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by TheSteve on 12-31-2007 at 02:37 AM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by ipab on 12-30-2007 at 07:35 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by aNILEator on 12-30-2007 at 07:50 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by absorbation on 12-30-2007 at 08:08 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Willz on 12-30-2007 at 11:08 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by coolzee on 01-02-2008 at 04:31 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Basilis on 01-03-2008 at 04:00 PM
RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by artfuldodga on 01-03-2008 at 06:54 PM
RE: RE: [Discussion] Skinning copyrights, cloning, and idea recycling - by Willz on 01-03-2008 at 11:14 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: