What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » patchou.com - new version - help!

How do you sincerly rate Messenger Plus! 2.00 robustness?
This poll is closed.
solid as a rock! 120 52.86%
rarely causes any interference with Messenger 65 28.63%
already crashed Messenger a few times 34 14.98%
crashes Messenger too much to use it on a day-by-day basis 8 3.52%
Total: 227 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

1 votes - 5 average   patchou.com - new version - help!
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: patchou.com - new version - help!
Reading WDZ's reply.... hmmmmm..... that 5 minute interval is the main problem? I see....

Yeah, that definitly needs to be fixed.... why not change it to something like: If it can't connect to the server: Let it retry in an randomly choosen amount of X minutes. The value of X should then be randomly choosen between somthing like 180 and 720 minutes.

If you do it something like that, then all the users won't be checking for an update at the SAME time.

I guess the same think should be done for the FIRST check after each install/updrade... don't let EVERYONE check after exactly 7 days, but let it differ for everybody... choose a random date from 7 up to 10 days for the FIRST check after each install/upgrade.
The second and all other checks CAN be done for everybody in exactly seven days after the check that was before that one.

All this to avoid too many people accesing you system at the same moment on your server.

But, whatever you do, you need a new update to get it working first.... i guess you could make that update and then let me and other people announce it on the big MSN sites first and then wait a week BEFORE making auto-update alive, that should make much diffrence.
After all... *none* of the people having installed MP2 now got it trough auto-update or patchou.com... THEY ALL got it from the big msn related sites and other news sites... so lets try to distribute the update the exact same way, then after a week or so kick in the auto-update

* Menthix realy hopes auto-update stays part of Plus!
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
01-29-2003 02:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
patchou.com - new version - help! - by Patchou on 01-28-2003 at 05:25 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: