What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Forum Needs some Changing?

Poll: What do you think about this idea about Dividing the forum some more? Giving it some more Sub-forums...
I think this idea would greatly improve the forum quality
I think this idea is good, but not help improve much
I think this idea is ok, but I don't care to much
I don't care (please don't use this too much)
I don't like the idea, I don't think it will work
I don't like the idea, it would create to much "distance"
I don't like the idea, it would mess up the entire forum and make everything worse
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Forum Needs some Changing?
Author: Message:
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Forum Needs some Changing?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I've had the chance to think about this today at work, and I still stand by my point which I said earlier (about the subforums). However, after reading your post, I also could agree on another approach I think, which you also suggested:

Making a subforum for every plugin there is. Because, as you said, they are afterall a main part of Messenger Plus! So this idea will go a bit like on MSNFanatic. But not dividing each plugin subforum into [beta], [release], [help/suggestions], etc... Just simple 1 subforum for each plugin. But all this with a twist. I would like to see the plugins database integrated into the forum. eg:

When people click on the forum "plugins", they see all the plugins (just as in the database) and have the chance to go to the subforum to ask questions, make suggestions, whatever. But they would also see a link to the download of the plugin (this is where the plugin database comes into play as it is now). This link can be in the same list as the subforums, or in the subforum itself (on top or something, dunno)...

That would also be more than fine.. :D..

quote:
Now all this is much work to do (for WDZ mainly), so I have my doubts. Not because he's lazy, but because he needs to find the time as this will take much effort I imagine.

So true... But maybe he would be able to find someone willing to help him out?... I would if I didn't have so litle sparetime and the sparetime I've got I have to use on my plugins... :(...

quote:
Together with this I like to see some things added to the actual plugin database. eg: a link to the plugin's subforum, a link to the official homepage of the plugin (if it exist), and a link to a post (or an extra field) wich contains general info about related plugins!... (eg: all the convo grouping plugins, all the notifiers, all the file send related plugins, etc...)
Yes.. The plugins database definitly needs an update.. Not just by the plugin creators submitting but also in general... The database is so "old" and information less it's not woth using it... It needs to be updated.. To support Screenshots, external links.. etc.. As you said...
This would be a job for Patchou/Or who else runs the MsgPlus.net site and Database?...

quote:
And last but not least (and this is something the plugin makers can do already), the plugin makers need to mail Fraisie or whoever is in charge of the plugin database and update, or even add!, their stuff.... Because the plugin database is seriously outdated. And this is the responsebility of the plugin makers.
True... And really some plugins that are here on the forum should be there... But still some plugins should also not be there... That database is for the world public, and thousands of people visit that everyday(I guess?)... So plugins that are there should be working/stable, and early beta's shouldn't be there.. Well in fact, maybe even NO beta's should be there...
Well.. If we could have the extra links, link to forum, it would make a bigger difference, then it wouldn't matter that much if the plugins are still in beta stage because people can come to the forum and post...
This combined with all plugins having their own Subforum/corner would improve increasingly.... If the users will be linked directly to the plugin's "corner" they would have a better chance of finding what they are looking for... If they see a "forum" dedicated to that particular plugin they are more likely to think that their problem is already stated and talked about, and they would go look for it... I'm not saying that everyone would.. But I think far more people would than they are now...

quote:
Otherwise it would be a full time job to keep the database up-to-date if 1 person needs to constantly roam the forums, and keep track of every plugin development.
Well.. Yes... But who says it needs to be a 1 man job?... In fact I did also request/suggest this before... That we found a few people that have some extra time, some people that we trust in and knows what they are doing.. Maybe also a few "noobs"... But collect a team of people who's job is to roam the forum in search for plugins... Then they should test them, take screenshots, give a short description(from a normal user POW), maybe rate it, group it(What kind of plugin is it), gather some info about it, read the threads about it stating bugs/fixes/how to fix etc, read the creators posts and summarize future/to-do list, known bugs, other informations, maybe write a better readme than the creator(as plugin creators are poor at writing readme's/helps/etc...), they should test the plugin with different options like on different Windows versions, Msn messenger versions, plus! version etc, and then write a compatibilty text for it... All these things should be done by a team... In short this team's job is too ease up the plugin creators job and ease it up for the general users/public... We could call/name this team for instance "The MsgPlus! Plugins Special Forces".. :P.... If you understand?... This idea would be so awesome.. :D.. But that would of course require that a few people signed up voluntary and that we have a webpage for this... Maybe someone could build a www.msgplugins.net or www.msgplusplugins.net homepage were all this could be... Were this team opperates... :D...

quote:
So, in short: instead of making subforums like [Help], [suggestions], [releases], etc... make subforums for each plugin. And keep the current plugin forum of course for the general stuff, sumerizes of related plugins, how-to's, etc... just as it is now...
I would certainly LOVE this!!! :D...

This post was edited on 05-31-2005 at 11:30 PM by (CyBeRDuDe).
05-31-2005 11:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Forum Needs some Changing? - by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-30-2005 at 11:57 AM
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? - by Anubis on 05-30-2005 at 12:04 PM
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? - by absorbation on 05-30-2005 at 12:06 PM
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? - by ~INVASION~ on 05-30-2005 at 12:06 PM
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? - by absorbation on 05-30-2005 at 12:07 PM
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? - by user27089 on 05-30-2005 at 12:10 PM
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? - by -dt- on 05-30-2005 at 12:13 PM
RE: Forum Needs some Changing? - by (CyBeRDuDe) on 05-30-2005 at 12:21 PM