What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus?

[split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus?
Author: Message:
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
RE: [split] I thought Nod32 was something anti-virus?
Well, as I play with viruses, specifically new ones a LOT, heres something to consider.

The most recent AIM virus I reported to the AntiVirus companies took a LONG time for it to get added to the definitions, however, this is the order of the companies that responded the fastest.

1. Trend Micro (Response Time: 6 Days)
2. Symantec (Response Time: 10 days)
3. McAfee (Response Time: 45 days)

Trend Micro responded the fastest, deploying a definition for myself in their response email as well as in public definitions the very same day.

Symantec responded second fastest, deploying a Beta Virus Definition Package to myself the same day, and protection for the rest of the users with in two days.

McAfee responded the slowest, taking 45 days from my initial submission, 3 Resubmissions after initial submission, 14 customer service calls, about 10 emails...McAfee generally is first, I dont know why this particular virus rendered so many problems.  Beta Definition Package was deployed in their email, it caused a critical error in windows (thus, the risk of using Beta Definitions).  General (and SAFE/FIXED) definition was deployed four days later.

I do not submit to the other companies that manufacture AVG, F-Secure, NOD32, etc. as Symantec, McAfee, and Trend Micro have the highest market share among general computer users.

I will probably switch back to Symantec Norton or Trend Micro next year, McAfee has not impressed me much at all.  The most annoying thing is when it rechecks your subscription status every 2-4 days.  Hmm...if its set to expire in 2007, lets check again closer to that date in 2007...or when a user updates perhaps?  Symantec products confirm subscriptions during updating.

Anyway, thats my two cents.
01-02-2007 04:38 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: