What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » What happens when I put me laptop to sleep?

What happens when I put me laptop to sleep?
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep?
Depends on what you mean exactly...

If you mean hibernate (which i think you do):
What hibernate does is, it writes the data in your RAM memory to the harddisk and then completely shuts down the laptop. Next time you boot it will read the memory data from the harddisk and load it into RAM. This way your system is restored exactly like it was before you hibernated. It will start faster because everything is already in a loaded state.
You can use without any real problems.
- Doesn't affect battery life
- Doesn't overheat
- Only complication could be because the OS doesn't really shutdown... If you notice your apps slow down, just reboot the machine.

If you mean some form of standby:
Standby is to save power when you are not using the laptop for a while, but not designed to be used for really long times.
- It will affect your battery life (although very little power is used in standby)
- It probably won't overheat when you carry it around in a bag, but do not leave it in there for a long time, the laptop still consumes a little bit of power, which will cause things to heat up a bit.
- The complication of leaving your laptop in standby for a long time is that your battery will eventually run out of power and the system shuts down, loosing whatever data you didn't safe.

If you're not sure whether you use hibernate or standby: When you hibernate you will still see your laptop boot when you start it (showing BIOS messages), while with standby you will only see windows directly. Also, if a laptop is in standby it will be completely off with no LEDs on (except from maybe one indicating its charging the battery), in standby your power LED will blink on most systems.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-24-2007 01:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by WaqasTariq on 08-24-2007 at 12:12 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by Menthix on 08-24-2007 at 01:03 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by Nathan on 08-24-2007 at 01:13 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by markee on 08-24-2007 at 01:23 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by Nathan on 08-24-2007 at 02:09 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by Menthix on 08-24-2007 at 02:56 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by Nathan on 08-24-2007 at 03:04 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by WaqasTariq on 08-24-2007 at 05:09 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by Nathan on 08-24-2007 at 05:12 PM
RE: RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by WaqasTariq on 08-24-2007 at 06:52 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by Nathan on 08-24-2007 at 07:05 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by Verte on 08-25-2007 at 12:00 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by Nathan on 08-25-2007 at 12:18 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by ShawnZ on 08-25-2007 at 12:22 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by Verte on 08-25-2007 at 05:11 PM
RE: What happens when I put me laptop to sleep? - by WaqasTariq on 08-25-2007 at 08:47 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: