What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Offensive sound

Offensive sound
Author: Message:
rh

– / Male / –
RE: Offensive sound
hi!

i would also recommend not to use the sound if you don't like it, or switch off the sound option as whole.

i also have to say that i would find it kind of scary if we would remove this sound, just because it offends some people. i mean, there is a right of free speech, and i personally don't think that it is the right choice to limit your own freedom of speech. noone forces you to use these sounds, and so you have the freedom to not use them - so in any case you have all freedoms. but on the other side: there are people who want to use this sound (e.g. myself) and if you remove it, you will take away my freedom and there is no way to compensate this. i cannot simply decide to still use them if they got removed, while you can decide to simply NOT use them while they are there. lets keep our personal freedoms as big as possible.

you know, i personally could decide, that i think "terminator" is hurting my feelings, and the "imperial march" etc. this way all the sounds would have to be removed out of plus!
and i could decide that independent journalists hurt my feelings too. and anyone who is critizising the government etc.pp. i could even decide that i find anyone offensive who has a different opinion from mine. if everyone else would respect this, any democratic discussion would be impossible. we would end up in some kind of a "dictatorship of the conformists".

BTW: i know not one christian whose feelings would be hurt because of the "Oh my god"-sound, but perhaps thats different with the christians here in europe - i don't know.
04-29-2003 11:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Offensive sound - by richsmith on 04-29-2003 at 08:51 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: