What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Nicknames - Not Impossible

Nicknames - Not Impossible
Author: Message:
Ryder66

O.P. Wink  Nicknames - Not Impossible
Hello everyone!

I don't wanna appear presumptuous and maybe whatever I'm gonna write here will result wrong (in both content and form, because my english sucks :$)

Everytime someone asks for colored nicknames the answer is always the same:

quote:
This can't be done any more because Microsoft changed the way nicknames are displayed in Messenger.  Now, nicknames don't technically exist, and all contacts are displayed using their names as set on their Windows Live Profile.
[Just an example, written by whiz here]

But is it true?
I think it's not completely true. :D

CASE 1:

A updated to Windows Live Messenger 2011,
B didn't update, so still got Windows Live Messenger 2009

When A is chatting with B:
- A sees B's Windows Live Profile name instead of the nickname
- B sees A's nickname, the last one that A used when still got Windows Live Messenger 2009

CASE 2a:

Both A and B updated to Windows Live Messenger 2011

When A is chatting with B they see each others Windows Live Profile name instead of the nickname.

CASE 2b:

Both A and B updated to Windows Live Messenger 2011 and installed Messenger Plus! 5

In Messenger Plus! 5 there's an option to show contact's with "Profile name", to show 'em with "Nickname - Profile name" or to show only "Nickname".

If A is chatting with B and enabled the feature that shows only "Nickname" and B didn't so:
- A sees B's nickname, the last one that B used when still got Windows Live Messenger 2009
- B sees A's Windows Live Profile name

If B enables this feature too both A and B see each others nickname instead of Windows Live Profile name.

CASE 3:

Besides Windows Live Messenger 2011 and Messenger Plus! 5, A and B installed WLNameEditor, a popular script that allows you to change your nickname showing tags, emoticons and special characters.

If A uses this script to edit his nickname, B (that enabled the feature that shows nicknames) sees A's new nickname. The same if B got Windows Live Messenger 2009.

I tested everything I said, with Windows Live Messenger 2009 and 2011, patched and non patched with A-Patch, in both Windows XP and 7, with Messenger Plus! 5 and with and without MessengerDiscovery 3.1 ;)

So I demonstrated that in Windows Live Messenger 2011 we still can use nicknames, see them and change them. (H)

It can be hard, but I think that in future versions of Messenger Plus! we (you ;) ) should:

- Improve the feature that shows nicknames (becouse it causes a bug* that I'll report at the end of the post) and make it show nicknames instead of Windows Live Prifile names instead of user's name too
- Reintegrate the feature that solves tags in nicknames (because actually when you enable the option that shows nicknames you will see the horrible tags)
- Integrate something like WLNameEditor in Messenger Plus!, even without emoticons and simbols, so everyone will be able to edit his nickname without that script (I remember another add-on called StuffPlug which allowed to edit nicknames directly in Contact List, by clicking on it just like the personal message *-))

* the bug I mentioned above is that when you enable the feature that shows nicknames instead of names, in chat windows whent you type emoticons you will see them as text, and the image will be moved to the end of the message, like said here

So it's everything. I hope my post is understandable and useful.
If there's something that is not clear, just ask me. :)
If I made a grammatical or conceptual mistake and you want to correct me feel free to do it. :D

Greetings. (Y)
Ryder66

This post was edited on 08-11-2011 at 09:26 AM by Ryder66.
08-11-2011 09:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Nicknames - Not Impossible - by Ryder66 on 08-11-2011 at 09:25 AM
RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by matty on 08-11-2011 at 04:45 PM
RE: RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by Ryder66 on 08-11-2011 at 07:14 PM
RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by mich999 on 08-11-2011 at 09:03 PM
RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by CookieRevised on 08-15-2011 at 08:20 PM
RE: RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by Ryder66 on 08-17-2011 at 01:05 PM
RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by CookieRevised on 08-17-2011 at 04:11 PM
RE: RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by Ryder66 on 08-17-2011 at 05:01 PM