What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try
Author: Message:
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try
I myself am starting to get frustrated with the way this forum is heading. While flaming attacks about the sponsor have almost completely tailed off, in my opinion there's a new problem. Whether you call it lazyness, lack of thinking, or something else, I have seen the number of threads starting and continuing because of simple problems than can be solved by 5 minutes of exploration increase.

One instance I'm thinking of is a recent post by someone asking why message alerts weren't sounding when status was Busy, even though the option in Plus allows it to popup toasts. Now, I don't know about you, but last time I looked, you configured the message alert using Messenger's own Tools > Options, given it's part of the client itself.

Now, it wouldn't be too bad if my first reply was actually read properly, but it continued with recommendations to uninstall and reinstall Plus! I'm all for trying alternative solutions, but when the solution is quick, easy, and built into the client itself, what good is resinatlling Plus going to do?

Oh, and people, there is a Search button for a reason!
</rant>
[Image: spartaafk.png]
04-10-2005 07:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try
I have noticed, at times, that someone can post something, and then another person can post the excact same thing, but half an hour or so later. Its alright if say, two or three people post at the excact same time about the same thing, coz we all don't know what each other are doing, and where we are pstoing. :p

Also, some posts have a serious lack of content, and questions that coulld be answered simply if enough information was given in the first place, take hours or even days to be sorted. And some answers lack content to. You should try troubleshooting most of the possible answers before saying 'Reinstall MSN and see if it helps'. I myself have said that on a few occassions, but most of the time read through the problem a few times and through the thread and then try to provide as much information as possible.
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
04-10-2005 07:14 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

here's a hint: postcount.
or wait, here's another one: reputation.

This post was edited on 04-10-2005 at 07:20 PM by Millenium_edition.
04-10-2005 07:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try
quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
I have noticed, at times, that someone can post something, and then another person can post the excact same thing, but half an hour or so later. Its alright if say, two or three people post at the excact same time about the same thing, coz we all don't know what each other are doing, and where we are pstoing. :p

Also, some posts have a serious lack of content, and questions that coulld be answered simply if enough information was given in the first place, take hours or even days to be sorted. And some answers lack content to. You should try troubleshooting most of the possible answers before saying 'Reinstall MSN and see if it helps'. I myself have said that on a few occassions, but most of the time read through the problem a few times and through the thread and then try to provide as much information as possible.
I concede to the first point, having witnessed it first-person a number of times. And I totally agree with your second point: the thread I was describing being a (possibly OTT) case in point.
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
I think you've hit the nail on the head there.
04-10-2005 07:26 PM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
I myself am starting to get frustrated with the way this forum is heading. While flaming attacks about the sponsor have almost completely tailed off, in my opinion there's a new problem. Whether you call it lazyness, lack of thinking, or something else, I have seen the number of threads starting and continuing because of simple problems than can be solved by 5 minutes of exploration increase.

One instance I'm thinking of is a recent post by someone asking why message alerts weren't sounding when status was Busy, even though the option in Plus allows it to popup toasts. Now, I don't know about you, but last time I looked, you configured the message alert using Messenger's own Tools > Options, given it's part of the client itself.

Now, it wouldn't be too bad if my first reply was actually read properly, but it continued with recommendations to uninstall and reinstall Plus! I'm all for trying alternative solutions, but when the solution is quick, easy, and built into the client itself, what good is resinatlling Plus going to do?

Oh, and people, there is a Search button for a reason!
</rant>
Raceprouk. i am sorry, i misunderstood what the person was needing. I thought it had to do with the msg plus! sounds because he posted it in the messenger plus area of the forums
:( sorry :(

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
And for one thing i am just trying to help... so [Image: plzdie.gif]

This post was edited on 04-10-2005 at 07:29 PM by .Roy.
04-10-2005 07:26 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Brain cells - amazing what you can do with them when you try
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
Anubis. i am sorry, i misunderstood what the person was needing. I thought it had to do with the msg plus! sounds because he posted it in the messenger plus area of the forums
Anubis?
Anyway, I wasn't aiming my attack at anyone in particular (hence no names - hell, I didn't even link to the thread!), but more at the downhillness in general. And I can understand the confusion - you may notice I noticed the board it was on, and posted to that effect.
04-10-2005 07:28 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
well i know sometimes i'm kinda useless poster...but i'm no big spammer like some...well i can promise i'll try to help more...anyway most of the times i search about my problems :)
04-10-2005 08:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Its alright if say, two or three people post at the excact same time about the same thing, coz we all don't know what each other are doing, and where we are pstoing.
Yes its alright if they delete the post so only the first one is present.
I am getting very pissed over those stupid: "Edit: USERNAME was faster than me"
Delete the post, instead of that stupid edit
04-10-2005 08:33 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
I have noticed, at times, that someone can post something, and then another person can post the excact same thing, but half an hour or so later. Its alright if say, two or three people post at the excact same time about the same thing, coz we all don't know what each other are doing, and where we are pstoing.

You can always delete your post if that happens. Unless you post adds any information to the one before, if it has the same stuff just delete it.
Edit: A Madsen was faster then me :refuck:

But i have more to say :p
Another thing is, people seam to just post in threads saysint "try re-installing just for the hell of posting, ive seen a lot of pointless posts that either repeat previous posts or add nothing.
If you have nothing good to post, dont post :-/

Post count isnt a competition and posting to get your rep up usual results in a lower rep because your not helping at all and just spamming. So there really isnt much point in all these waste of posts.

This post was edited on 04-10-2005 at 08:38 PM by Plik.
04-10-2005 08:37 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by johny
quote:
Originally posted by Madman
Post count isnt a competition

4 some people it is...

True.

Tbh, a lot of people think that having a higher post count will mean you have a higher reputation, but that is untrue. It is the qualtiy of posts, not the quantity that counts. Some of the best helpers have very few posts because they post discriptive and long helpful posts, they don't just answer the question a little bit, then in a new post answer it some more.

I think a lot of people here help out, as well as spam a bit, but that doesn't mean they don't post unhelpful posts. The same for the people who only help really. I for one have recently started posting helpful posts because I think its wrong for me to have such a high reputation without posting helpful posts.

I also use the search button some of the time to see if the there has already been a thread for something the same. There is no point in people posting things again for the sake of a postcount when it has already been answered in a thread already.

Just my two penny's... Doubt they mean much, but anyway. :happy:

quote:
Originally posted by toddler

OMG its rebel wannabe's

I have no idea what you are on about, and i'm nobody's wannabe :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by toddler

didn't mean u :P its before your time here, rebelsean always use to post the same answer as what had already been said

:p alrighty then

This post was edited on 04-10-2005 at 09:07 PM by Tasha.
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
04-10-2005 08:47 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: