What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Win XP SP2 Released

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
Win XP SP2 Released
Author: Message:
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Win XP SP2 Released
It's not a patch, you can just change a registry setting if you don't like it.

quote:
TCP/IP and NBT configuration parameters for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314053

TcpNumConnections
Key: Tcpip\Parameters
Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number
Valid Range: 0 - 0xfffffe
Default: 0xfffffe
Description: This parameter limits the maximum number of connections that
TCP can have open at the same time.

[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
08-14-2004 01:51 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Lopardo, that setting is for the maximal total connections. Black_Forky is talking about maximal connections a second. Which will be the setting SP2 is really changing?

But i think if it is no more then 10 connections a seconds, but you can still have enough total connections open the it will be ok. I don't think an average user (even a average BitTorrent user) needs more then 10 connections a seconds, if you really do then you can always change it back, just SP2 will enalbe the firewall by default. SP2 is just really aimed at security and clueless/lazy users. In that case it's really good to set security high by default, if users are good enough to do without such security, then they can also search for the info on how to do that. If you think it's to much work to search such info, then you're part of the lazy users :).
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-14-2004 02:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
I put on SP2 a fair few days ago, and it scary that I haven't actually noticed it.
None of my programs have stopped working, nor have I noticed any incompatibility problems.
:shocked: Cool. :p

quote:
Apart from the Security Centre popping up at the very start, its not a great deal different.
Speaking of the security center, I read that it has alerts and a tray icon... I hope those can be disabled [for all users] because they sound annoying... :dodgy:
08-14-2004 09:24 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

Alerts and the tray icon will only show if there is something wrong with the anti virus software or firewall software you have installed - such as the status could not be detected, or the ones you have installed are incompatible. You can also disable it if you like.

I upgraded the other day, I haven't noticed any issues (apart from crap i bought on myself when playing with profiles and domains - but that had nothing to do with sp2).

Its stable, and like some others have said it does appear to be faster.

Now DZ, I know you're scared of new software and updates *cough PHP 5 *cough*, but did you know that if anything goes wrong, you can easily revert back to SP1 and your existing settings? Although I very much doubt anything will go wrong.

Like bach, I've been a tester of SP2 from the beginning, I did notice afew issues present in the early beta's but this RTM/Final looks like it has completely ironed out those issues.
08-14-2004 09:32 AM
BEWARE^^

I'm Ready I'm Ready I'm Ready I'm Re

38 / Other / –
its a great  sp2 pack really i mean it ;)
[Image: .jpg]
if you need help with unrealircd tell me and i will help ya out.
08-14-2004 09:44 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Its stable, and like some others have said it does appear to be faster.
Well, that's something to look forward to... :banana:

quote:
Now DZ, I know you're scared of new software and updates *cough PHP 5 *cough*,
:refuck:

I actually like software updates, and nearly all my software is up-to-date... it's just the really big updates that "scare" me.

I'll install PHP 5 when I have to, and I'll install XP SP2 when Microsoft says I should. :p

quote:
but did you know that if anything goes wrong, you can easily revert back to SP1 and your existing settings?
I did read that... it's kinda unbelievable though... that must be a pretty sophisticated backup system. :-/
08-14-2004 09:58 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

It just copies your system directories to a backup directory..nothing too complicated :refuck:
08-14-2004 11:22 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Blahhh... :dodgy:

OK, new stupid question! Go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winx...tain/winxpsp2.mspx and click "Download and Deploy Service Pack 2 to Multiple Computers." On that page it says...
quote:
DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for more information on receiving Windows XP SP2.
:o Why is that first line bold and capitalized? Is there some danger? It's the same 266MB WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe that all the sites are talking about, and that I assume everyone is installing. :-/
08-15-2004 05:06 AM
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I guess it's only for your bandwith reasons, why dl something that's 200 MB when you can get it for 90 some MB... if you want, neowin has the link to the 90 MB one, but you can't slipstream that one, only the 266MB.

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/...9c147e24208bde.exe

This post was edited on 08-15-2004 at 05:10 AM by ddunk.
08-15-2004 05:09 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

If you are updating one computer its recommended that you use the express install which is roughly 90mb. There is no danger, its just recommended for users who only need to install it once on one version. The 266mb version includes patches for all versions of XP and is recommended for network administrators.
08-15-2004 05:10 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: