What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » How do I stop the Update Popup

How do I stop the Update Popup
Author: Message:
mike139115

40 / Male / –
O.P. Huh?  How do I stop the Update Popup
I work in an office that we have Windows messenger installed and we installed Message Plus on all of the workstations so that we could have chats logged.  Now that the new version of plus came out, all of the users are installing it, and they don't read anything and then complain to us that they are getting all kinds of popups.  Instead of going around to everyone's machine, is there a way to stop the popup that says there is an update available?
04-27-2005 10:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
RE: How do I stop the Update Popup
Sounds like you installed the sponsor. Go to this thread to see how to remove it.

Or is it just one popup saying there is an update available? If that is the problem, why not update it? It would be silly not too :P
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
04-28-2005 05:56 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mike139115

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: How do I stop the Update Popup
I am talking about the popup saying there is an update available.  We would install the update, but its the users in our office that just click next on everything and don't know about the sponsor program.  Then they call us up and we have to go over there and uninstall it.
04-28-2005 03:01 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Here are some video guides to make things simple (i made them) :P

Installing without sponser

Removing sponser the easy way
04-28-2005 03:05 PM
mike139115

40 / Male / –
I know how to install it without the sponsor program, but the users in our office don't take the time to even look at what they are doing, so they just install it.  I want to know if there is a way to disable the popup that says there is an update available?
04-28-2005 03:10 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Make an annoucement about installing plus, you will want the update if your using messenger 7 because it fixes many bugs :)
04-28-2005 03:15 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
mike139115, if you guys have a network that is accessible throughout the entire office wouldn't it be easier to push along the install with the parameter /SilentInstallNoSponsor. That would be the easiest way. You guys obviously would need to have a way to install software on every PC without going computer to computer so you could easily do it that way.
04-28-2005 03:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mike139115
is there a way to stop the popup that says there is an update available?
Yes, there are ways of disabling the Auto-update Notification feature. The most simple solution would be to check the box not to check for further updates once the Auto-update Notification dialog box shows up. However, I can see that this is not a proper solution.

The second way is a bit more advanced, but I assume it is no problem for you. It requires changing a registry setting. Just for the record, this is an undocumented, hidden feature, which may not work - but as far as I am aware, it has always functioned properly.

The registry setting required is a DWORD value named AutoUpdateNotification set to False (0). The registry setting is located at HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2 (not MsgPlus3); if not present, simply create it. A program called Plus! Tweak is available to edit registry settings in an easy way (see this page for the program and all the registry settings), but I don't think you'll need it.

Good luck :)
04-28-2005 03:40 PM
mike139115

40 / Male / –
Thank you very much Tochjo.  That's exactly what I was looking for.
04-28-2005 04:21 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: