What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Always On Top option of WLM affects Event Viewer window and make it AOT also

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Always On Top option of WLM affects Event Viewer window and make it AOT also
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Always On Top option of WLM affects Event Viewer window and make it AOT also
When I select Contact List to be Always On Top from WLM's options, beginning from the second activation of WLM Contact List window (assuming; when selecting Always On Top, WLM Contact List is active firstly) Event Viewer window starts to be On Top too and its option for Always On Top is disabled when WLM's option is enabled. You can try and you will see my point on your own. I think it is caused by the way that Event Viewer is fully dependent to Contact List and acts together when minimizing WLM to systray.
05-03-2007 10:48 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Always On Top option of WLM affects Event Viewer window and make it AOT also
Hmmm, I swear i replied to this :o.

Anyway, confirmed... WLM's option for contactlist always ontop and Plus!' option for event viewer always ontop seem to be biting eachother.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-04-2007 10:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Always On Top option of WLM affects Event Viewer window and make it AOT also
When thinking how to solve this problem, I have remembered another problem which was posted in the very early times of new Messenger Plus! Live and it seems not to be fixed yet. I was planning to wait for new 4.21 for a possible fix but when I noticed that bug was posted at June 2006 I felt it would be better to report it again before new release. This is really a big problem and emerges especially for Personalized Status window, because when it is being opened, it is centered according to Contact List and it stays at the very behind of Contact List. My advice is: if those codes that cause the problem with Event Viewer mentioned in this thread, I don't know whichever codes they are but, can be cut from Event Viewer's codes and pasted among Personalized Status window's codes. So while solving the problem with Event Viewer, we can solve another problem with Personalized Status window, both are caused by the WLM Contact List's Always On Top option.

Also I have thought another good idea. As you know Event Viewer is dependent to Contact List and can only be minimized by minimizing Contact List. So all Plus! users used to minimize it in that way. However; Event Viewer, when its Always On Top option is enabled, stops to be minimized together with Contact List so users may be surprised with this behaviour.  So let's change its option's text as "Always Open&On Top".
05-05-2007 10:18 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Always On Top option of WLM affects Event Viewer window and make it AOT also
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
When thinking how to solve this problem, I have remembered another problem which was posted in the very early times of new Messenger Plus! Live and it seems not to be fixed yet.
What you explained there is not to be fixed. It makes no sense to remember a status before the status which you set before the personalised status. If the personalised status is set to something and you choose to 'reset' it, it means to reset the _personalised_ status, meaning the name tag, and/or additional messages....

And the next things you say don't have anything todo with what you say in the first few sentences...

Next, there isn't anything wrong with the z-order positioning of the personalised status window either. If it is opened it is put in focus just as any other normal window. And if you minimize it or bring another window in focus by yourself it is very normal that the previous window (pers. status window in this case) will be behind the new window. That is how Windows works.

Last, fixing something and coding something new isn't as simple as copy/pasing some block of code from somewhere to somewhere else (I'd whish :p).

In the last paragraph, you jump again to the topic of this thread, being the event viewer window's on top feature. In regards to your new suggestion: if you don't want to see the event viewer then close it. It doesn't need a minimize button, nor a change in its caption of the on-top menu. The only ting needed to be fixed a bit is the behaviour of the on-top feature of the event viewer window, which you are right about, nothing more.

Try to be a bit more consistant next time you post something ;)

This post was edited on 05-05-2007 at 11:50 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-05-2007 11:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Thanks for the report, I'll consider it to be a known limitation for now.
[Image: signature2.gif]
05-06-2007 02:24 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Always On Top option of WLM affects Event Viewer window and make it AOT also
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
What you explained there is not to be fixed. It makes no sense to remember a status before the status which you set before the personalised status. If the personalised status is set to something and you choose to 'reset' it, it means to reset the _personalised_ status, meaning the name tag, and/or additional messages....
I think you are the sole guy who understands "Automatically reset my status" as resetting only name tags, pm's and auto-messages but not status. Every normal Messenger Plus! user expect it to reset their status from Away to Online again for instance. And if you tried it before posting, you would notice that it resets your status also after the specified period. Let's ask it to Patchou while he is here whether your understanding is true or mine. Also and also why did you jump that topic in that thread. I especially linked my post to that thread's related post which reports the bug about Personalized Status window is behind the Contact List and note that I didn't say another problem I have posted..., but said another problem which was posted.. because I didn't report it. Since you jumped my post on that thread, let me write my solution methods I have thought about resetting status. For example if we enable "Display Personalized Status window when I change my status to Away" from Messenger Plus!' Preferences, let Plus! sit between WLM and its status change method and when user try to change his status to Away, let Plus! prevent status to be changed until the window closed, either automatically or manually. Thus as count down ends, user's status can be reset to the previous one. Also postponing changing status until PersoStat window closing would be more meaningful because if user wants to set some auto-message it would take some time definitely so user is still Online when he is writing his messages. And it would be smarter to change name-tag, pm at the same time with status change. Currently status is changed to Away firstly and name tag etc. comes after some time.

quote:
And the next things you say don't have anything todo with what you say in the first few sentences...
Really? Please read carefully.

quote:
Next, there isn't anything wrong with the z-order positioning of the personalised status window either. If it is opened it is put in focus just as any other normal window. And if you minimize it or bring another window in focus by yourself it is very normal that the previous window (pers. status window in this case) will be behind the new window. That is how Windows works.
What I always advice you to do. Please think twice when posting. At least think on your writings before sending your post. Also don't think people are silly as much as not being capable to know how Windows works.

quote:
Last, fixing something and coding something new isn't as simple as copy/pasing some block of code from somewhere to somewhere else (I'd whish :p).
I am not programmer; however I know that it is not that much easy as much as you know. Can't you see that my writing aims to guide in some way.

quote:
The only ting needed to be fixed a bit is the behaviour of the on-top feature of the event viewer window, which you are right about, nothing more.
So you think when Contact List is minimized, Event Viewer should too regardless of its Always On Top option. But what about people who want to keep Contact List closed and follow contact activities from only Event Viewer?

quote:
Try to be a bit more consistant next time you post something ;)
05-06-2007 09:49 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
I think you are the sole guy who understands "Automatically reset my status" as resetting only name tags, pm's and auto-messages but not status. Every normal Messenger Plus! user expect it to reset their status from Away to Online again for instance.
Please reread what you posted before, before you accuse me of not knowing how Plus! works or that I need to try stuff out before I post something!. I don't know everything about Plus! (obviously), but I sure do know how the basic functions work and should work in a logic manner.

You suggest to reset the status back to the status before the status you've set before the status (yes, twice!!) you set with the personalised status. That makes absolutely NO sense.

If my status is 'Online' and I set it to the personalised status 'Busy {Working}' it is obviously that it will reset it back to 'Online' when the personalised status is reset.

In that same manner, it is plain logic that if your status is 'Away' and you set a personalised status 'Away {Sleeping}' that it will be reset back to 'Away'...

Please preview your posts before your post something and make sure you make some sense. 9 posts out of the 10 you make are incoherent stuff, or unlogic suggestions, or you start talking suddenly about something completely unrelated.

quote:
Also and also why did you jump that topic in that thread. I especially linked my post to that thread's related post which reports the bug about Personalized Status window is behind the Contact List and note that I didn't say another problem I have posted..., but said another problem which was posted..
I didn't say you posted another problem. Who posted that other problem is completely, but utterly completely besides the point. It completely does not matter if you or anyone else posted about that other problem, that other problem is off topic and unrelated to this thread. And THAT is why it doesn't make any sense, and quite frankly completely incoherent with what you are talking about in the first sentences of your previous post (which is about the status itself, NOT about the window z-order placements). And all that previous post is again off topic from this thread because this thread is about the on-top feature of the Event Viewer window.

You make a thread about Problem A (with stuff in it which is already inlogic, but let's put that aside)... A few posts later you post about a completely unrelated problem B, but you base stuff of your post on things you posted about problem A. In that same post you also link and talk about problem C, which is again completely unrelated to A and B...

And to make matters worse, in your last post you now start talking about a suggestion which suddenly seems to come again completely out of the blue. You did not said anything remotely reassembling what you just now said, befiore, in any post. It is not an explaination of what you were trying to say before, it is again something completely new, but you make it as if it is an explaination of a previous post of yours. (and that happens in almost all your posts you make). So it is quite normal that people do not understand you or even don't bother anymore reading your posts.

You did not said anything about prosponing the personalised status countdown until the window is filled in and confirmed before, in any post (and that is all there is to say about that suggestion, not the complete random stuff you throw into it). Everything you said before was completely something else.

quote:
Really? Please read carefully.

(...)

What I always advice you to do. Please think twice when posting. At least think on your writings before sending your post.
For your information I take that as an insult now. I always think before I post something and I always try things out first and I will not post about something if I'm not sure it will help or is the correct information, and I do research before posting something.

quote:
quote:
I am not programmer; however I know that it is not that much easy as much as you know. Can't you see that my writing aims to guide in some way.
Then do not suggest such stuff! Your additional suggestions to a problem do not guide at all, in fact they do the opposite.

quote:
quote:
The only ting needed to be fixed a bit is the behaviour of the on-top feature of the event viewer window, which you are right about, nothing more.
So you think when Contact List is minimized, Event Viewer should too regardless of its Always On Top option. But what about people who want to keep Contact List closed and follow contact activities from only Event Viewer?
(Who again said something about not reading what has been posted?)

What you just said here has got nothing todo with the minimize button (or rather the lack of) which you were talking about in your previous post. I said you were correct about the on-topic feature of the Event Viewer not working quite good in some situations, which Matty also confirmed, nothing more.

If the user want his Event Viewer visible while the contact list is closed, he can use the on-topic feature. This is how it currently works!!!! (maybe you should have tried this out before asking this question, or accusing me of not knowing how Plus! works)

The minimize button thing has got nothing todo with this, but reagrding that (and to jump again to something different): I said if you want the Event Viewer to be out of sight, you can close it; so you don't need a minimize button.

------------

So, please stop making completely incoherent, off topic talk/explainations with all sorts of stuff thrown in, together with some random suggestions which are completely inlogic or which have nothing todo with your first suggestions or remarks.

You might mean it well, but all the random talk and off-topicness thrown in makes it extremely hard to understand anything from your posts. And less and less people will actually bother to even read your posts and trying to decypher them (your reputation reflects that). Slow down in posting and review your posts before posting. Especially since you have problems with English it is extremely important to make your suggestions understandable.

This post was edited on 05-06-2007 at 12:35 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-06-2007 11:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Always On Top option of WLM affects Event Viewer window and make it AOT also
I am clarifying all things in this post. Although it is very long I hope you read and understand everything.

I really enjoy when I see you have replied to my thread because as you are the most active and respected member of this community, I would like to benefit from your writings. However, when I see your misunderstandings or unrelated writings, I feel really sad. What a pity among the repliers to my posts only you complain about inconsistency of my posts or suggestions. I am really in doubt about whether I can't write my suggestions explicitly or you don't understand my point. I have learned English at school (i.e., I don't know English at everyday life) so I have only chance to write my posts in an official language. Therefore, I spend a lot of effort to make my writings more understandable, and also grammar-friendly. And as you suggest, I preview my writings about 10 times before sending. I am sorry if those are still bad in English and consistency. If so, I would like you to tolerate me.

I don't suggest things with the same shape which they come to my mind. I investigate them thoroughly and think every details before sending them to forum. That is why my posts get longer and longer.

I have two suggestions about Personalized Status and Personalized Status window. Former is about Personalized Status. When we enable "Display Personalized Status window when I change my status to Away" option in MsgPlus! preferences, it is displayed normally when we set our status to Away. If that option is there, it means there is a good reason to display it together with changing status to Away because user wants to set some Personal info in his Away status and he don't want to set it as Away solely. So let's see options in that window. Name tag, personal message, auto-responder, auto-reset and 'show me as'. I personally would like to use those every option in that window as well as that auto-reset option. But what a pity I can't use it because when I click on Away from Messenger, it changes my status and afterwards display Event Viewer. So my status is Away before opening Perso Stat window and there is no status to reset but Away again (as you said in your post). So it looks like I would like to reset my status twice before that Personalized Status. However it is not the case. If I disable the option in MsgPlus! preferences and set my status to Away, and then open Personalized Status window and add some tag etc., I don't have any right to insist on resetting my status to the first one. But with enabled "Display Perso.........change to Away" option, window is displayed automatically and we should have right to reset status to previous one. If you have still difficulties to understand my solution, I am repeating it here. With that option enabled, when we try to change our status to Away, let Plus! prevent status to be changed until Personalized Status window (which is displayed automatically with the attempt to change status to Away) is closed either Automatically (as you know it counts 15 seconds before closing) or manually after writing some info on that. So, Messenger will behave like the same way when we open Personalized Status window from More Statuses>Personalized Status. Thus, we would even be able to set 'Show me as' as Busy with a sudden decision change without appearing as Away to contacts even at any moment. So according to my suggestion, the option text "Display Personalized Status window when I change my status to Away" may be changed to "Display Personalized Status window when I attempt to change my status to Away". This is not a must but I wrote it to make you understand my point more clearly. But let's come why I am writing this totally off-topic suggestion here. You are guilty about that. Because when I link people to the thread which reports the bug about Personalized Status window remains at behind of Contact List when Contact List is Always On Top, you supposed mistakenly that I am talking about my post on that thread and want it to be again discussed. So you have read it and brought that -bug about Status Resetting- here. In fact, I was planning to propose that bug to the agenda again (but of course at the end of that old thread), because in my opinion my suggestion should be implemented but you moved it to this thread and we are talking about that now.

My latter suggestion is about Personalized Status window. When user enabled Always On Top option of WLM Contact List, Personalized Status window remains behind Contact List and despite your writings, it can't be focused, because Contact List is always On Top. Let me explain what I am talking about. If your Contact List is open and you open Personalized Status window with any way except the command /persostat in a conversation, it is automatically detects where Contact List is and place itself at the midpoint of Contact List. If Contact List is closed, minimized to taskbar or you use /persostat command, Personalized Status window is opened at the midpoint of screen. And therefore when Contact List is open and always on top, Personalized Status window cannot be opened at the midpoint of screen but at the midpoint of Contact List. For example I place my contact list at the left hand side or right hand side of screen, so when I open Perso Stat window, it is automatically opened at left or right hand side of screen, on the contact list. So why I brought that topic to this thread at my second post. Because I have thought that since Event Viewer can be dependent to Contact List's Always On Top feature and when it is enabled it also makes Event Viewer on top, let Patchou code Personalized Status window like that, thus when we enable Contact List's Always On Top option, it automatically set Personalized Status window as Always On Top too, and when we open Perso Stat window, let it be shown on top of Contact List, even if Contact List is Always On Top. So I didn't jump any other topic at my second post, but said something related to Always On Top options. At the second paragraph, you are right, I have jumped to another subject. But note that it is not completely irrelevant to the thread's topic. It is again related to Always On Top options, and I think this thread is the best place to talk about that also. As you know, most of the applications have a minimize button. For example if we enable Contact List's Always On Top feature, sometimes we need to see behind of it. So what can we do? We can minimize it either to taskbar or systray. But for Event Viewer, it is not like that. Patchou has made it dependent to Contact List so he didn't put a minimize button to Event Viewer, (and I think it is a very good idea not to clutter up the taskbar with its button too). When we want to see behind of Event Viewer, we can minimize Contact List to systray and succeed to see what we want to see behind Event Viewer. But when we enable Always On Top option of Event Viewer and we need to see behind of it, either we must close it or move to other parts of screen. Because we can't minimize it. This behaviour is really a different one compared to most of the other applications. So I have reported that bug too in this thread. Because Messenger Plus! users used to minimize it together with Contact List. But when user enable its Always On Top option, he can be surprised because it starts not to be minimized together with Contact List and remains always open.(Although I have thought this is a bug at first, now I think users may want to keep Contact List closed and follow their contacts' activities from Event Viewer, so current way of working is good). So I suggest to change its option text as Always Open&On Top. Let me reply now one by one to your paragraphs.

quote:
Please reread what you posted before, before you accuse me of not knowing how Plus! works or that I need to try stuff out before I post something!. I don't know everything about Plus! (obviously), but I sure do know how the basic functions work and should work in a logic manner.
I am %100 sure what I have written and I hope when you understand my point and reread my posts, you will acknowledge me to be right and probably you will notice that my point is also understandable from that second post even it is too short compared to this one.

You should definitely try stuff before posting about them. Because we all should do that. In fact, you didn't need to try especially that feature because it says "Reset my status" and you should have understood it normally like me. But I can't understand how you could think it would reset only name tag etc., I think you are trying to find something against me. It resets status and even it is written there. So this community know who is right here.

quote:
You suggest to reset the status back to the status before the status you've set before the status (yes, twice!!) you set with the personalised status. That makes absolutely NO sense.

If my status is 'Online' and I set it to the personalised status 'Busy {Working}' it is obviously that it will reset it back to 'Online' when the personalised status is reset.

In that same manner, it is plain logic that if your status is 'Away' and you set a personalised status 'Away {Sleeping}' that it will be reset back to 'Away'...

I think here is clear from my first paragraph so don't reply here.
quote:
Please preview your posts before your post something and make sure you make some sense. 9 posts out of the 10 you make are incoherent stuff, or unlogic suggestions, or you start talking suddenly about something completely unrelated.
I am sure my suggestions are full of sense. Because I preview them more then ten times before posting. Also I don't start talking about other things. Maybe you are not capable to notice the relation between them.

quote:
I didn't say you posted another problem. Who posted that other problem is completely, but utterly completely besides the point. It completely does not matter if you or anyone else posted about that other problem, that other problem is off topic and unrelated to this thread. And THAT is why it doesn't make any sense, and quite frankly completely incoherent with what you are talking about in the first sentences of your previous post (which is about the status itself, NOT about the window z-order placements). And all that previous post is again off topic from this thread because this thread is about the on-top feature of the Event Viewer window.
We are talking about 4 posts of mine. One is posted on that other thread and 3 of them are in this thread. The one at that other thread is about Personalized Status and resetting status. Other three are here. First of them is reporting the bug about Event Viewer. Second one is suggesting an improvement about Event Viewer. Also it says something about the bug of Personalized Status window and guide how to solve it. It makes sense because my suggestion is based on the way of working of Event Viewer which cause the bug which I report in the first post of this thread. And the third one brings some new ideas which are not related to this thread's topic. But you brought that subject of my post on that old thread here. You have thought I have linked people to my post at that other thread, which is not the case. I was going to write my suggestions at that other thread, however while you brought it here, I wanted to write them here. That is it.
quote:
You make a thread about Problem A (with stuff in it which is already inlogic, but let's put that aside)...
I think you are talking about the first post of this thread and you, as well as MenthiX, said I am right about it. And now you are saying my bug report is inlogic, so you and MenthiX are inlogic too. Because you confirmed that bug.
quote:
A few posts later you post about a completely unrelated problem B, but you base stuff of your post on things you posted about problem A. In that same post you also link and talk about problem C, which is again completely unrelated to A and B...
No, I didn't link people to problem C in that same post. You have brought problem C here. And also problem B is not completely unrelated, it is related to AOT option of Event Viewer. I think you definitely confused something in this paragraph, especially with problem A, B and C definitions.

quote:
And to make matters worse, in your last post you now start talking about a suggestion which suddenly seems to come again completely out of the blue.
You are right here. But what a pity who have started to talk about that subject at first is you, not me.
quote:
... but you make it as if it is an explaination of a previous post of yours...
No, I don't try to explain something at my previous posts, because I know it is a completely irrelevant thing.

quote:
You did not say anything about prosponing the personalised status countdown until the window is filled in and confirmed before, in any post (and that is all there is to say about that suggestion, not the complete random stuff you throw into it). Everything you said before was completely something else.
You have definitely confused my writings here. I didn't say postponing personalized status countdown until the window is filled in and confirmed before, but I said, let Plus! postpone changing status to Away if user enable "Display Personalized ...........................changed to Away" option in MsgPlus! preferences and attempt to change it to Away. Thus, Plus! can reset status to previous one if user specify a period when Perso Stat window is displayed automatically when user attempted to change his status to Away.

quote:
For your information I take that as an insult now. I always think before I post something and I always try things out first and I will not post about something if I'm not sure it will help or is the correct information, and I do research before posting something.
I am not concerned about how you take that, but you must think carefully before posting. If you thought as much as me before posting, all these wouldn't be written.
quote:
Then do not suggest such stuff! Your additional suggestions to a problem do not guide at all, in fact they do the opposite.
It is your fault, you can't understand my effort to help.

quote:

quote:

quote:

(Who again said something about not reading what has been posted?)

Me. Who caused me to understand in that wrong way? You.

quote:
What you just said here has got nothing todo with the minimize button (or rather the lack of) which you were talking about in your previous post. I said you were correct about the on-topic feature of the Event Viewer not working quite good in some situations, which Matty also confirmed, nothing more.

If the user want his Event Viewer visible while the contact list is closed, he can use the on-topic feature. This is how it currently works!!!! (maybe you should have tried this out before asking this question, or accusing me of not knowing how Plus! works)
I know how it currently works!!!! I don't want to have a minimize button also. What I want is changing that feature's text as Always Open&On Top.

Thanks for reading.
05-07-2007 03:09 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
I'm lost...what's this thread about again?
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-07-2007 03:29 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
what's this thread about again?
About how to write an entire book in a single forum post? :o
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-07-2007 03:47 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version