What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » New Installer for Messenger Plus!

Pages: (8): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 » Last »
New Installer for Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by DJVG
The hell with it: http://www.djvg.net/dl/pluswithoutadwarecrap.zip

Zip with all information included and a installer script.

Works on 7 x64, should work on other oses as well.

Have fun with it guys! (i did not modify any plus files!!)
No, it wont work on all OSs.

Mosty because you hard coded the installation paths in that batch file.
Since you need an existing installation, it is quite easy (and very recommended) to
1) check if there is an existing installation to begin with

2) get the user's installation paths from Skype and Plus! from the registry.
See how in my decryptAll.bat and encryptAll.bat command line tools for mass decryption/encryption of Plus! logs

But equally important:
3) The virtual cam driver will not be "updated" by doing all this, since it it not located in the installation path of Plus! but in the driver repository of Windows.

4) You forgot to include the sounds and other additional media. Those are not installed in the installation path, but rather in the users application data repository. Not vital stuff, but still...

5) hint/tip: The 'settings' map contains the Plus!Network installer.

In other words, there is much more to it to let it (propery) work than simply overwriting files in the installation map!!!

;-)

----

Notes to others:

1) Note that this will not "install the latest" version per say, but simply attempts to copy the program files contained within the zip over your already installed files. Hence the reason why you need an existing installation, because nothing get installed, no settings are created, etc. It would work more or less for now, but as soon as an update is present, this wont do you any good anymore.

2) In case you perform step 2 from the readme file and you're not carefull, "crap" can still be installed.

3) This will not update/install the Plus! virtual cam driver. Which may lead to all kinds of unexpected problems.

4) Less important, but still. This will not update/install the additional sounds or other possible media.

;)

This post was edited on 03-26-2013 at 08:56 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-24-2013 02:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DJVG

RE: RE: RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by DJVG
The hell with it: http://www.djvg.net/dl/pluswithoutadwarecrap.zip

Zip with all information included and a installer script.

Works on 7 x64, should work on other oses as well.

Have fun with it guys! (i did not modify any plus files!!)
No, it wont work on all OSs.

Mosty because you hard coded the installation paths in that batch file.
Since you need an existing installation, it is quite easy (and very recommended) to
1) check if there is an existing installation to begin with

2) get the user's installation paths from Skype and Plus! from the registry.
See how in my decryptAll.bat and encryptAll.bat command line tools for mass decryption/encryption of Plus! logs

3) The virtual cam driver will not be "updated" by doing all this, since it it not located in the installation path of Plus! but in the driver repository of Windows.

4) You forgot the include the sounds. (but again, those are not installed in the installation path, but rather in the users application data repository)

5) The 'settings' map contains the Plus!Network installer.

In other words, there is much more to it to let it (propery) work than simply overwriting files in the installation map!!!

;-)

----

Notes to others:

1) Note that this will not "install the latest" version per say, but simply attempts to copy the program files contained within the zip over your already installed files. Hence the reason why you need an existing installation, because nothing get installed, no settings are created, etc. Also, as soon as an update is present, this wont do you any good.

2) In case you perform step 2 from the readme file and you're not carefull, "crap" can still be installed.

3) This will not update/install the Plus! virtual cam driver. Which may lead to all kinds of unexpected problems.

4) This will not update/install the additional sounds.

;)

Yeah your right, i've removed it!

Thanks for your information!
03-24-2013 04:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus!
In theory you can make your own installer though. In a nutshell by:
1) Checking latest version number (use the Update URLs for that)
2) Use that number to create the proper URL to download all the needed packages from the Plus! servers.
3) Install all those packages by unpacking and then copying the files to their proper maps, and others by initiating the proper installer (like the virtual webcam driver).

Of course, more specific checks need to be done, like checking of the current installed version, the used paths, etc...
It's certainly not impossible (though it would be against the terms of usage I suppose) but it requires some serious checking and all and it does have caveats. For example, if they change the Update URLs or the URLs of the packages (or the amount packages) your installer wont work anymore.

---

A better (and much easier) possibility is to use the still existing /destination and /silent command line parameters.

Execute the setup with the /Silent command line parameter.
A different installation path can be specified with the /destination parameter if you wish to do so.
eg: PlusSkypeSetup.exe /Silent /Destination=C:\PlusSkype

(small downside is that you can't select the default language.... but that could be solved by setting the proper language either in the preferences of Plus! or either directly in the registry)

;-)

This post was edited on 03-26-2013 at 09:18 AM by CookieRevised.
03-24-2013 06:24 PM
viksra

Where is Messenger Plus' official response to this matter?
03-27-2013 07:27 PM
a.smith

Just registered to tell Yuna to get bent.

tl;dr - I'm not installing this, and by the looks of it, neither is anyone else...

Let me guess, in the next version you won't even ask the user to pick one, just install all 3... (Ironically, like you used to.)

Will be interesting to see your reports in 6 months time, from the massive userbase, to a handful of point and clickers that just update aimlessly, no willing user would happily want to use any of the software you compile with Plus! for the following reasons.

Toolbars, why? How does it benefit me?
Make it my default search engine? Not heard of google?
Make it my homepage? Again, why? What benefits does it bring?
03-27-2013 07:32 PM
duck!

– / Male / Flag
It's so sad to see Messenger Plus! reduced to this. The days when this forum got excited about new versions are well and truly over. People are probably dreading the next version as they seem to be hitting new lows all the time now.

At least they haven't come through on the promise of a new forum though. That would've killed the little fan base they have left.
QUACK QUACK QUACK

03-29-2013 02:36 AM
YottabyteWizard

36 / Male / Flag
I got inactive from the forums for some time now, and after the notice about WLM being shutdown I came back to at least know what happened to the good old piece of software Plus! once was (even though I don't use it anymore since Yuna released their 2-3 first version, or so)

It's a pity to see what Yuna became... looks to me if Plus was going to die at a certain moment, Yuna is just killing it faster than I expected.

It was a pleasure to know you guys, much of the users I met here are really helpful and friendly, this was fun. So nice to meet you people.

What I just don't understand is... wth is wrong with Yuna ? Looks like there's nobody actually following the releases nor installing it anymore, why on earth are they making it worst?

RIP Plus.

This post was edited on 04-09-2013 at 07:51 AM by YottabyteWizard.
04-09-2013 07:04 AM
Nathalie
Former Yuna Software

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: New Installer for Messenger Plus!
You can use this link  to install Messenger Plus! (for Skype) without the toolbar or any other offer   

http://goo.gl/O0nXL

This post was edited on 04-23-2013 at 08:29 AM by Nathalie.
Nathalie
Community Liaison
Yuna Software

04-23-2013 08:28 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie
You can use this link  to install Messenger Plus! (for Skype) without the toolbar or any other offer   

http://goo.gl/O0nXL
Thanks.

------------

Note to others: be carefull, this installer does not have a specific "accept & install" button!

As soon as you click the "Next" button, Plus! will be installed without any second confirmation. :-/
This because the second screen, with the "accept & install" button, is simply skipped.

(you can't expect them to do everything right... even something as simple as renaming a button, right?)

This post was edited on 04-23-2013 at 09:50 AM by CookieRevised.
04-23-2013 09:49 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
And as I mentioned above,
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
FYI, the ad-ware components do not work at all under Windows XP, they do not get installed regardless of what checkboxes are selected.
I ran the installer a bunch of times through a VM, and not once was there any trace of toolbars or any other adware related tools anywhere. I used a system diff tool (WhatChanged) to do an inspection and found zero extras being added.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-24-2013 02:16 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (8): « First « 3 4 5 6 [ 7 ] 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: