What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » why do we have to post replys to gain levels

Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
why do we have to post replys to gain levels
Author: Message:
billywoods1

35 / Male / –
RE: RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels
quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
A spammer can just as easily get a high rank as yourself, Billy.

Think about it, yes they are spamming. But what if they do it in a way that it doesn't seem like actual spam, but they are. Most of the senior members and up notice it and get annoyed by it, INCLUDING yourself. I mean, its not fair if someone sits their providing quality posts bustin their ass off just to get a nice rank to prove they are helpful. When a spammer can do it in half the time and just has to make things up.
quote:
Or. Keep the ranks remove the post counts and the staff decide who to promote and who to not, though same situation arouses, where people are singled out.

Sorry, had to pick that out. :P

Yes, they are spamming, and people like Joseph get punished for that. He lost 60%-70% of his post count for spamming and that should be enough of a warning for anyone. No one can really sit there for hours getting up to my level by posting complete rubbish without people noticing, it's easy to do once or twice but you can't get 500 posts that way. I doubt you could get 50. Joseph himself found that out.

Well, the next idea's fine, as long as the staff can be bothered - could you honestly sit there looking through a forum full of posts and give people ranks on it? Plus, there are complications: would T&T/GCC be counted? Would staff be biased in some way? Would time between posts come into effect?

I really don't think there is any need to change the system. Spammers get punished and admins, no matter how good, will not sit filing through tens of thousands of members.
[Image: title.gif]
Please visit my site, Lamerde, by clicking this broken picture. :mipdodgy: It's intentional. Honestly.

08-11-2003 09:11 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
EvilSeph
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels
ffs you bitach, i left out "the"

ANYWAY, i was requesting a trial...so shush ^_^

This post was edited on 08-12-2003 at 01:52 AM by EvilSeph.
08-11-2003 09:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
**ELiSiNhA**

*eLi^^*

35 / Female / –
Wink  RE: why do we have to post replys to gain levels
i think that posts show how much u r connected to the plus..... so...... if u r realy linked with it...u'll have a better rank....otherwise u won't......it is useful.... who knows.....
i like the idea.......
Bye^^bye.....
Elisa ;)
(F) *eLi* (L)
08-11-2003 11:25 PM
ranicx

Abstract Artist

38 / Male / –
i agree with billy, its best how it is. i dont think ya could get a better system without comprimizing sumthing and ending up with a system that is not as good.
like seriously, what admin is gona go through all of sum1's posts on a forum just to rank 1 person outa 1000's?
~ranicx is a: Abstract Artist @ DeviantArt
|| Program skills: Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop, Cinema4D, Apophysis ||
ex-MSN Messenger skinner        :wink:
- ranicx-design -
08-12-2003 01:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
Good points being raised. (y)

My ideas:

Levels: (below elite member)

- Forum Member (Default - new members)
- Low Respected Member (Members who have abused the system)
- Average Respected Member (Members who have had good ratings and bad)
- High Respected Member (more good then bad)
- Very High Respected Member (all good)

Elite members, mods, super mods and admins vote only. The stars relate to the ranking. The reason i say only elite members and above is because like the member rating we have now, it is open to abuse.

Any thoughts on this, id be pleased to hear!

08-12-2003 02:06 PM
EvilSeph
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Excellent, someone who is thinking of their own ways of doing this...well I agree, that would be better than the current system. But as another member has stated, would the Elite members and up, really want to sit there and rate every single member we have?
08-12-2003 02:18 PM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
Excellent, someone who is thinking of their own ways of doing this...well I agree, that would be better than the current system. But as another member has stated, would the Elite members and up, really want to sit there and rate every single member we have?

This isnt a optional vote. Members will stay the deault title unless an elite+ member has reason to vote. E.g., they helped them with something.

E.g.

I need help with something, one of you's provides me with the soultion and is sensible about it. I vote them as a high respected. 2 days later, they spam general chit chat with something, an elite member and admin at the time see this and rate this person as low respected. This would hen be averaged by the database and that person would be average respected.

Users can sort members by respect and newbies will then know who is sensible to ask questions, etc. Hence, post counts mean nothing now.

btw, this is simply an idea, other forum members have to chip in and say their thoughts. Also, wdz (who will ultimatly create this thing :P) also has to see it a good idea.
08-12-2003 02:26 PM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Animefan
I would just say:
Kill the T&T seciton and hire someone to browse the topics and kill the spam! :)
Id gladly help, but Im not an admin :P

Topics are placed in T & T to die, like 8 did yesterday and 3 more by lunch time today. T & T stays.

The rating system would be used as a way for us as a team to identify good willed members. If we have 3 members high respected, 4 average, and 2 low. It doesnt matter if the other 5000 are just "members". When they post, we know and people who have been away for a while (e.g. me when i am working) what the member is like, and it stops us forming rash opinions. I feel as a team we are responsible enough to use a method like this, and hope no one would abuse such a system.

This post was edited on 08-12-2003 at 02:48 PM by Johnny_Mac.
08-12-2003 02:47 PM
EvilSeph
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Yes, I agree.

Maybe we should have some possible systems listed then have a vote over a week. Though I think J_Mac's idea is the best one here, its easily doable and not very easy to abuse.
08-12-2003 03:22 PM
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

35 / Male / –
Makes sense :)
08-12-2003 04:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (8): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »