What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » MSN Messenger Dice Roller: Needed

MSN Messenger Dice Roller: Needed
Author: Message:
Parasite

'the Infectious One'

42 / Male / –
O.P. MSN Messenger Dice Roller: Needed
Ok, first of all like the subject says ''MSN Messenger Dice Roller: Needed''.  Pretty much self explanatory.  I figured that this would be a better place if any to post this here. 

|-)
I have been searching the web for a Dice Roller, either for mIRC, MSN Chat IRC Scripts, a Table Top RPG Program, or what would really do the trick, a MSN Messenger Dice Roller Plugin. 

8o|
The mIRC scripts are alright but cause myself and other players to have to switch back and forth between screens while playing D&D on-line.  Can't find any rollers for MSN Chat scripts for mIRC.  Most Table Top RPG programs are either incomplete and very unstable or the good ones cost money to use per month or at purchase.  Then, I have yet to find a MSN Messenger Plug-in Dice Roller. 

:)
If anyone here may know about a Dice Roller for MSN Messenger please notify me, Parasite.  I need something that shows all users rolls on screen and is free. 

(Y)
Or, what would be great is if anyone out there in this big MSN Messenger loving world could possibly build a Dice Roller Plug-in.  I am not to verse in C++ and the like, I have downloaded various tutorials and plug-in builders, etc but I haven't been able to do it. 

:D
So if anyone is up to the challenge of building the best and first, for all I know MSN Messenger Dice Roller then please by all means.  I know I for one would appreciate it immensely. 

Well, if anyone has any ideas, post, or contact me at the above link.  Thank you. 

~ Parasite the Infectious One ~
08-21-2003 12:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Whacko

40 / Male / –
RE: MSN Messenger Dice Roller: Needed
as i see it... a dice roller for msn+ would be fairly easy to cheat on :P
I code in:
C
C++
Delphi
Visual Basic
Pascal :P
08-21-2003 04:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Predatory Kangaroo

– / Male / –
weeeeeell... u could require that each user has the plugin, then use the notify code to send a simple random number, or the 5 letter hash (i don't know much about hashing so i don't know if u can have a 5 letter hash :)), then recievenotify to pick it up and display it in a messagebox.

Of course, you could still fake this (and if you haven't figured out how yet, i'm not telling :)), but not as easily as just typing in a message.
[Image: imagetest.php?display=You%20dont%20know%...djust=true]
08-21-2003 05:00 PM
Whacko

40 / Male / –
RE: RE: MSN Messenger Dice Roller: Needed
quote:
Originally posted by Predatory Kangaroo
not as easily as just typing in a message.

as a matter of fact... it is ;)
I code in:
C
C++
Delphi
Visual Basic
08-21-2003 05:21 PM
Whacko

40 / Male / –
Parasite... tell me what kind of dice you want...
dice-6
dice-8

whatever... MAYBE ill try to make a plugin for it :)

This post was edited on 08-21-2003 at 09:32 PM by Whacko.
I code in:
C
C++
Delphi
Visual Basic
08-21-2003 05:27 PM
Parasite

'the Infectious One'

42 / Male / –
O.P. Happy  RE: MSN Messenger Dice Roller: Needed
Heh, let me try this again... Just typed a load of stuff and then went to post reply and I didn't have a subject thread so it was all lost...  Anyways...

Dice needed are 1d2, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10. 1d12, 1d20 and 1d100.  But, what would really be handy is if you can enter any number of dice you wish to roll as well as however many pips you want on each die rolled.  It would be nice to be able to roll anything from a 1d1 to a 100d100 or more. 

Example: ''/roll 1d3'' - Output: ''Parasite rolls a 1d3: 2''

Or even have the capability of adding pluses to each die rolled.

Example: ''roll 1d3+2'' - Output: ''Parasite rolls a 1d3+2: 2+2 = 4''

I hope this doesn't seem to complicated or overwhelming to code... 
If not, then here is another idea.  Colorizing certain parts of each roll to make them easier to distinguish between players and from other text. 

Example: ''/roll 1d16'' - Output: ''Parasite rolls a
1d16: 12''

Example:  ''roll 1d16+4'' - Output: ''Parasite rolls a
1d16+4: 12+4 = 16

(Y)
Or what else would work is if the end result of the die roll was in the players/users own font color.  If that is to complicated to engineer then red would work since it is much easier to pick out of the rest of the text. 

Also, for the GM or DM, a private roll function would be nice, of course anyone can use this function. 

Example: ''/proll 1d20''  Output: ''You roll a
1d20: 18''

This way say you need to roll something in private without anyone else seeing you can without opening another IM window somewhere else.   

If a user types just ''/roll'' then it should respond with the following text, ''How to Roll: /roll [number of dice]d[number of pips][Pluses]
Type /dice for more help''

The help file would be ''/dice'' responding with the Dice Roller Plug-in info, list of rollable dice, any other helpful information, creator of the plug-in and contact info if possible.  Plus, ''Dice Roller inspired by Parasite the Infectious One.'' 
:D

As far as the name for the Plug-in itself, MSN Messenger Dice Roller seems like a suitable name.  I think that it should require everyone who wishes to use the roller to have the plug-in.  Instead of being like a bot where they can issue the commands from your messenger.   

I hope that clears things up on what is needed, I do hope it isn't to complicated.  Also thank you for your time.  Maybe I can be of some assistance in further ideas of developing this Plug-in.  As you can see I am quite creative. 

08-21-2003 11:10 PM
Parasite

'the Infectious One'

42 / Male / –
O.P. RE: MSN Messenger Dice Roller: Needed
[font=Times New Roman][color=black][b]Ok I came up with a mock example of how I was thinking and wanting the Dice Roller to display on messenger.  As well as how the commands for each roll are entered. 

I had to put spaces in between the color numbers and the regular roll and dice numbers because the color codes I was using interfered with the die and roll numbers... 

If that makes any sense.  Heh. 

I also figured that why not just use the ''/me'' emote function as a tool for displaying dice rolls, I don't know just think it would look a whole lot better than having to read ''Someone says...'' each time, when it would look better seeing ''Someone rolls a...'' 

Anyways, the file is to big to attach, even as small as I could get it, since it is a desktop print.  But I can attach the notepad file used.  If anyone wants to see the image send me an e-mail and I will send it to you. 

PS - I'm not to keen on how the private roll command would work and display the the roll on screen without everyone else seeing, I suspect that it may need to be done where you type the private roll and it displays in a popup.  Then again, I could be wrong, you all are the programmers not me. 

.txt File Attachment: DiceRollPlay.txt (1.05 KB)
This file has been downloaded 484 time(s).
08-22-2003 03:38 AM
Parasite

'the Infectious One'

42 / Male / –
O.P. Grin  Nevermind Got It.Roller: Needed
Here it is, thank you DJ
Mystichttp://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=14794

08-23-2003 11:49 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »