What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Note about Trojan detection

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Note about Trojan detection
Author: Message:
musicalmidget
Elite Member

Hmm, randomness...

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Note about Trojan detection
quote:
Originally posted by wabz
Hmmmm  Like I'd ever believe Patchou would put a trjoan into plus

Yeah, exactly.

Why would he even want to? :-/
10-15-2003 01:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
bl1nkr0x

w00t!

36 / Male / –
just a thot - but how about changin the install process lightly for wen u install the sponsor?

i no Patch wants ppl 2 install it so he can get sum money - BUT alot of ppl r put off as they dont read those wee install screens thoroughly (if at all) and accidentally install teh sponsor software - therefore getting ads on their desktop - they assume it was Plus! and uninstall it

i no this isnt patch's fault at all but still it might be better if instead of making the box in the install program ticked and u have 2 untick it - how about makin it unticked and u have 2 tick it?

i think this wud help a lot

if u wanted 2 go further u cud even make it a special option at the end of installation and have its own installation (not in background) so that ppl nu exactly what it was maybe with screenshots of it or sumthin.

just a suggestion 2 keep ppl happy :)
10-15-2003 04:19 PM
BooGhost
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget
quote:

Yeah, exactly.

Does Bill use MsgPlus! :rolleyes:
10-15-2003 06:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Note about Trojan detection
carolinadrew: I'm sorry you can't make the different between an adware, a virus and a trojan because they all are very different softwares. Detecting an adware as a trojan is similar to seeing a lizard in your house and calling the police to report an aligator. As documented in my software, companies who want Messenger Plus! can automate the installation with the /InstallInstallNoSponsor command line. You know a lot of software that offer the same option? I don't.

I accept responsability for what the sponsor installs on your computer, which is almost nothing except for a search bar in Internet Explorer (wow, what a Trojan). If some users report problems related to the sponsor, I forward them to C2Media, they make a fix and I release an update. So far, no real problem was reported with the sponsor. People saying that it doesn't unisntall properly are people who tried to play smart, and deleted some files themselves before trying to uninstall the software. And as it's the case for any other program, if you delete some important files, the whole program refuses to uninstall at it's no more capable of restoring the system properly. The only thing bad with all that are incompetent IT who don't know how to do their job.

I don't like to say those things but you forced me to defend my point.

Patchou.
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-16-2003 01:47 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Btw, I just checked Symantec web site and they do agree with me: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...ad.adware.lop.html ...it's not listed as a trojan anymore.
10-16-2003 01:55 AM
bra1nwash

THE GAMEFREAK!

35 / Other / –
RE: RE: Note about Trojan detection
quote:
Originally posted by bl1nkr0x
just a thot - but how about changin the install process lightly for wen u install the sponsor?

i no Patch wants ppl 2 install it so he can get sum money - BUT alot of ppl r put off as they dont read those wee install screens thoroughly (if at all) and accidentally install teh sponsor software - therefore getting ads on their desktop - they assume it was Plus! and uninstall it

i no this isnt patch's fault at all but still it might be better if instead of making the box in the install program ticked and u have 2 untick it - how about makin it unticked and u have 2 tick it?

i think this wud help a lot

if u wanted 2 go further u cud even make it a special option at the end of installation and have its own installation (not in background) so that ppl nu exactly what it was maybe with screenshots of it or sumthin.

just a suggestion 2 keep ppl happy :)

hmm it might b a gd idea!;) patchou shud consider it...
Visit the homepage of CNC Generals, the OWNAGE game!!!
[Image: zerohour_thumb.jpg]
[Image: b2.gif]
sch juz started..
10-16-2003 07:01 AM
KnightieBoy

Yeah right!

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Btw, I just checked Symantec web site and they do agree with me: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...ad.adware.lop.html ...it's not listed as a trojan anymore.
Good to hear (Y) :) its not even listed on my virusscanner :dodgy: eSafe :dodgy:
[Image: MsgPlusNL.gif]
10-17-2003 11:46 AM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
after many people reported a trojan was installing with Messenger Plus
Yeah, we even have received quite a few claims at gfdd.net about antivirus software detecting "plus as a trojan".

quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget
quote:

Yeah, exactly.

Well, actually, to earn lots of money :P. But I know Patchou pretty well and I'm 100% sure he hasn't done it, he is not doing it and would not do it either.
10-17-2003 07:40 PM
si3rra

i'm with stupid -->

41 / Male / Flag
Hay Patchou!..
maby u should realse the md5 hash with the next realse..
There maby somone putting a trojan in your program and then uploadning it.. for public download..
If u realsese md5 hash and u tested and u included no torjan or virus..
i download and check md5 and it matches then people can stop the whining!:..
10-17-2003 11:16 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
quote:
Well, actually, to earn lots of money

There's no way you can make a penny by distributing a trojan.. who would pay you to open backdoors on your computer? trojans are useful to hackers only.

As for encrypting the file, I dont need to, I control the official distribution souces and I know that I won't distribute a virus or a trojan or whatever else similar in Messenger Plus!, ever. I don't worry. Now that antivirus software shave been updated, we won't get anymore of these reports.

Patchou
10-17-2003 11:22 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: