What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Knowledge sharing - troubles

Knowledge sharing - troubles
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. Knowledge sharing - troubles
Hello everyone,

some of you may have heard about my project of sharing some of the code and knowledge that is behind Messenger Plus!'s success and that’s what I’d like to talk about in this message. I thought this project would be a good way to revive the time when a new add-on was released every 2 days for Messenger (that's basically before Messenger 5 was released). A lot of people have demonstrated a big antipathy toward me since Plus! became really popular, often for no reason except apparent excessive jealousy. The optional-sponsor just gave them what they were waiting for to start insulting me every time they could. Nevertheless, I didn't want to stand at their level and that's why, several weeks ago, I created a new thread on the MSN Fanatic forum to ask people how they think I should share the knowledge I accumulated over the years.

The code-sharing thread rapidly became very popular and was announced on several places such as mess.be. I got a lot of answers, mostly very positive, and it ended-up starting a debate about tutorials vs binary (basically meaning knowledge vs simplicity of use). It was a matter of 50/50, each side saying that the other solution was completely worthless so I continued to monitor the thread for eventual compromises and new ideas. As both solutions would obviously require a lot of my time, you can understand that I didn't want to rush into anything to get other criticisms at the end. Well, I'm sorry to say that I've officially given up on the project. Why? simply because someone sent me a link of a new thread started on MSN Fanatic some days ago. This thread has now be deleted and the reason is quite obvious to me: what people were saying in it just demonstrated how much they loved to hate me and my work for no reason, even when the only thing I wanted to do was helping everyone (which also means that I would have got a lot more competition). I give my thanks to the admin on MSN Fanatic who deleted the thread as it shows that the whole community doesn't necessarily share the same ideas and single-minded opinions. However, as the thread was started by another admin of the forum, I think it has a lot of importance and that's why I'm posting its content below. Please do not reply to this thread by insulting MSN Fanatic users, I'm only doing this so that you can all see why this project was abandoned. I'm sorry to say that my decision is final (at least for now); I can't spend my days working on a project while people are spitting on me.

But enough talking, if you want to know more about this issue, I invite you to read the thread and judge by yourself. You'll see a bunch of people talking about things they invent (like my "programming standards"... funny how some people can talk about something they never saw) and you'll see them talking about me when they obviously don't know me at all (all this talk about respect... it's so exagerated that it becomes ridiculous). And last but not least, you'll understand my feelings when I read "in its current state all it does is replace every other msn bot ever made, isnt that what we hate? copy cats?" when everybody knows that Plus! was one of the very first add-ons for Messenger and that if anybody copied anyone, it's not me (again, that can be very easily verified and everybody knows that). I never complained about all the bots and add-ons that copied my features but I can't accept that people blindly argue about the opposite. If you have the time to check the original thread on MSN Fanatic as well as the thread shown below, I invite you to post your opinion about it, even if this is against me. If I'm acting wrong, I'd rather know about it because this whole thing just seems too impossible to me.

Patchou

MSN Fanatic thread: posts have not been altered. Only some of the replies have been removed.
quote:
quote:
doggie
Will patchou release anything? Was this just a way of getting attention and gaining respect from users here? I'm not looking to pick on Patchou etc etc so dont bitch "Patchou is a better programmer than u and ur jealous" cuz i know he is infact better than me but in no way am i jealous of his creation Plus!  Only thing i am jealous of is he has the monopolized the MSN add-on market as no one else knows how to do it.

IMO, i dont think he was going to release anything anyways.. Just more knowing a lot of forum users around he dislike his programming standards, secretiveness and also the fact theres a lot of hatred towards the adware/spyware issue.. Yes u can choose to install or not install but the fact is theres better ways of making money and he knows that. But thats not the issue, it was IMO, more of a way of trying to make good with the ppl that hate/dislike Plus and free advertising for Plus itself.. but hey if he does make something, i'll take it like a man and eat my words 

PS: Before posting, dont not continue the thread on the whole "Jealous of patchou" etc or that i am "Victimising Him".. i am infact having my opinion and i dont have an issue personally with him..

quote:
kaos
I think he came here expecting respect and found the opposite and now he dosnt want to make anything

I think plus is a great app dont get me wrong, but i know it could be better... in its current state all it does is replace every other msn bot ever made, isnt that what we hate? copy cats? lol... what he should of done was made it module based so that anyone could make a plus module, thus, sharing the fun.

i had a big problem with the spyware because that this sh*t actually ruins your computer eventually, computers have to be taken to shops and cleaned because of this sorta thing, and patchou blindly chucks this thing in with Yes as the default option, taking advantage of all the computer illiterate noobs out there  (like my mum)

quote:
jaime
i think the same, patchou only want to have the control of fanatics

i agree with kaos, plus is only the same progz just with a better look  i only use plus to get the Winamp Active Song

he will not release anything  he is pissed because fanatic don't respect him

quote:
ecko_complex
Doggie, my thoughts exactly. It seems he has shut shop.

quote:
wipey
I think this post's just to badger him into releasing something  be honest 

quote:
doggie
ahh i stated my point peebrain .. i am not badgering him at all.. just seems funny how it goes so quiet.. yes he is probably a busy man but if u were indeed serious about it, u'd hear a lot more than wat we have.. so wipey, keep the different thoughts to urself thank u  working for mickeysoft? bah, then we'll see "Messenger Plus! Education, Pro, Server editions"

quote:
Theo
...patchou.....whats new

quote:
doggie
do a whole remix on the scooby doo thing "patchou.. where are u?!"
"patchou patchou patchou.. where are u?
need some help with msn now"
can someone honestly make this.. i want it and sent it to patchou hehe

quote:
Martrinex
I don't use plus, used to but disliked the fact it is now suddenly a huge file (its only a patch not a full program whats with the huge size?) and also because of the fact he keeps making miner changes and recomending updates I have saw no change in the last few versions just a lot of wasted download time.

quote:
Keenie
yeah i agree with whoever said he posted to try to get respect and didnt get it so he's not going to release anything, i could be wrong but how hes keeps up with this "ok i still cant decide, please post the same thing everyones been saying over and over" bullsh*t which makes me thinks hes just leading us on to beleive he was going to but we didnt convince him what to do and never planned on it. 

quote:
doggie
well.. just shows how much of a pussy the man is.. i'm sorry but to more or less offer something and then go quiet, bah to him.. be nice to learn something new.. he not obligated to do this but it would of been nice..

quote:
Patchou
omg... good thing someone just sent me the link to this thread. I'm not spending all my time checking this forum you know. What the hell is going on with you people? I posted my thread about code-sharing to get your opinion and in all the pages of replies there was always people saying that I should release tutorials and people saying that I should release a dll. In both cases, I would have made half of the community unhappy and that's why I was continuing to check the thread for eventual compromises or new ideas.

With what I see in this new thread, you just don't seem to respect anyone or anything. I wanted to help and this is what I get in return, thank you very much. I didn't ask for an "add-on monopoly" neither did I ever make anything to fortify it. I've always encouraged every developer who wanted my help (that can be easily verified) and I have absolutely no idea where doggie gets his information from except from IHatePatchouLand. And what the hell do you know about my "programming standards"? as for making money, if there was a better way, I would use it. Do you think I enjoy installing advertisements on my users's computers? What you call "better way" is "shareware", mostly because sharewares can be cracked.

I still can't beleive everything I just read in this thread. I never saw so much hate coming from unfounded jaelousy in my entire life. I tried to help, nobody ever forced me to, and it got me more insults. Wow, what a great community you've got here. It's ok, you can continue to hate me so much. I'm disgusted anyway. Have fun with your life.

thread deleted

This post was edited on 12-17-2003 at 06:02 PM by Patchou.
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-16-2003 08:18 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Knowledge sharing - project ended
All the previous answers to this thread have been moved to http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=19390. Thank you all for your support.

The discussion about code sharing continues at http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=19411.

This post was edited on 12-17-2003 at 07:23 PM by Patchou.
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-16-2003 06:37 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: