What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Plus is lacking?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Plus is lacking?
Author: Message:
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Plus is lacking?
Module based PLus!  seems like a stupid idea if i ever heard one.  He put plugins there for this kinda purpose
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
12-17-2003 04:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
At least Kaoz didn't insult anyone now ^o)

The key ideas is quite interesting, though, still I don't think Patchou wants to add more functionality into Plus' api.
12-17-2003 06:04 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I've always given you the same reason about why I'm not adding too much stuff into plugins: to protect all of you. That's security measures and you'll be the first ones to complain if some trojan plugins are being distrubted thanks to Plus! :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-17-2003 06:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I've always given you the same reason about why I'm not adding too much stuff into plugins: to protect all of you. That's security measures and you'll be the first ones to complain if some trojan plugins are being distrubted thanks to Plus! :).

What a guy he is , it's true though most people make the mistake of installing the sponsor without realising, people are daft enough to install random plugins
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
12-17-2003 06:15 PM
ka0z

O.P. RE: Plus is lacking?
I appreciate getting a reply from the man himself,

First of all let me say that I never had anything against you, I just think you have made some "bad moves" which have ultimately led to Plus! not bieng sponsered or even purchased...

Your opinion of my idea is what i expected Patchou, this is where i think you have perhaps, made a bad move.. im not trying to get at you here, but dont you want to help the msn developer community grow? dont you want these young coders to have something to learn from? for a while there everyone was getting into programming with the msgr apis.. but thanks to m$, thats gone now...

just so you know, i dont go out looking for problems, i do mean everything i have said so far (but i also think there are lots of good sides to plus too)

... im only interested in helping the msn developer community grow

oh and btw, i already distribute plus! with a trojan, so how is it any different? its not your fault microsoft cant code a decent operating system (although they are certainly starting to get things rolling) .... ps.. im joking :)

This post was edited on 12-18-2003 at 04:50 AM by ka0z.
[Image: chaos.gif]
12-18-2003 04:08 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
ka0z, first, don't worry about saying you don't like me, as long as your posts are not just full of insults, I won't remove them :). From your posts on MSN Fanatic I really think you don't have me on your heart and that you're right, this thread is not about this anyway.

What you're saying is what I could call "blindly helping" without considering the consequences. As I say, if I open too much access to plugins, it will automatically leave to very bad ones. I care about all my users, not only the ones who are careful about what they download. As you don't seem to like Microsoft very much, you'll probably understand my point better if you consider VBScript... Microsoft originally added scripting capabilities to almost all their products. It was a great idea to allow developers to do complex things in web pages, allow special operations in emails etc... at that time, they didn't consider all the risks involved (which can be partially explained by the fact that internet was still kinda new for everyone) and they paid for their mistake... for years people complained that using Internet Explorer or Outlook Express could expose you to tons of bad stuff.

Messenger Plus! is in the exact same position.. instant messaging is under big expension, everyone wants to get a share of the market and almost nobody uses internet without a Messenger program anymore. Now imagine if I did what I originally planned for Messenger Plus! 2, which is to make it entirely scriptable. Peopel would have installed it, then would have installed some additional modules and would have got a lot of viruses on their computer thanks to me.

Security concerns are almost always against extra features and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm just being cautious, be sure that I've been thinking about this for almost a year already, and I still do, but I still didn't find something else to do that the current plugin architecture of Plus!.. sure it's limited but it's safe.

I hope this will help you understand my position. Plus! is not a stupid little addon anymore. It's a program that is used by millions of people and I because of that, I have some responsabilities. I just can't do whatever I want anymore :)
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-18-2003 07:24 AM
ka0z

O.P. RE: Plus is lacking?
Ive always been more of the "let microsoft take the blame for appauling security" type of person :)

I understand the position you are in, but perhaps you should let the user decide? via some kind of Poll?

I honestly believe your app could grow if you opened it up a bit more, the world is ready for this sort of thing :)

anyway, thanks for responding, im happier knowing that you have indeed considered this type of modification..

This post was edited on 12-18-2003 at 09:07 AM by ka0z.
[Image: chaos.gif]
12-18-2003 08:59 AM
kangie

falling...

38 / Female / –
i know im stupid... but could someone explain what a module is?
[Image: sig.jpg]
12-23-2003 02:10 PM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by kangie
i know im stupid... but could someone explain what a module is?
Basically, more advanced plugins...

quote:
I understand the position you are in, but perhaps you should let the user decide? via some kind of Poll?
I don't think that a "Do you think Patchou should do this to get flamed by even more users everywhere?" poll would solve this problem :-/
12-23-2003 02:18 PM
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by ka0z
When he said he's not going to, and has a good reason.. He's probably not. :-/
12-23-2003 02:18 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: