What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » mybb: unread/new posts

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
mybb: unread/new posts
Author: Message:
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: mybb: unread/new posts
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
according to the help pages... it's stored in cookies
And that it is..
01-10-2004 02:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Yeah, the data is stored using cookies, and there are limits on how many cookies a site can set, and how much data can be stored in them, so it's not possible to make this system work perfectly.

quote:
Ok, since we're reporting bugs like never before...
Don't waste all that bug reporting energy now, because when I really want bug reports is after I upgrade... I'll fix even the smallest things then, like spelling/grammar errors, to get the forums near perfect (if possible :P).

quote:
Also, on the main forum page, sometimes there are blue arrows indicating new posts in those forums, when I visit those forums, there isn't any indication of a new post... Only when I click "mark all forums read" the blue arrow will change to grey....
As I've said in the past, those icons are not based on posts. It would be too server-intensive to check for new posts in each forum when displaying the index. They simply indicate if there were new posts in that forum since your last visit.

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
However, once i'm done reading and return to the latest posts page, and refresh, some of them are still marked blue!
How many threads are you opening? The cookie is only capable of remembering the latest threads that you loaded. Maybe there were replies to those threads since you loaded them?

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
but there was a time when it actaully worked very well..... i wonder what happened?!
That's strange, because nothing changed, unless some other dodgy admin did it. I'll do some testing later to see how it works for me.

quote:
It could be easly fixed IMO (but what do I know about php....er nothing)... whenever you click a link to a thread, to cookie is updated with the date, time and 'name' of that thread....

Then on the "last posts" pages, just check those cookies....
That's how it currently works. :P However, as explained above, there are limitations to that system.

Damn, my space bar is messed up... I must have broken it when I hit the keyboard yesterday... :-/
01-10-2004 07:04 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Update: I did a bit of testing, and the system seems to work normally. If this problem continues for you, and there's no explanation, I'll make a debug script that will load and process your threadread cookie to see if there's anything wrong with it.
01-10-2004 07:30 AM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I'll fix even the smallest things then, like spelling/grammar errors, to get the forums near perfect (if possible :P).
:dodgy:.... (lazy) wdz saying he's going to work harder than ever... :blah!:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Damn, my space bar is messed up... I must have broken it when I hit the keyboard yesterday...
:lol:   :pound:
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
01-10-2004 01:54 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: mybb: unread/new posts
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
How many threads are you opening? The cookie is only capable of remembering the latest threads that you loaded. Maybe there were replies to those threads since you loaded them?

Yeah, found that out the hard way a while ago :-) I can live with it...

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Update: I did a bit of testing, and the system seems to work normally. If this problem continues for you, and there's no explanation, I'll make a debug script that will load and process your threadread cookie to see if there's anything wrong with it.
It still happens, can't explain.... but oh well, for the time being, I live with the occasional "bug" (if it is one)... I'll wait for the update to complain more again ;)

This post was edited on 01-10-2004 at 05:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-10-2004 04:55 PM
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

well, sometimes 20... but not often.

and there arn't any new threads posts, since ones i've read, but not replied to, are marked as read, and are above the ones marked unread (which i have read)
01-10-2004 09:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: mybb: unread/new posts
:@ :@ :@ , ok WDZ I'm complaing again....
the bug kicked in again....
I had 20 unread posts (could be more though), did a refresh... BAM.... only 9 unread posts anymore....

To give an example: before refresh the thread "Easter Eggs" was marked as unread (as it was a new thread). I did a refresh.... it is marked as read, while I never openend that thread....

It seems that this is what happend:
* +20 unread posts in "View Latest Posts"
* I open 1 thread ("PIP is back") and reply to it... (this thread was somewhere in the middle of all the other unread ones)
* I close the thread
* I do a refresh on the "View Latest Posts"
* Only 9 threads show up as unread....
* The cookie seems to be reset to the time/date I posted my last message. But this certainly doesn't mean I read the (unread) threads before this time/date......
(this also means you can't use that time/date as a reference to look for threads you haven't read. This means I have to open +20 threads to see by myself if there is a new message)

.jpg File Attachment: unread.jpg (70.36 KB)
This file has been downloaded 125 time(s).

This post was edited on 01-10-2004 at 09:48 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-10-2004 09:44 PM
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
my bug just happened again, and i only had 4 tabs open :dodgy:

and i didn't do a reply! :dodgy:
01-10-2004 09:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
*sigh*

Another delay for the RC1 upgrade...

* WDZ starts work on the cookie debug script...
01-10-2004 10:11 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
OK, everyone who's having the problem go to http://shoutbox.menthix.net/cdebug.php a few times while you're browsing the forums. It will "examine" your cookie to see if anything's wrong, and store some debug info in a log for me to check.
01-10-2004 11:19 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: