What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Internet users who download music illegally face home raids

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Internet users who download music illegally face home raids
Author: Message:
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Internet users who download music illegally face home raids
quote:
Originally posted on MSFN.org
Internet users who illegally download music face having their homes raided and properties seized under a crackdown on piracy backed yesterday by the European Parliament.

New legislation will target the illegal piracy of a host of products, including sports merchandise, designer handbags and medical products as well as music downloaded from the internet.

The initiative is aimed at criminals who counterfeit for commercial gain as part of a multibillion-pound network. However, civil rights campaigners fear that small-scale internet file sharers will also be vulnerable to the legislation. Yesterday, the European Assembly voted overwhelmingly in favour of a new anti-piracy directive. Members of the EU, including the UK Government, will have two years to incorporate the directive into national law.

The main thrust of the new bill consists of the civil penalties that will face counterfeiters of any form, who will face the seizure of their property and bank accounts if they are found guilty in a national court. An earlier proposal for criminal sanctions against those illegally counterfeiting was dropped from yesterday's final directive.

Piracy cost European businesses an estimated £5.4bn a year between 1998 and 2001, according to figures released by the EU's head office.

Up to five million British computer owners are expected legally to download 30 million songs this year. However, the industry is being threatened by the arrival of hundreds of unofficial sites enabling millions of users to download music illegally.

While the new directive proposes the targeting of those who counterfeit on a commercial rather than a personal scale, there were fears that difficulties would arise in attempting to differentiate between the two categories.

The new directive will create a single set of rules that will apply to the entire EU, including the 10 nations that join on 1 May.

03-10-2004 06:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
tomfletcherman

35 / Male / –
RE: Internet users who download music illegally face home raids
screw them, we have burnable cds, they cant stop that lol. screw em all...
03-10-2004 07:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
I’d usually take notice this and find it interesting but unfortunately I've heard this so many times I don't seem to hold this in a high amount of respect. There are so many people out there doing illegal downloads\uploads they will not likely target P2P users. Although personably I think these people should target more serious problems like Drug Dealing. I am also highly against people downloading music and selling copies on the market cheaply I believe this to be fraud, not individuals who want a music collection.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
03-10-2004 07:39 PM
The Napster

I seriously need to change this pic

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
screw them, we have burnable cds, they cant stop that lol. screw em all...
exactly. o well just use Clipinc
[Image: globesig2.png]
03-10-2004 07:42 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lylesback2
Veteran Member

[lylesback2]

38 / Male / –
yesterday by the European Parliament.

not canada :P
<skanky>lylesback2</lanky>
3 days, 4 hours, 2 minutes, 56 seconds till the end of the world

03-10-2004 09:08 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
stonesour

35 / Male / –
Ah yes indeed, it is good to be Canadian.

I figure as soon as they come out with a client that breaks the 99cent barrier(canadian of course) that has no restrictions on the songs, and places them on my hardrive, and allows me to burn them as many times as I want etc. I will pay for music. Until then...screw em
03-10-2004 11:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
This week the big musiclabel Warner Bros fired thousands of people worldwide and stopped selling many musicians albums all because they lost major money over the past years because of illegal downloads. The last two albums they going to produce/sell are the new one from Novastar and one from Garry Hagger... Sony Music is going to have a cut-back too.

Because of this, some European musicians and bands are going to stop making music, cause they couldn't get contracts anymore and thus they couldn't sell/make new albums and thus, they can't live on it anymore...

A big thank you to all people who downloaded music (for private use), from the European musicians and the fired workers...

This post was edited on 03-11-2004 at 10:24 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-11-2004 10:23 AM
M-Head

.:|DaBomb|:.

35 / Male / –
If prices were lowered, people wouldn't illegally download music. It's simple. Do music artists really need that much money anyway? That goes for all of the places the money goes...
6887 days, 21 hours, 32 minutes, 26 seconds ago Until I am 17.
6975 days, 19 hours, 55 minutes, 26 seconds ago Until I am playing Resident Evil 4 (PAL, GameCube).
03-11-2004 03:57 PM
Banks

36 / Male / –
Isn't it just illegal to upload but prefectly legal to download? that's what i've been hearing over this whole deal.
03-11-2004 08:23 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Banks
Isn't it just illegal to upload but prefectly legal to download? that's what i've been hearing over this whole deal.
I think there's certainly something of that in there...

Don't forget though, if you use something p2p-based like Kazaa then you are uploading, or giving the potential to do so at least... there might also be something that says that if downloading it supports the people uploading it (i.e. by making them money) then that's also illegal
03-11-2004 08:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: