What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Hooray for runtime errors!

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Hooray for runtime errors!
Author: Message:
billywoods1

35 / Male / –
O.P. Hooray for runtime errors!
Right... erm... see screenshot. :P Basically happens when I visit threads. They come up several times a second. I only manage to get round it by holding 'n' (for no) and clicking each box, then the stop button. :mipdodgy:

Edit: argh, that's a big file. Sorry. :$

.gif File Attachment: bug!.gif (135.45 KB)
This file has been downloaded 280 time(s).

This post was edited on 03-16-2004 at 10:18 PM by billywoods1.
[Image: title.gif]
Please visit my site, Lamerde, by clicking this broken picture. :mipdodgy: It's intentional. Honestly.

03-16-2004 10:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Hooray for runtime errors!
i got that once. then msn and plus crashed.. never happened aagin. i blamed it on msn handwriting
03-16-2004 10:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
i got that once. then msn and plus crashed.. never happened aagin. i blamed it on msn handwriting
You got the same run-time error from Plus! as billy apparently got from the forums? :undecided:
03-16-2004 10:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
What the...?

Runtime error? Isn't that for visual basic or something? ^o)
03-16-2004 10:29 PM
kao
Veteran Member

boring

37 / Male / Flag
i didnt even think you could get a runtime error from a website unless it had some dodgy code (im sure wdz isn't a nasty person (A)), u sure its caused by the forums? dodgy IE big?

Try reinstalling IE or something... maybe its just fux0rd

(Im Famous! :banana:)
03-16-2004 11:19 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
What the...?

Runtime error? Isn't that for visual basic or something? ^o)

No its a C++ program, vb programs dont give you the option of debugging. More then likley you had a BHO on your computer that attaches it self to IE.

A Browser Helper Object, or BHO, is just a small program that runs automatically every time you start your Internet browser.  Usually, a BHO is installed on your system by another software program.  For example, Go!Zilla, the downloading utility, installs a BHO created by Radiate (formerly Aureate Media); this BHO tracks which advertisements you see as you surf the Web.

The natural question is, what do BHOs do?  The technical answer is "anything", but generally, it will have something to do with helping you browse the Internet.   Of course, some BHOs are what is called "ad-ware" or "spyware": they do things like monitor the websites you visit and report this data back to their creators.

Although many people are extremely concerned about them because of the privacy issue, BHOs are not necessarily bad things, and most of them are well-intentioned and beneficial.  For example, the P3P ("Platform for Privacy Preferences") program spearheaded by the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) and major vendors, including Microsoft, AT&T, and IBM, will be delivered as a BHO.  Some BHOs, however, are placed secretly on your system, and there is certainly no technical reason why they could not be programmed to send information about your system (or your web surfing habits) over the Internet without your knowledge.

Also, there is no restriction on what a BHO can do your system; it can do anything any other program can do: read or write (or delete) anything on your system.  Usually, software is installed on your system explicitly by you; when you do so, you are, in effect, saying that you trust the vendor.  BHOs, however, have a history of being installed without the users knowledge (fine print notwithstanding)

Given that (a) BHOs can do absolutely anything to your system, and (b) they are often installed without your knowledge, there is a distinct potential for abuse by vendors.  The problem is, until now you had no way of knowing which BHOs are on your machine, who put them there, and what they do.  This is what BHODemon does - it lets you easily manage your BHOs, and tells you what each BHO on your system is doing.

Credit http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm

To remove them just run the attached app or click Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Uncheck Enabled third-party browser extensions.

If you deactivate a BHO you need to reinstall the entire program before you can use it again.

.exe File Attachment: BHOCaptor.exe (150.5 KB)
This file has been downloaded 171 time(s).
03-16-2004 11:25 PM
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
I'm guess'n it's DZ's avatar resizer
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
03-17-2004 12:40 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Hooray for runtime errors!
quote:
Originally posted by wj
I'm guess'n it's DZ's avatar resizer

That in which i doubt because a BHO is a physical EXE running everytime you open IE that runs in the background.

But then again, quite possibly could be since I am not sure how he actually coded it.
03-17-2004 01:17 AM
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
I know that. I've written a few.

But I think the errors are comming from the avatar resizer because it's happening when loading avatars.
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
03-17-2004 03:02 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
I had a feeling it was the resizer, but still... why a "runtime error"? It's only javascript and HTML... shouldn't it be a "script error"?

I count 26 or 27 popups... the thread he's viewing only has 21 replies, and probably fewer avatars... :S

It might help to know if all the errors are on the same line... also what happens when you click debug? Maybe that program will debug it for me... :lol:

That browser looks like IE6, and I've tested the script in it (as well as Opera 7 and NS 6)... worked fine. :-/
03-17-2004 03:35 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: