What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7
Author: Message:
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Well, maybe not... the restrictions can be hard-coded in the programs as well (like the program warns you that you can't add the 150th contact BECAUSE it "knows" the server doesn't allow it).
Yes, but the server could be responding with an error message.. The program could actually just contain the dialog.. when it receives some crap like "BUDDY LIST FULL" it will show the dialog.

It doesn't have to be hard coded in.. doing it this way would allow them the customisation if it was changed, users wouldnt have to roll out to new clients.
04-04-2004 09:12 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Yes, but the server could be responding with an error message.. The program could actually just contain the dialog.. when it receives some crap like "BUDDY LIST FULL" it will show the dialog.

It doesn't have to be hard coded in.. doing it this way would allow them the customisation if it was changed, users wouldnt have to roll out to new clients.
I'm not saying how it should be done, I'm saying how it's probably done now.

I mean that if they update the protocol, more than 150 contacts will only be available in [insert_version_here] or superior.
04-04-2004 09:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
500 contacts, there aren't even that many kids in my school,  I only have 178 contacts on my list, and about 48% of them are almost never online anyways.  what if  even 30% of those 500 contacts are online, I'd like to meet a person that would be able to pull of having 150 people talking to him at one time, it would lag like no tomarrow.

go ahead and have ur 500 contacts(if its even true), I"m keeping my 178.
04-05-2004 01:46 PM
bra1nwash

THE GAMEFREAK!

35 / Other / –
i would love to have 500 contacts but i doubt MSN would let us do that...:rolleyes:
Visit the homepage of CNC Generals, the OWNAGE game!!!
[Image: zerohour_thumb.jpg]
[Image: b2.gif]
sch juz started..
04-05-2004 02:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
there should be a feature that lets you load contact lists from external websites, so u can save ur contact list on ur server, and then just load it up so u can have infinate contacts
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
04-05-2004 04:27 PM
Jordan2004

The Electronic Brain Community Admin

37 / Male / –
RE: RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7
quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy_nuk3r
it would lag like no tomarrow.

The actual bandwidth used by just msn conversation is quite small, but talking to anywhere near that amount would drain system resources hugely. Most systems just wouldn't be able to cope with that.

This post was edited on 04-05-2004 at 04:28 PM by Jordan2004.
04-05-2004 04:27 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
there should be a feature that lets you load contact lists from external websites, so u can save ur contact list on ur server, and then just load it up so u can have infinate contacts
The first has actualy little todo with the second...
You can save your contactlist already... And, of course, you can load it again, but this doesn't nessecairly means it is added or replaced. That depends on the program and protocol.

Weither you save your contactlist to your pc or upload it to an other server doesn't matter. It is just a file like everything else. So save your contactlist, put it on a FTP place somewhere, and you can download it wherever you are (for any dodgy reason you want)...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-05-2004 04:54 PM
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
* bach_m thinks ppl need to get their bullshit meters re-calibrated
04-05-2004 07:33 PM
creamhackered

Neowin.net

– / Male / –
atm i don't think that MSN are planning to release a MSN Messenger 7.0. Instead they're planning to intergrate it more with MSN Explorer and turn it into 9.0/10.0

It's still at planning stages and work is still being carried out on messenger 7.0 (alphas etc) but who knows.

As for 500 contacts, it's probable but recently the messenger servers are having stability problems (worse than when messenger 6 leaked).
[Image: sig.jpg]
04-08-2004 12:43 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lylesback2
Veteran Member

[lylesback2]

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7
quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy_nuk3r
500 contacts, there aren't even that many kids in my school,  I only have 178 contacts on my list, and about 48% of them are almost never online anyways.  what if  even 30% of those 500 contacts are online, I'd like to meet a person that would be able to pull of having 150 people talking to him at one time, it would lag like no tomarrow.

go ahead and have ur 500 contacts(if its even true), I"m keeping my 178.
178?  the MAXIMUM ammount is 150!  you can not bypass the 150 limit, unless you use contact enlarger... which you never mentioned.

quote:
Originally posted by creamhackered
atm i don't think that MSN are planning to release a MSN Messenger 7.0. Instead they're planning to intergrate it more with MSN Explorer and turn it into 9.0/10.0

It's still at planning stages and work is still being carried out on messenger 7.0 (alphas etc) but who knows.

As for 500 contacts, it's probable but recently the messenger servers are having stability problems (worse than when messenger 6 leaked).
seems like MSN Messenger doesn't go passed the ?.2. anymore... the only version that got passed it really, is MSN 4 :P that went to 4.7... i guess they gotta put EVERYTHING into one messenger, before upgrading it again... MSN 5 didn't last long.. 6.0 didn't either... now 6.1 is going where exactly... onto 6.2 :D  what will 6.3 hold?

This post was edited on 04-08-2004 at 01:00 AM by lylesback2.
<skanky>lylesback2</lanky>
3 days, 4 hours, 2 minutes, 56 seconds till the end of the world

04-08-2004 12:56 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: