What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Problem at School

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Problem at School
Author: Message:
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: Problem at School
Blah... I want to make it clear that the only way to be "logged in" is if MyBB's ID/password cookies are set.

If you're viewing a cached page that says you're logged in as User A, that's not necessarily true. You could actually be logged out, or logged on as a different user. The cached page might be lying, because it's not coming directly from the forum server.

quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy_nuk3r
And I'm not sure if this forum is run the same way.  When I log on, is the IP addy of the computer I'm at recorded and if I dont sign off then anytime I visits the site the site checks the ip address and sees it's the one pr0xy_nuk3r logged in on and he still hasn't logged off yet so it must be him. 
MyBB does not identify members by IP address. The member's browser needs to send the proper ID & password cookies to be logged in.
04-22-2004 03:44 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
quote:
I will log on to a computer in the library, and forget to sign off, then 4 hours later log on to a class room computer to check the board and when I go on the site, I'm already logged on.
WDZ, why does this happen then?? .... and it even happens when the computers are shut off.  I came inton the library this morning and I was already signed in
04-22-2004 01:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Are you sure you're actually logged in? Try viewing a page of the forums that you didn't view before. If it says you're logged in, well, that's pretty strange. :s

Maybe the cookies get stored on the school's proxy server... :dodgy:
04-22-2004 02:43 PM
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Maybe the cookies get stored on the school's proxy server...

more likely it's just a cached page :P  Do a Ctrl+F5 on a page to reload it entirely :p
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
04-22-2004 03:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
yeah, I did Ctrl+F5 and I'm still logged on,  I think WDZ is right, because each person has to log in if they want to use the computer, and everyone has a different user name and pass, plus each student has a shared folder they can use to store school on so they can access it on a different computer.  I think the cookies are stored on the shared folder.
04-22-2004 06:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
Would it be possible to get past the shcools dodgy content blocking with socks kozmo framer (makes me laugh everytime)?
04-23-2004 01:33 AM
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
quote:
yeah, I did Ctrl+F5 and I'm still logged on,  I think WDZ is right, because each person has to log in if they want to use the computer, and everyone has a different user name and pass, plus each student has a shared folder they can use to store school on so they can access it on a different computer.  I think the cookies are stored on the shared folder.

Enter, Wireless Laptops. :D Everyone at my school has a wireless laptop and the school took down the proxy server in favour of a packet scheduler. :D
[Image: 7.png]
04-23-2004 01:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Would it be possible to get past the shcools dodgy content blocking with socks kozmo framer (makes me laugh everytime)?
No... it's not a proxy, just an HTML frame... :p
04-23-2004 02:32 AM
dj_bri_t

http://chaosfactor.zer0host.com

– / Male / –
I've used to have the same login problem at school, and then they updated our servers so that any cookies would be deleted on logout.  They've since modified the servers again so that we've got a profile, and cookies will apply to your user only. So now I can click the keep me logged in button on forums, and I can still be logged in!  Hey, maybe the school servers aren't so bad after all!
[Image: xdj_bri_t.png]
04-23-2004 02:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: