What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » XP Pro Multi Users

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
XP Pro Multi Users
Author: Message:
Dasnk

O.P. XP Pro Multi Users
Hi. My wife uses MSN Plus. This means that your program launches with every single user account (windows user account) on this computer, Not just the one who installed it.

I'm aware you probably won't fix it, I'm just hoping that you do, In the mean time I made my own little program which kills MsgPlus.exe each time I login to my windows account.

This post was edited on 05-26-2005 at 12:20 AM by Dasnk.
04-23-2004 09:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: XP Pro Multi Users
The settings of Plus! are stored per user, so people who don't like Plus! on multi-user systems can disable almost all of it's features while other people on the same system can still use Plus!. I think that is one of the many reasons why it doesn't have an option to install for current user only. If it will only install for the current users then it will be a problem for people who do want it for all users. And makeing it optional in the installer, well Patchou wanted to make his installer as simple as possible because most peoplle just click "Next"  without reading everything anyway.

I do understand you point though. BTW: Please keep in mind the name is "Messenger Plus!", the name "MSN Plus" is a web service from Microsoft.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-23-2004 09:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Also, you don't need to kill msgplus.exe on those other accounts...
What you could do is remove the Plus!-startup key from your run settings in the registry. In that way Plus! would never start up when you start windows. The registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Then, in order to use Plus! with some account, you need to manualy start Plus! first and then MSN Messenger... This can be done with a little VBS-script for example:
code:
Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

Dim WshShell
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Exec "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 2\MsgPlus.exe"
WScript.Sleep 1000
WshShell.Exec "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe"
Set WshShell = Nothing
note: the WScript.Sleep 1000 is very important!!! Plus! needs some time to initialize before messenger is started...

! ! ! ! !
Bare in mind that this method isn't "recommended", nor "supported". Although it works flawlessly...
! ! ! ! !

This post was edited on 04-23-2004 at 09:53 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-23-2004 09:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dasnk

O.P. RE: XP Pro Multi Users
I reported this over a year ago... I don't use this software, I'm tired of having to keep changing this manually. I shouldn't have to.

PLEASE make your application install in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

And NOT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

---

quote:
The settings of Plus! are stored per user, so people who don't like Plus! on multi-user systems can disable almost all of it's features while other people on the same system can still use Plus!.

If people on the same system want to use plus they will install it themselves... Right now i am put off from ever using it because of the way it is forced on me.

This post was edited on 05-26-2005 at 12:19 AM by Dasnk.
05-25-2005 11:52 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Have you even looked at what's stored in HKLM? It's just information about where Plus! and it's compnents are, and a list of plugins. And it's not forced on you: most software is installed for all users by default.

If you're really that bothered about this, then keep using your little script.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-26-2005 08:47 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
uberdosis

digital evil

37 / Male / –
run>msconfig>startup and untick msgplus.
[Image: skav.jpg]
05-26-2005 06:20 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
What Dasnk is trying to say is that when you install Messenger Plus! in an Administrator account it is installed for each account. Thus when Windows is loaded it is loaded for everyone else. A way to prevent this Patchou is on the window it asks where to install Messenger Plus! to have an option like most installers these days for:

Install For:
( ) Everyone
( ) Only Me

Then if Only Me is selected then It will write all data to HKCU instead of HKLM. Then you might have to change the commandline parameters to /SilentInstallOnlyMe /SilentInstallEveryone /SilentInstallNoSponsorOnlyMe /SilentInstallNoSponsorEveryone.

This could rectify the problem.

Dansk the other way, make your wife a Limited User hahaha.
05-26-2005 07:19 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Messenger Plus! loads in LocalMachien for a good reason: the global hook must be set as soon as possible and values in LocalMachien are run before values in CurrentUser. Also, most people want Plus! to be running in all of their sessions.

I suggest you download the latest version, go in the preferences, Misc section and enable Alternate Mode. Once this will be done, you can remove MsgPlus.exe from your startup and it won'T ever come back again after an update :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
05-27-2005 01:04 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dasnk

O.P. RE: RE: XP Pro Multi Users
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Messenger Plus! loads in LocalMachien for a good reason: the global hook must be set as soon as possible and values in LocalMachien are run before values in CurrentUser. Also, most people want Plus! to be running in all of their sessions.

I suggest you download the latest version, go in the preferences, Misc section and enable Alternate Mode. Once this will be done, you can remove MsgPlus.exe from your startup and it won'T ever come back again after an update :).

Thank you for your response.

I have manually removed the entry from 'LocalMachine' and placed it in 'CurrentUser' for the person who uses it.

It works fine, MsgPlus.exe does not run in my process list, But launches for the other user when they log on.

Strangely though, When I start Messenger up, Plus is still integrated, Even though the MsgPlus was not running. I have no problem with that, I just had a problem with MsgPlus constantly running and suddenly appearing in my process list.

In future I will try your above advice, For now it is ok. Thank you.

This post was edited on 05-31-2005 at 02:10 PM by Dasnk.
05-31-2005 02:09 PM
dutch2005

what wrong with Messenger Plus! running on all accounts?

its just 3MB memory usage(max), and it adds a lot of features...
05-31-2005 07:28 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: