What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Reputation: users or posts?

Pages: (12): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Reputation: users or posts?
Author: Message:
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Reputation: users or posts?
c'mon guys, be realistic :P
we cant be voting on each vote everytime.. i mean, after a month we will be tired of it and we will stop rating |-)
So i think that the "vote on user" option is the best one (Y)
as long as we can change our vote when we think its necessary :)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
04-26-2004 03:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
it looks like you need every vote available when you do that calculation... I'm not good at math anyway.
It always is, ain't it?

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
How would it update the user's reputation number? It would first have to delete the previous reputation change you made, then add the new one... right?
No, its the average among all my votes. The overall rating can be stored, but the number of users having voted the user should also be stored.
I suggest doing the following (MySQL):
(each user would need to have a positive votes and negative votes (ie given votes) columns)
(each user needs a column with the rating number)

-I rate post by Tochjo positively [Tochjo's id appears once in my positive column -> this vote counts as (+1)/1 and is added to Tochjos rating. Tochjo's current rating: 1]

-I rate another post by Tochjo positively [Tochjo's id appears now twice in the positive column -> Tochjo's rating is substracted the old rating (+1/1) and added the new one ((+1+1)/2), the same though. Tochjo's current rating: 1]

-I rate Tochjo negatively [Tochjo's id appears twice in my positive column and once in my negative column -> Substract the old rating ((+1+1)/2) and add (+1+1-1)/3=0.33. Tochjo's current rating: 0.33]

-WDZ rates a post by Tochjo positively [WDZ's positive column gets once Tochjo's uid -> Tochjo gets +1/1=1 added to his rating. Tochjo's current rating: 1.33]

And so on...

The more members vote Tochjo POSITIVELY, the higher the rating will be (different user ratings are added). The better I rate Tochjo, the more my rating for him will approach +1, but never surpass it, though (different ratings for one member are averaged).

I think it's a better alternative than the simple adding or the simple averaging :refuck:-

This post was edited on 04-26-2004 at 04:22 PM by KeyStorm.
04-26-2004 03:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Reputation: users or posts?
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
It always is, ain't it?
No, you just take the existing value and add or subtract some points. :-/

quote:
Tochjo's rating is substracted the old rating (+1/1) and added the new one ((+1+1)/2), the same though. Tochjo's current rating: 1]
OK, so when you vote, the old rating does have to be deleted first...

I guess I understand your system, and kinda understand the math, but I dunno if I like it... :-/
04-26-2004 04:06 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
Well, the value could be calculated each time the profile is called, but that might end up loading the server, probably :undecided:
04-26-2004 04:16 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Well, the value could be calculated each time the profile is called, but that might end up loading the server, probably :undecided:
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Especially if the reputation is shown next to posts. Currently, there's just one reputation number loaded along with all the other info about the poster. No extra queries are needed, and there's no big calculations...
04-26-2004 04:22 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
With my suggestion IMHO it would avoid the problem with those haters and would give any member the right to rate someone within 2 points, not more, not less. The votes would be tightly related to posts so the voted member would know which were his/her rated posts. The more people get to vote that member, the higher (or lower) the rating can get (which is very important, imo, to get a real impression out of a number).
What I forgot is that the number of members who voted someone must also be in the table (as it is now, btw).
And I corrected something in the other post: WDZ rates Tochjo positively (not negatively) ;)

Well, I just thought it could help, nevertheless. :)
04-26-2004 04:33 PM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
Im confused, mine is red.  How is the reputation being changed?  What is changing it?
04-26-2004 06:14 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
Im confused, mine is red.  How is the reputation being changed?  What is changing it?
Elite members and staff? :P
04-26-2004 06:16 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

38 / Male / –
Look at your UserCP, there one ore more posts were rated as Negative, so 1 point Reputation was taken to you by an elite, a mod or an admin (you obviously don't get to know who gave you the reputation).
04-26-2004 06:17 PM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
Elite members, super moderators and administrators can give you reputation points:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=233170]

Someone of the forum team rated you negatively. You can go to your user cp to see for what post, and maybe a comment if one was given. You can not see who rated you.

.png File Attachment: Danerep.PNG (3.81 KB)
This file has been downloaded 443 time(s).
04-26-2004 06:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (12): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: