What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » New Virus Exploiting Microsoft Holes

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
New Virus Exploiting Microsoft Holes
Author: Message:
TedoDude

– / Male / –
RE: New Virus Exploiting Microsoft Holes
There is also a new virus - mainly came today - called Sasser - it targets a security patch downloaded from Microsoft Windows Update. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to have a scan to see if you need a patch to sort it out :)

* TedoDude is being helpful today :P

This post was edited on 05-04-2004 at 04:41 PM by TedoDude.
Asus Crosshair, 4GB Ballistix, 4600+, 7600GT Overclocked, RAID1 160GB + extra 160GB disk, HVR1100 DVB-T Tuner, 2xOptical Drives
05-04-2004 04:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
KnightieBoy

Yeah right!

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by TedoDude
There is also a new virus - mainly came today - called Sasser - it targets a security patch downloaded from Microsoft Windows Update. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to have a scan to see if you need a patch to sort it out :)

* TedoDude is being helpful today :P
hmm isn't the first post about this too? well http://www.waarschuwingsdienst.nl (dutch) emailed to tell me to update, but I guess I already installed the update... otherwise I could also block ports 445, 5554, 9996 TCP or something :S
[Image: MsgPlusNL.gif]
05-04-2004 05:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
TedoDude

– / Male / –
Not from what I have heard from the ICT guys in the office...
Asus Crosshair, 4GB Ballistix, 4600+, 7600GT Overclocked, RAID1 160GB + extra 160GB disk, HVR1100 DVB-T Tuner, 2xOptical Drives
05-04-2004 05:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
don't worry about it, IT guys always take those things way too seriously.
Uhmm... For what i heard there are already viruses on the loose which work kinda like Blaster did. Which means you can get infected by just being connected to the internet and doing notjing at all. Which i a thing people should serously protect themselves for. A good virusscanner in combinating with regular Windows Update saves you from A LOT of troubles.

quote:
Originally posted by VGProManiac
if you get that weird shutting off error, open a DOS command type "shutdown -a" then take ur type to get all the patches and ull be clear 
Also don't forget to run a good anti virus to be sure you weren't already been infected by other viruses before you fixed it all.

quote:
Originally posted by mgt
Stupid Microsoft making everyone aware of their holes then people make viruses
Microsoft makes people aware in order to get people install their fixes, a prefect fix is already availible on Windows Update for a few weeks. People in general should learn to update their PC on regular basis for their own good.

quote:
Originally posted by JoeX
Just give them names like, For Example "NetSky"
The official name is W32.NetSky, and with .AB they are pointing out a specific variant of this virus. So i think they call it perfectly by it's name.

quote:
Originally posted by JoeX
If they break my PC, Then Just format, I now have a virus scanner, So it takes the problems away
That's like "I don't lock my doors, if somebody breaks into my house i just but a new house.". Running Windows Update once a week/month, or just automatically is way less work then having to format your whole PC. And keep in mind that a virusscanner will not always block everything.

Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-04-2004 06:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Heh over here the news companies have been saying all day "Sasser is unlike other viruses because it travels over the internet rather than by email".  I get home and my dad tells me not to go on any websites and if i have to close them, not leave them open :lol:

The news can be so misleading
05-04-2004 07:02 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
:lol: Yes, oh well i had two free days :D. I hope the other network admin at work took care of the most problems and user questions. But i already know by now that i will defenitly will get such questions too.

The news should be a little more educational and tell people that they should simply:
- go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install the critical updates there on a regular basis.
- Install a good virusscanner and keep that one up-to-date and ensure it's configured right so it is actually scanning.

Yes, there are people i helped who only had their virusscanner configured for on-demand scanning :d.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-04-2004 07:25 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: