What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Great Idea! (IMO..)

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Great Idea! (IMO..)
Author: Message:
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. Great Idea! (IMO..)
How about "PLus!Files"?

The option to have a Local Profile for all your contacts, So you could easily view their info. For example, if i wanted Guido to come online but wasnt sure of his timezone i could look at his profile to find out where he is, and his local time then i'd know if he was asleep or something..

There would also be a window in the options where you set a profile about yourself, Real Name, Age, Location, etc etc.. and a Box to check if you'd like it to be viewable for others. Someone (with M!P) could then type "/plusfile" and all your (the contacts) information would be retrieved. This would not be an invasion of privacy, as the user would say if he/she wants it to be viewable, and doesnt even have to fill it in!

What do you recon guys? I love the idea of it! (Dont say thats what MSN Profiles are for! :gfdrin: Plus!Files could be more advanced!
05-04-2004 07:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Great Idea! (IMO..)
I actually like it, also because of the fact that profiles are disabled in the UK right now and who knows which other countries may follow to do that.

However, it should really be more usefull then just the MSN profiles else it won't make much sense.

I like these things you suggested:
- People can fill in their own Plus! File themselves and other people can then request the Plus! File form his/her pc.
- But on the other side people can also fill in the Plus! File when the contact hasn't filled in one his/herself.

Only one problem, when you create a Plus! File yourself on for example your home PC, and after that you login at for example your work PC which also has Plus!... you won't have your profile availible there. How can you avoid such problems, or wouldn't that be a big problem?

Also it should have some attractive fields which can be filled in to get people to actually use it. Just name/age/gender/favourites isn't interesting enough, most of the time you already know such things from your contacts.

Other then that i like it and would love to hear other people's ideas on this.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-04-2004 08:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Great Idea! (IMO..)
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Only one problem, when you create a Plus! File yourself on for example your home PC, and after that you login at for example your work PC which also has Plus!... you won't have your profile availible there. How can you avoid such problems, or wouldn't that be a big problem?
But surely thats the same with all your settings in MP.. :p

quote:
Also it should have some attractive fields which can be filled in to get people to actually use it. Just name/age/gender/favourites isn't interesting enough, most of the time you already know such things from your contacts.
Yup, I agree.

quote:
Other then that i like it and would love to hear other people's ideas on this.
Me too!
05-04-2004 08:16 PM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
How about a different approach...

You create a profile and send it to selected contacts? For example, it does a Ping request; if the user has plus! installed it gives you the option to send your profile. That will added stuff on your friends computer that you want them to know.

quote:
also because of the fact that profiles are disabled in the UK right now and who knows which other countries may follow to do that.
They have actually been enabled as of 30/04/2004. :D
05-04-2004 08:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
Plus! is neither gonna connect with other Plus clients directly nor through Messenger.

In that case This would happen automatically (like the information about whether a contact has MP! installed or not or the guaranteed reception thing). Till then there's no other way, in this case, than visiting MSN profiles.

Although it's not a very bad idea...
05-04-2004 08:36 PM
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Great Idea! (IMO..)
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Plus! is neither gonna connect with other Plus clients directly nor through Messenger.
Couldnt it do it the same way as it does the Pinging?
05-04-2004 08:57 PM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
Good idea. Complex and a complete mess to implement, but good idea :P
05-04-2004 11:01 PM
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I love the idea , so many people I have on my list that I dont know their time zone and stuff from this community :grin:
05-04-2004 11:12 PM
Sk3tch
Veteran Member

We are Samurai, the keyboard cowboys

38 / Male / –
Everyone is going to hate me lol, but i guess i should state my opinion instead of lying. I...  don’t really see the need/point of this. I understand that it would be a convenient way to access more information about someone you have as a contact on your list. And i can see that if you needed some information as to their time zone/birthday/bla bla then it would be useful.
But, if it was me.. and i wanted this information i would probably ask before hand. I also know most of my contacts quite well.. (hence why there my contacts)  i don’t necessarily know most of there time zones. (This would be probably the only thing i would want) but i do know pretty much all the countries they live in.. so it wouldn’t exactly be a mission to find that out.

I can see the fact that you could add information that you couldn't add in a msn public profile, even know there is a person section and more. But if it was something that you couldn’t put in your profile, id just ask for it. I can see that if a person was not online, did not have a profile, and i wanted something but (say for instance) didn’t know when he would be back online. Even with the time zone, doesn’t really say when he will be back on, but rather says when he could be. Me personally i sometimes go online during the night and not the day. But again this would be all i would want to know, not a profile on the person.

All in all if this was implemented into plus i suppose a few people would use it once.. and then leave it. And if i really wanted something, id make sure i knew before hand and be organized for it. B-u-t again that’s just my honest opinion. Nice idea however (Y) its nice to see more ideas now and then :)
Sk3tch@Microsoft.com - Email
- 53 6B 33 74 63 68 34 64@hotmail.com - Messenger
05-04-2004 11:44 PM
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
This might be a nice idea.
I don't think I'm gonna use it, but it could be useful for some people.

Most of my contacts don't have MSN Public Profile.
Actually, I don't have it either :p.
Registered 7643 days, 8 hours, 46 minutes, 48 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

05-04-2004 11:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: