What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Poll: Non-English [i]controlled[/i] spamming allowed in T&T, what do you think?
No, don't like idea, leave the rules as they are now
Yes, but only for some important minority languages in these forums  (e.g. Dutch, French and Spanish)
Yeah, do it for any language!
Errm... I don't really give a f**k :refuck:
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance
Author: Message:
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance
Yep, that u did Keystorm! And i went slightly offtopic talkin about a help section for non-english cuz it's something that has been goin thru my mind for quite some time already. Maybe i should have setup a poll for it (soz if it messed up ur thread).

This post was edited on 05-05-2004 at 08:28 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-05-2004 08:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance
NP, it's been discussed many times about other languages, but admins and mods seemed not to want so. So well.. I think there's not much to do in this direction.

But we're talking about spam, it's not that serious. The rules say all rules apply to T&T but far not so strictly as to any other Forum...
I suggest only a slight modification... T&T is unimportant anyway, and anyone needs to spam from time to time.

Imagine Patchou starts a T&T thread in French, what would happen then?
He spams sometimes, same do we, I don't see a major problem of having other languages... And I sincerely don't see a reason to mind about them (although there seems to be, though).
05-05-2004 08:30 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
well, after reading this thread several times, now i think i have a clearer idea of what i think...

imo, there shouldn't be any problem if some member starts a thread in T&T in non english language. those kind of threads are just to talk about nothing and have a bit of fun with the people who speaks your same mother language (or how it's said).

about other people not being able to know what is said in that thread: well, I don't care if i see a dutch thread in T&T. I just ignore it. If it's in T&T that's because it isn't important at all. I'm more dissapointed if I see a dutch thread in the translation section and I can't understand it (and that thread is 100% legal. it's posters do not have to translate it, acording to the rules).

about a help section for non english people: that have been requested before with not much success... anyway, I remember people asking for help and posting in spanish and dutch... noone told them to post in english ('cause they said they couldn't) and they got an answer to their problem... What I mean is this: yes, we have to do our best possible to encourage poeple post in english, but we don't have to be like polices and criticize people posting in other language than english, specially if they need help and can't speak english. And, of course, why can't we post in other language in T&T? imo, its the same as if I post a thread like "post something about the poster before you". if I post it in GCC, that would be spam and (as said in the rules) that's not allowed (and should be deleted). If I post it in T&T noone complains (but the rules say it is...) and it isn't deleted

conclusion: don't be so strict in T&T, one thing would be to post 2 or 3 threads per day in T&T in non-english and another thing quite different is post one thread each 3 months...

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Imagine Patchou starts a T&T thread in French, what would happen then?
He spams sometimes, same do we
for example, (and i don't want to criticize patchou, i agree on his behaviour): I've seen patchou posting in french (without any translation) in threads outside T&T. Sometimes he was answering a french person who asked something about plus, but some other times, he was just following a conversation (topic) not related to plus.
did anyone complain? no.

as said before, imo, we shouldn't be so strict about the language and focus more on other more important things (like (true) spamming, etc...)

btw, this rule:
quote:
Subjects: The subject line of a thread should be descriptive, not something like "I need help." If a certain subject has already been discussed, making a new thread about it is discouraged. Please browse or search the forums before posting a thread.
i've seen lots of threads with a totally non-descriptive subject and that's a thing that annoys me because next time i see the thread i dunno what it is about. And noobody says anything about that. and that rule is sa valid as the language one so...

well, with this i don't mean I want that rule to be strictly aplied, I can sleep well being it like it's now.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
05-05-2004 09:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
I've seen patchou posting in french (without any translation) in threads outside T&T. Sometimes he was answering a french person who asked something about plus, but some other times, he was just following a conversation (topic) not related to plus.
did anyone complain? no.
If someone requests help in French, and another French-speaker replies before a mod does something with the thread, great! I'm glad that person could be helped. :)

The poster should not have expected a reply though. It would also be nice if there was a translation, but the important thing is that the user was helped.

quote:
as said before, imo, we shouldn't be so strict about the language and focus more on other more important things (like (true) spamming, etc...)
I agree... though we should only be slightly less strict. Non-English posting should be allowed in Translation and T&T, and T&T threads should have a label like "[spanish]" in front of the subject.

The rules page could be modified... it's not written in stone; it was written in HTML by a stupid guy who calls himself WDZ. :p

quote:
i've seen lots of threads with a totally non-descriptive subject and that's a thing that annoys me because next time i see the thread i dunno what it is about. And noobody says anything about that. and that rule is sa valid as the language one so...
That particular item is more of a guideline than a rule. Mods are not expected to "fix" subjects that aren't descriptive enough. Users just shouldn't use them in the first place.
05-06-2004 02:44 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I agree... though we should only be slightly less strict. Non-English posting should be allowed in Translation and T&T, and T&T threads should have a label like "[spanish]" in front of the subject.
* Choli agrees
of course non english threads should be only in T&T and translation, and for me there's no problem in putting [spanish] in the thread title ;)
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
The rules page could be modified... it's not written in stone; it was written in HTML by a stupid guy who calls himself WDZ.

:lol:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
That particular item is more of a guideline than a rule. Mods are not expected to "fix" subjects that aren't descriptive enough. Users just shouldn't use them in the first place.
let's consider the language rule a guideline in T&T and translation forums too, ok?
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
05-06-2004 10:33 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
This is what I think....

I don't think is such a big deal if somebody post in other languages than english...

In the Spam threads in other languages we never insult other members...or say anything bad about anything...we just wanna talk a little bit with People that speak our same language...

I honestly don't see the harm in making SPAMMY threads in other languages...

Cheers

Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
05-06-2004 04:36 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Omaaar
I honestly don't see the harm in making SPAMMY threads in other languages...
Yeah... we let traxor spam in T&T, and he's not speaking English. :refuck:

You could just spam aasg';ljkdfgkjlsd'asfd;kljds crap and nobody would care, so other languages should be fine... :p
05-06-2004 05:01 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
You could just spam aasg';ljkdfgkjlsd'asfd;kljds crap and nobody would care, so other languages should be fine... :p

* .blade// wonders what the google translator would do if u entered "aasg';ljkdfgkjlsd'asfd;kljds" into it :P
* .blade// tries it:

It does nothing :( lol
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
05-06-2004 05:07 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance
Do we assume then that...

Other languages than English may be used in Testing & Trashing as long as they are used in separated threads and the used language is stated in the thread title in brackets. However, flaming will be still persecuted with all available weapons.

?
05-06-2004 05:40 PM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
* Chrono slaps Johnny_Mac around a bit with a large trout.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
You could just spam aasg';ljkdfgkjlsd'asfd;kljds crap and nobody would care, so other languages should be fine... 
So true :P
When people read a spanish thread, as they cant understand it, they complain, though its T&T so whats the prob?
as clearly stated:
quote:
Testing & Trashing
This is the place where you can test stuff and spam around freely.
:dodgy:
if u dont stand what are they talkin about, just dont read the thread :P its in T&T so its just spam

in reply to Keystorm's last post:
u are not saying anything new there :P
flaming and insulting each other in such threads will eventually be reported and posts will be deleted.

This post was edited on 05-06-2004 at 09:23 PM by Chrono.
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
05-06-2004 09:17 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: