What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » MP3! not loading on my XP guest account

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
MP3! not loading on my XP guest account
Author: Message:
Pilou

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account
quote:
btw, that's right, however, Guest accounts don't use to have the needed rights to execute msgplus.exe so for all guest account you have to install plus.

No, no, no !!! Not necessary !!!

You just have to grant the "restricted users" the rights to read/execute the files located in the "Program Files/Messenger Plus" directory and that's all. (I've checked, it's perfectly working on my XP).

By default, only Administrators and Power users have the right to read/execute/modify everything that is located in the Program Files folder. Restricted users and guests accounts can only read/execute these files.

For some reasons, the files installed by Messenger Plus! are not readable and executable by the restricted users/guest users (I don't know if the power users are granted these rights, but I'm sure that the admistrators are).

The only thing you have to change is the way the Messenger plus! installation process create its files. It has to grant every users the rights to read/execute Messenger plus! files. (actually you shouldn't have to worry about granting the correct rights because by default, when you create a file, it is granted the same right as the parent folder, in this case "Program Files". And this latter grants every users the "read/execute" permission).

This way, every user, including the guests, will be able to run Messenger Plus!

So there is absolutely no need to install Messenger Plus in every guest account !!!!! :)
05-23-2004 03:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pilou

RE: RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account
quote:
Originally posted by Tpgn007
However, I (logged in as the Guest that is) have just now tried to create a txt-file in that folder and for some reason XP locks me out. No access rights... I have checked under the Admin, but as far as I can tell there, no access restrictions are in place for this folder, nor its content. It's also not hidden for the Guest. Strange :S

Absolutely normal. Guests and restricted users may not create/modify files under Program Files. And this should not be a problem for a program to run...

This post was edited on 05-23-2004 at 04:03 PM by Pilou.
05-23-2004 04:02 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Well, if Plus!2 worked for you this way, I'll check it out. The main problem is probably that your users dont have haccess to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
[Image: signature2.gif]
05-23-2004 04:05 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Pilou
By default, only Administrators and Power users have the right to read/execute/modify everything that is located in the Program Files folder. Restricted users and guests accounts can only read/execute these files.

For some reasons, the files installed by Messenger Plus! are not readable and executable by the restricted users/guest users (I don't know if the power users are granted these rights, but I'm sure that the admistrators are).
that's what I meant, however I suggested to install it in each account because for "normal" people it's easier install it again than set the right permissions of a folder in Win XP.

Of course I agree that the default behaviour of the plus setup program should be set those needed permissions by default :)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
05-23-2004 04:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pilou

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Well, if Plus!2 worked for you this way, I'll check it out. The main problem is probably that your users dont have haccess to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

I was talking about Plus! 3...

Restricted users indeed don't have access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. They shouldn't... And Messenger Plus shouldn't write something there...
05-23-2004 04:17 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Pilou
Restricted users indeed don't have access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. They shouldn't... And Messenger Plus shouldn't write something there...
guest accounts have read access to HKLM\software\patchou\msgplus2 so that shouldn't be a problem. IMO the problem is that they can't execute msgplus.exe 8-)
05-23-2004 04:28 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I just tried installing in admin and using in a Guest account on two computers, and it worked fine everytime. Could you uninstall Plus!, restart, make sure the Messenger Plus! 3 dierctory is deleted and install again? the setup will recreate the directory and Windows wil set the appropriate rights on it.

Patchou
05-25-2004 05:41 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I just remembered the new setup is using a new function to create the directory. I just changed it, maybe it will fix your problems. Please let me knoe next week, when version 3.01 is released.

Thanks,
Patchou
05-25-2004 05:51 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
I just tried installing in admin and using in a Guest account on two computers, and it worked fine everytime. Could you uninstall Plus!, restart, make sure the Messenger Plus! 3 dierctory is deleted and install again? the setup will recreate the directory and Windows wil set the appropriate rights on it.

Patchou
I did that with the final release of plus.
quote:
I just remembered the new setup is using a new function to create the directory. I just changed it, maybe it will fix your problems. Please let me knoe next week, when version 3.01 is released.

Thanks,
Patchou
of course ;)
05-25-2004 07:16 PM
Pilou

quote:

Patchou

That's also what I did the first time ! But I'll try again...
05-25-2004 07:58 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: