What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » what is this!?!?!?!?!?!

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
what is this!?!?!?!?!?!
Author: Message:
themeaty

O.P. Huh?  what is this!?!?!?!?!?!
TO THE DEVELOPER(S) OF MESSENGER PLUS:

When the sponsor bar appeared on my screen one of the first links available was labeled SEX. Hello!! Maybe I'm wrong, but don't children use the internet?? My little sister doesn't need that crap dished out to her.

1) DO NOT bundle the piece-of-crap junk software known as adware with Messenger Plus. No one wants it. It alters our personal settings. You people screw with my personal settings and I get EXTREMELY PO'd.

2) DO NOT say on your official public forum the adware/sponsor is "harmless" and " very handy." FACT: It is NOT!! You're a developer, you should know this!!

You obviously know that pretty much everyone automatically clicks "Yes" or something that resembles "Yes" for license agreements. Thats how Morpheous416 (see previous thread) and I were misled by you (the developer) to install the sponsor adware. We want your excellent messenger add-on, not to have to sit and interpret your installer into english.

Get It Right Guys!
05-26-2004 05:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
themeaty

O.P. RE: what is this!?!?!?!?!?!
Hey all its me again. I just got this in my e-mail in response to my original post.

----
That means you installed the OPTIONAL sponsor program.
To remove it: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598... (visit the thread to read more)
----

Well...DUUUH! I know its OPTIONAL. Maybe if you'd read my post you'd see the point I'm trying to make!
05-26-2004 05:42 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: what is this!?!?!?!?!?!
Of course the adware is harmless, and yes, as a developer, I can affirm it. There's nothing wrong about advertisement popuips and a search bar (yes, a search bar IS handy).

I'm not misleading anyone, the words "Sponsor Agreement" are written in bold at the top of the agreement window and if you check the window again, you'll see that there's nothing wrong with it (about 40% of my users don't install with the sponsor, that's 800,000 people every month, it can't count for nothing).

However, I agree with you that sexual content must not be displayed, and I've taken a lot of steps with my sponsor to avoid this. I just reinstalled the sponsor package and I don't see anything wrong on the main page of the search engine. Could you give more information about your problem?

Thank you,
Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
05-26-2004 05:58 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
themeaty

When I open IE, a search bar is added to the Windows Task Bar that includes two sex links. I have attached a JPG screen shot of this bar. (If the attachment isn't available please visit http://meaty.bravehost.com/mysearchbar_01.jpg)

This is what happened:

-After installing Messenger Plus and realizing my default homepage was changed, I promptly went into Internet Options and clicked 'Use Blank.'

-Upon restarting the computer the default homepage was changed (AGAIN) to this:
http://mysearchnow.com/passthrough/index.html?http://about:blank

-A search bar is added to the taskbar as stated above.

Thanks.

.jpg File Attachment: mysearchbar_01.jpg (46.92 KB)
This file has been downloaded 225 time(s).
05-26-2004 06:24 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
If your home page is changed back automatically, it proibably means that you have some other adware program installed, I'll confirm that with my sponsor.

However, this big bar you show in the screenshot is aweful, how did you get that? are you positively sure it comes from my sponsor? I never saw that and its not supposed to be there.
[Image: signature2.gif]
05-26-2004 06:53 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
themeaty

Please note this search bar does not appear unless I click 'Use Blank' in the Internet Options of IE. I am convinced this is a result of the sponsor/adware bundled with MP-3. I run a very clean computer and at this time MP-3's sponsor is the only adware running.

This is what I did to get the search bar attached to the taskbar:

1) Install MP-3 with Sponsor software
2) Open IE after installation is done...the default homepage is changed to the Web Search.
3) Open Internet Options from the Tools menu and click 'Use Blank' for the homepage.
4) Close IE and restart the computer (thats what I always did, you may or may not have to restart).
5) Open IE and the search bar attached to the taskbar will appear.

I did this three times (uninstalling MP-3 each time and verifying I had a clean system running no adware) and each time I had the same result.

1) When I open IE this is the path it follows (set in the default homepage):
http://mysearchnow.com/passthrough/index.html?http://about:blank
and the window title is 'Invalid syntax error - Microsoft Internet Explorer'

2) IE then creates a second instance of IE on the taskbar even though no second window appears. This second instance of IE is actually the search bar attached to the taskbar. The window is titled 'http://mysearchnow.com/...'

You'll see the titles in my previously attached JPG.

Thank you for your time this evening.

This post was edited on 05-26-2004 at 07:17 AM by themeaty.
05-26-2004 07:15 AM
frankiedaman

35 / – / –
I believe that huge bar on your desktop is from C2 Media (aka "Lop"). My friend had a similar problem to that a couple of days ago. I dont think this is spyware or adware from Messenger Plus.
05-26-2004 08:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

the search bar got rid of my address bar, any idea how to get it back?
05-26-2004 08:59 PM
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
the search bar got rid of my address bar, any idea how to get it back?
Right... Go to View > Toolbars > Address.
05-26-2004 09:04 PM
Rouge8

I uninstalled Plus temporarily because of the sponser, and also restarted. However, I never received a window with code.

I think I might have run adaware sometime before trying to remove the sponsor, so I hope that didn't mess anything up...

Anyways, the sponsor program is still there, is there anything else I can do to remove it?
05-27-2004 01:29 AM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: