What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Filetransfer status in the chatwindow

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
Poll: Who would want a filetransfer status icon, placed somewhere in the chatwindow?
YES!!!
No
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
1 votes - 5 average   Filetransfer status in the chatwindow
Author: Message:
Martijn.

Previously known as |\/|artij|\|

34 / Male / –
RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow
This is a good idea (It was requested before, but I hope it will finally be implanted someday).

However, I think it'd be better to make this as a toast pop-up, because many people I know have large DP's, so the transfer stats as they are shown in the screenshot wouldn't show correctly...
"If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom."
05-29-2004 10:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
elliot

RE: RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow
quote:
Originally posted by lhunath
That would screw up the conv window for people using a bigger DP...

That's the other great thing about my design! ;)
05-29-2004 01:40 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Only way it could be done is by port sniffing and still thats pushing it, and as everyone said it would screw up the convo window with bigger dps, now another window could be used that would store them all, and again there is lots of room for error so...
05-29-2004 02:19 PM
ChronoGSM

O.P. RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow
Ok, if i understand correctly, everyone agrees there should be some kind of transfer status. The only thing left is how it should look like.

But as a seperate windows (like a toast-popup), that becomes messy... i have seen that with other messengers and if you have multiple chatwindows, with a filetransfer from each pal, it will become very messy and hard to tell which is from whom.
afterall, we don't want too many open windows on our desktop+o(

But perhaps it can be made in several stages in the active chatwindow, that can be selected in the options menu on which one you prefer.
1/ a simple icon for each transfer in the chatwindow (for thos who don't want to mess up their window)
2/ a progressbar
3/ a full detailed bar/section in the chatwindows

perhaps when it's begun with step 1, you can pulldown, more options or properties.... and that with every stage....

Just put the different stages in the options menu and let the user decide wich one they prefer (even if you prefer toast popups). That way, everyone is happy (Y):D

05-29-2004 03:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
What your not understanding is that the only way of doing it is using a port sniffer, But the port sniffer wont be able to tell you which transfer you are getting the data from if you can get any data from it at all.
05-29-2004 03:55 PM
ChronoGSM

If a portsniffer is the only way, then how does MSN itself keep track on which transfer is on how many bytes have been send?

I'm not a programmer, but it seems to me like those main resources are already available in msn itself, just not visible like we would want to.

Like many options in msn (emoticons, colors, contactnames, statuses, etc) have been tapped into, or copied. Why should this be any different?
MSN has already a progressbar for every transfer, just on a very awkward place.

MsgPlus has not only added features of msn, but also made existing features more accessable and more enhanced.

To me, this would be one of those things...

But hey, then again, i'm not a programmer, i just use logic... lol ;)

This post was edited on 05-29-2004 at 04:07 PM by ChronoGSM.
05-29-2004 04:06 PM
ChronoGSM

I don't mean to disagree with you, but it's just me, when someone says something is impossible, i will always look for proof to show nothing is impossible ... lol....     

Even when someone says, "it's impossible except if you do 1 thing"

Reviewing history i noticed there were always more solutions to a mission impossible..... It's only afterwards that people tend to see that..... That is why i never agree with something beïng impossible.

(erhmmmmm did anyone understand this jibberish? cause i seem to have lost track.. lol  )
06-05-2004 12:20 AM
lhunath

.{ Lord Daisy }.

39 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by ChronoGSM
I don't mean to disagree with you, but it's just me, when someone says something is impossible, i will always look for proof to show nothing is impossible ... lol....     

Even when someone says, "it's impossible except if you do 1 thing"

Reviewing history i noticed there were always more solutions to a mission impossible..... It's only afterwards that people tend to see that..... That is why i never agree with something beïng impossible.

(erhmmmmm did anyone understand this jibberish? cause i seem to have lost track.. lol  )
You are not alone.

.. em yeah. But did you conscidder the fact that in order to understand why it's impossible, you need alot more understanding of the protocol and what the Msn / Plus! API allow us to do with it ? There may just be too many limitations, and yes, it may be possible, if you start programming and editing Msn Messenger in ASM after decompiling it...
{ -[Image: lhunath.gif]- }
06-05-2004 07:35 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pure_BY
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Very very good idea, this is also something I miss a lot.

Althoutgh elliot's design looks very sweet, it's pretty undoable, I think, here is somethin' more realistic:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=258961]

Icon appeares when you send/recieve a file (or 3), and if you point to it, you see a balloon displayin' information about file transfer.

This is pretty doable, I'm sure. If Patchou could place the :plus2: icon, he can do the same for file fransfer, and reading percentage and kb/s must not be a big problem :)

.jpg File Attachment: File transfer.jpg (74.51 KB)
This file has been downloaded 480 time(s).

This post was edited on 06-05-2004 at 11:11 PM by Pure_BY.
06-05-2004 11:07 PM
Gergith

38 / Male / –
heres an idea.. turning the event log - recent activity window into a tabbed window (upon the event of more then one tab)

and this would be a cetral place for some plugins with different features..

where plugins could creat a frame for that to be tabbed to

so then we could have a window like event logger (well the same one, just a different tab) to display it all

and have a bunch of sortable tabs, like most downloading apps, such as:

user, direction (up/down), average speed, current speed, peak speed, progress (bar, percent), remaining (time/bytes), total size, time stats (Start, time so far, estimated completion)

and it would turn into a sort of maniger, allowing downloads/uploads to sit in que (top to bottem que list i assume)

the ability to set downloads to start/request when users come online

if the ability to pause and resume downloads exists, this would be a PERFECT way to display them all from all users
07-31-2004 06:12 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: