What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Computer fan's and temperature

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Computer fan's and temperature
Author: Message:
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Computer fan's and temperature
Recently I checked the computer fan and temperature status in the bios. I found out that the computers temperature was pretty hig (I think)(CPU 61 C and System 44 C). It also said that I had only the CPU fan running, but I checked and both fans where running. Now the questions:

1) Is my computer temperature higer that it should?

2) Is the fan not correctley plugged in or what? I attached a picture how my computer looks like. You can see that I have a empty space with holes in the back - is there supposed to be a fan there?

Tell me if you didn't understand.

Thanks.

.png File Attachment: tempfan.PNG (71.84 KB)
This file has been downloaded 166 time(s).
[Image: signature.php]
06-02-2004 05:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
RE: Computer fan's and temperature
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
) Is my computer temperature higer that it should?
what computer do you have? (i mean processor, etc..)
quote:
Is the fan not correctley plugged in or what?
maybe your bios can detect the status of only one fan, or the 2nd fan is connected in a place where the bios can detect it. Usually, the motherboards offer several places where you can connect fans. Maybe yours only detects the status of the fan in some of them, not all.
quote:
I attached a picture how my computer looks like. You can see that I have a empty space with holes in the back - is there supposed to be a fan there?
yes and no. Those holes are for optional fans. You don't need to put a fan in it, however you can, if you want.
quote:
I found out that the computers temperature was pretty hig (I think)(CPU 61 C and System 44 C).
that depends on what processor you have and if your programs are idle (you're doing nothing at the computer) or they're using a lot to CPU time (like you're always playing a game, or you have a program like seti@home, etc...)

do any friend of you have the same (or similar) processor and motherboard as you? what is his/her temperature?
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
06-02-2004 11:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Computer fan's and temperature
quote:
Originally posted by Choil
what computer do you have? (i mean processor, etc..)
It's a AMD Athlon XP 1500+ with a MSI motherboard. I have a GeForce 4 Ti graphics card and I use WinXP Home.

quote:
maybe your bios can detect the status of only one fan, or the 2nd fan is connected in a place where the bios can detect it. Usually, the motherboards offer several places where you can connect fans. Maybe yours only detects the status of the fan in some of them, not all.
Thanks.

quote:
yes and no. Those holes are for optional fans. You don't need to put a fan in it, however you can, if you want.
Okey, I think that I will install a new fan then. Depends on what you answer on my question later on ;)

quote:
that depends on what processor you have and if your programs are idle (you're doing nothing at the computer) or they're using a lot to CPU time (like you're always playing a game, or you have a program like seti@home, etc...)
That temperature is when I only surf with the comp (and doing ohter small things, like MSN ets. etc.). I haven't checked the temp when I play games because my temperature and fan program is pretty new (downloaded yesterday). I play games pretty much so I guess I should check.

quote:
do any friend of you have the same (or similar) processor and motherboard as you? what is his/her temperature?

Nope.

New question: Can the comp show a Blue Screen when it becomes too hot? I get them now and then and now when I think about it - it has always been a warm day and I get it almost only on summers. It also happens more often when I am watching TV = one more card in the computer is working.

Thanks.
06-02-2004 04:25 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Can the comp show a Blue Screen when it becomes too hot?
if the processor becomes too hot, it's internal circuits may fail and do wrong things. If that happens while "important" code is being executed (ie: code of a the OS), it may result in a BSOD, yes.

quote:
fan program is pretty new (downloaded yesterday).
another thing: is the program done specially for you mother board or is it a generic program? you should see the site of your motherboard and get that kind of programs form there, if they exist. if not, note that 3rd parties programs may not display the exat temperature.

quote:
It's a AMD Athlon XP 1500+ with a MSI motherboard. I have a GeForce 4 Ti graphics card and I use WinXP Home.
i think (not very sure, tho.) that 61 C is too much hot for an Athonl XP.

one last thing: maybe the problem is not with the fans but with the dissipator (<- dodgy word, i don't know how it's said in english. I mean the thing that is placed between the processor and the fan and it takes the hot off the processor. I hope you get me: for example in the next image you see the fan and below it's that thing:
[Image: app2305-1.jpg] )

Well, now that you already know about what i'm talking... :
maybe that thing isn't big enough for your precessor and maybe you should buy other that is bigger and/or more powerful

quote:
Okey, I think that I will install a new fan then. Depends on what you answer on my question later on
you can install it, but i don't think it'll decrease a lot the temperature. fans placed there are to decrease a bit the global temperature inside the computer. I think that your problem has to do with the processor and if i was you, I'd buy a new fan with a new "thing" in the first place. Then I'd think about putting a fan there ;)
06-02-2004 04:48 PM
Black_Forky

My AMD Athalon 2600+ runs at 51C idle
Much hotter than intel ;)
And doesn't the computer shut down if it gets over a certain temp?
[Image: LAME.jpg]
*Caution* You could be lame if you are not careful
06-02-2004 04:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Computer fan's and temperature
quote:
another thing: is the program done specially for you mother board or is it a generic program? you should see the site of your motherboard and get that kind of programs form there, if they exist. if not, note that 3rd parties programs may not display the exat temperature.
Yep, downloaded it from the MSI homepage, it's called PCAlert 4. It also shows voltage. Don't know if it's made just for my model but I tired anohter one (from the MSI homepage too) that said that it didn't support that model so I suppose this program does.

quote:
i think (not very sure, tho.) that 61 C is too much hot for an Athonl XP.

one last thing: maybe the problem is not with the fans but with the dissipator (<- dodgy word, i don't know how it's said in english. I mean the thing that is placed between the processor and the fan and it takes the hot off the processor. I hope you get me: for example in the next image you see the fan and below it's that thing:
[Image: app2305-1.jpg] )

Well, now that you already know about what i'm talking... :
maybe that thing isn't big enough for your precessor and maybe you should buy other that is bigger and/or more powerful
quote:
Okey, I think that I will install a new fan then. Depends on what you answer on my question later on
you can install it, but i don't think it'll decrease a lot the temperature. fans placed there are to decrease a bit the global temperature inside the computer. I think that your problem has to do with the processor and if i was you, I'd buy a new fan with a new "thing" in the first place. Then I'd think about putting a fan there ;)
Ok, I'll talk with the ppl at the trusty computer shop when I go upgrade the computer sometime in the near future. Btw, I have pretty much dust on the sissipatorwhatever, chould that cause the overheating?
06-02-2004 05:02 PM
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
It never hurts to have a bigger "thing". ;)

Also known as heatsinks. They come in all shapes and sizes. The copper ones are very good, but are heavy and normally expensive.

Try to look for a heatsink with an 80mm fan. It will be able to blow more air over the heatsink without being too loud. Noise is a very big issue when it comes to heatsinks and fans :)

You could put a fan at the back of your case to expel the hot air coming off the processor. But you need to remember that air in = air out. The secret to cooling is good airflow. Even tidying all the cables inside so that air flows easily can make a few degrees of difference. Beware: you can spend a fortune keeping things cool.

If you have high temps, but don't have any stability issues, then there isn't a great deal to worry about. If you are getting lockups, or BSODs, then it could be a heat issue. It might just be that your heatsink isn't seated correctly, and needs to be refitted with some fresh thermal transfer paste.

As Choli said, sometime these temperatures are not always totally accurate. Even so, 61°C for an idle Athlon XP does seem a bit hot :-/
06-02-2004 05:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Computer fan's and temperature
I forgot one thing: The fan is in the "power box" inside the computer, is this normal or should there also be a fan that blows air directley into the "big room"?

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
Try to look for a heatsink with an 80mm fan. It will be able to blow more air over the heatsink without being too loud. Noise is a very big issue when it comes to heatsinks and fans :)
Tell me about it...

This post was edited on 06-02-2004 at 05:39 PM by Vilkku.
06-02-2004 05:37 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Black_Forky
And doesn't the computer shut down if it gets over a certain temp?
that depends. It may restart it self, show a BSOD, freeze, shut down, etc...
quote:
Yep, downloaded it from the MSI homepage, it's called PCAlert 4. It also shows voltage. Don't know if it's made just for my model but I tired anohter one (from the MSI homepage too) that said that it didn't support that model so I suppose this program does.
that's good
quote:
Ok, I'll talk with the ppl at the trusty computer shop when I go upgrade the computer sometime in the near future.
(Y)
quote:
Btw, I have pretty much dust on the sissipatorwhatever, chould that cause the overheating?
try to clean it, and when you put it again, make sure it contacts properly with the processor. If needed use the paste Jeronimo says:
quote:
It might just be that your heatsink isn't seated correctly, and needs to be refitted with some fresh thermal transfer paste.
quote:
It never hurts to have a bigger "thing".

Also known as heatsinks.
I'll try to remember that word :P
quote:
I forgot one thing: The fan is in the "power box" inside the computer, is this normal or should there also be a fan that blows air directley into the "big room"?
you must have a fun over the processor that will take the hot from the processor to the inside of the computer. Power boxes use to have another that is used to cool theirselves and takes the air to the room. <- those 2 are a must. Then you can have one in the grafics card, or in those holes you said before.
06-02-2004 06:21 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Computer fan's and temperature
Okey, thanks all. I'm not too good with the hardware-part of computers so I have to remember to tell the guys at the computer store to check the heatsink too (mabye get a new one). Once again, thanks for your help.
06-02-2004 06:36 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: