What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Calling all linux users

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Calling all linux users
Author: Message:
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
O.P. Undecided  Calling all linux users
Would linux users please just give me an idea of the benefits of the linux OS. Details would also be great of:
  • length of time using windows and linux
  • when you changed OS
  • did you buy a windows based system then change
  • buy a PC with linux pre-installed
  • or buy a PC without an operating system then install linux
As a believer in microsoft i would like to see opinions from the other side.
Who knows, you might even change my mind!!!
Windows or any other operating system users are welcomed to join the discussion as i would like to see your points of view.
Thanks
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
06-10-2004 06:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: Calling all linux users
:spam: :banana:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=261243]

I don't use Linux much....mostly just to fool around...I dwlded Mandrake Linux about 6 months ago and find it prety useless...I like Longhorn 4074 far better.....although I think all the OS's have downsides.....I think they should make a hybrid - Mac OS X's layout with with Linux's stability and Windows compatibility :P

(btw I posted that Control panel screenshot u wanted in my Longhorn thread).

.gif File Attachment: apple_pie.gif (17.83 KB)
This file has been downloaded 380 time(s).

This post was edited on 06-10-2004 at 07:01 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
06-10-2004 06:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
Well i used one linux - linux knopppix and i would change to linux for sure IF there were as much softare for it as for linux thats the major reason why i don't use it.
And/or kinda of wine better then the actual one that would make possible all the app's for windows work on linux..
06-10-2004 06:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Calling all linux users
quote:
I think they should make a hybrid - Mac OS X's layout with with Linux's stability and Windows compatibility

That would be great but the problem is as soon as you try to make everything work on your OS like microsoft have done you lose some stability and it cant ever look are beutiful or seamless as macOSX. Its impossible.
Personally, i like Windows because of the combatibility and their stability and beauty is increasing alll the time.
06-10-2004 07:06 PM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
I haven't used Linux long yet, I'm more used to Windows. But a big advantage of Linux is offcourse the security and that you know more about what's happening on your computer. It's a big change from Windows to Linux and it's not really advised if you don't know something about computers.
The open-source is also a good advantage as more people workl o it all over the world and Linux is also being updated more often than Windows.

If I buy a computer there's no software installed as I don't like that and because I set the computer together myself. So afterwards I install a OS. Linux is also a lot cheaper (you can get it free or for a small price with a manual) than Windows.

Saying what's the best OS is not easy as each one of them has his advantages and disadvantages. If you choose Linux you have to wonder which distribution you're gonna get.

But there are on this board people who know more about Linux like Choli, PlusFan and others :).
06-10-2004 07:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
That would be great but the problem is as soon as you try to make everything work on your OS like microsoft have done you lose some stability and it cant ever look are beutiful or seamless as macOSX. Its impossible.
Personally, i like Windows because of the combatibility and their stability and beauty is increasing alll the time.

not necissarily...depends how they go about the coding...
06-10-2004 07:09 PM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Calling all linux users
i dont want to be the prophet of doom for linux users but i think stability is diretly related to levels of compatability. As more programs are made to work on linux i think it will become more unstable and unsecure
06-10-2004 07:14 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
i dont want to be the prophet of doom for linux users but i think stability is diretly related to levels of compatability. As more programs are made to work on linux i think it will become more unstable and unsecure

not really, it all depends on the source coding, if it is very well made with a high itegrity, the Operating system is less likely to crash. If they spend a looooong time coding an OS with MANY fall-safe's and a hgih prevention of spyware and back-doors (or trojans) then it will likely crash very little...though the bigger the source the more CPU intensive it is.
06-10-2004 07:17 PM
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Making more programs for an OS doesn't make the OS less stable unless you install them all or something...

However, making an OS so that it can support a greater variety of things does make it unstable, because not only do you complicate things by having different bits coded to add support for this or that, but you have to ensure that they all agree with each other.  This is the problem with Windows, to be honest... because it is trying to gain the monopoly as an operating system, it tries as much as possible to support past, present and future programs and processes, sacrificing stability. My long-term prediction is that as OSes get more advanced, the rate of development will slow down.  Eventually, only a minority will use an OS older than the latest one because of its longevity... the OS developers will then be able to phase out cross-compatibility for further speed and stability.  It could be ages before this happens though
06-10-2004 07:24 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
Making more programs for an OS doesn't make the OS less stable unless you install them all or something...

However, making an OS so that it can support a greater variety of things does make it unstable, because not only do you complicate things by having different bits coded to add support for this or that, but you have to ensure that they all agree with each other.  This is the problem with Windows, to be honest... because it is trying to gain the monopoly as an operating system, it tries as much as possible to support past, present and future programs and processes, sacrificing stability. My long-term prediction is that as OSes get more advanced, the rate of development will slow down.  Eventually, only a minority will use an OS older than the latest one because of its longevity... the OS developers will then be able to phase out cross-compatibility for further speed and stability.  It could be ages before this happens though

Exactly.....imho I think that we should start over....it could takes many years but it would be worth it...re-code almost all of the older programs into current compatibility and change the way the OS works, causing a far greater stability and a higher security level, though this will likely never happen...
06-10-2004 07:28 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: