What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » A new trojan is circulating as a Messenger Plus! Plugin

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
A new trojan is circulating as a Messenger Plus! Plugin
Author: Message:
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

RE: A new trojan is circulating as a Messenger Plus! Plugin
correct me if i'm wrong, but writing an activeX exe makes your plugin exe, and if you add the reg keys to the class of your exe ("MyActiveXExe.MyPluginClass"), it should work.
06-16-2004 11:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
To clarify some things, first, yes, I own the site the Security Alert appeared on, No, I didnt put up a fake alert to scare people.

A contact on my list submitted the file to me (unaware it was a virus), he said his friend got it from a website claiming it added tons of sounds to MSN Messenger.  The "plugin" is just that, not a plugin at all.

I have been unable to find this plugin in the wild, so its basically a "Zoo" virus.

I hope that cleared some things up, also, the security alert has been lifted due to the fact that I cannot confirm it is in the wild anymore.
06-25-2004 07:03 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
A contact on my list submitted the file to me (unaware it was a virus), he said his friend got it from a website claiming it added tons of sounds to MSN Messenger.  The "plugin" is just that, not a plugin at all.

I have been unable to find this plugin in the wild, so its basically a "Zoo" virus.
Don't use fancy words if you can't back it up with evidence!

You don't have the means to search for "wild" virusses, so don't say it is or isn't "wild". Furthermore, if it can be downloaded on a public site, chances are that it is spreading...

Also, the word wild-virus and zoo-virus doesn't exist! Every virus is "wild". There isn't such a thing as a zoo-virus. Wild is a term that indicates the spread-rate of a virus...

Furthermore, only virus companies have to means to estimate the spreading of virusses (and even they fail to do a proper estimate sometimes) and thus can give a proper value to the wild-term.

Also, you said in the reoprt that it was a Messenger Plus! plugin, now your saying it is an addon for MSN Messenger? :dodgy: ....

This post was edited on 06-25-2004 at 07:48 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-25-2004 07:42 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Varish

36 / Male / –
[Image: misc11.jpg]

Patchou said it only makes it worse to talk about it. :D
[Image: sig.png]
06-25-2004 08:06 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo

Don't use fancy words if you can't back it up with evidence!

You don't have the means to search for "wild" virusses, so don't say it is or isn't "wild". Furthermore, if it can be downloaded on a public site, chances are that it is spreading...

Also, the word wild-virus and zoo-virus doesn't exist! Every virus is "wild". There isn't such a thing as a zoo-virus. Wild is a term that indicates the spread-rate of a virus...

Furthermore, only virus companies have to means to estimate the spreading of virusses (and even they fail to do a proper estimate sometimes) and thus can give a proper value to the wild-term.

Also, you said in the reoprt that it was a Messenger Plus! plugin, now your saying it is an addon for MSN Messenger? :dodgy: ....
The term "Zoo Virus" (by Symantecs Defination, which is what I am using) refers to a virus that is only in AntiVirus Labratories and not in the wild.

The term, "Wild Virus" (by Symantecs Defination, which is what I am using) refers to a virus that IS active for public download on a site.

The way I tried discovering the virus was doing a search for the filename of the plugin (SWMPPlugin) and clicking any links related to that, This is DEFINATLY NOT the conventional way to do it but its the only way I can see.  The reason I refer to it as a Zoo Virus after that is I couldnt find a public linking on any websites to the file, although this definatly does not mean it is gone for sure, I think it'd be really hard to find unless you were looking for it.

:), just to clear that bit up.
06-25-2004 09:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: