What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » AntiVirus Plugin

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Would you use a Virus-Protection Plugin?
This poll is closed.
Yes, I would 11 35.48%
No, I would not 12 38.71%
Maybe, not sure 8 25.81%
Total: 31 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

AntiVirus Plugin
Author: Message:
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Grin  AntiVirus Plugin
Hey,
Recently I was talking with a certain Plugin developer and came up with the idea of releasing an "AntiVirus" Plugin for Messenger Plus!.  The cool thing is it would use FD (Filename Detection) when informing you of a POSSIBLE Virus (not immediate blocking unless its like, the W32.Annoying worm, which has the filename PIC(1)(3)(2)(4).exe). The person you're talking to wouldnt require the plugin (or Plus!, for that matter)

So my poll is, if this system was used to inform you about viruses BEFORE they touch your system, Would you use it?

Post any questions here, ill be happy to describe it, I have a developer in mind ;).
06-25-2004 10:42 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
RE: AntiVirus Plugin
Personally, I won't use the plugin because I have an Antivirus program and I know when I'm safe or not to execute a received file of my contacts.

However the idea is good. Messenger shows (can show) a popup (I think) when you're gonna open an exe received file, but your plugin could add more security to that. It should work similar to what (for example) Norton Antivirus works with Win Messenger 4.7 (it scans just received files and in case it finds a virus ir sends an instant message to the contact who sent that file with a warning).

Well, as I said the idea is good. Go with it :)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
06-25-2004 11:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: AntiVirus Plugin
kool, Thanks for your feedback. Well, the idea behind this plugin (more than likely going ahead with, titled "SecureGuard 2005") is that before the virus even TOUCHES your machine it will tell you the file is in a list of known MSN Messenger worms (Aprox. 35 in circulation at this time, will include an updater to update the detection file).  However, pending what I and my co-programmer (well, Main Programmer for right now) can do, will have it do that.  I also eventually plan to have it include a link so that users can Submit potential viruses for processing, it'd be kinda kool I think, My machine is being updated to have a bunch of Diff Windows on it so not worried about damage, there like, "Disposeable Windows".

Any other thoughts?
06-26-2004 02:12 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Black_Forky

I have a question..
What if they change the filename?
[Image: LAME.jpg]
*Caution* You could be lame if you are not careful
06-26-2004 07:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Don't like the idea. McAfee antivirus scan (and I think Norton as well) automatically filters viruses out by scanning them just before they're saved...although if the plug-in actually could scan the file it would be more trustworthy (after all the file name could be changed) although this is impossible because plugins can't do that...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
06-26-2004 08:18 AM
user13774
Disabled Account

The newest Norton and McAfee automaticly scan files you receive by IM so off course they will filter out worms, but you're right that this happens AFTER you downloaded the file. Still it does not really make a difference because norton/mcafee will quarantine the file so you can't open it.

[little bit offtopic, srry for that]
Btw.. if you don't have the newest norton / mcafee you can still let it scan ur files received from your contacts in MSN. Just go the preferences windows and then the tab messages (i have dutch msn). [See attached file]

For Norton (i.e. 01/02/03) you have to use the NAVW32.EXE exe-file which is located in the Norton Antivirus directory

[Image: attachment.php?pid=268670]

.jpg File Attachment: Capture26-6-2004-11.50.15.jpg (51.14 KB)
This file has been downloaded 589 time(s).

This post was edited on 06-26-2004 at 09:54 AM by user13774.
06-26-2004 09:52 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Don't like the idea. McAfee antivirus scan (and I think Norton as well) automatically filters viruses out by scanning them just before they're saved...although if the plug-in actually could scan the file it would be more trustworthy (after all the file name could be changed) although this is impossible because plugins can't do that...

i think i am right in saying that this will have a list of all the viruses that send files through msn without the users permission. And block those.

This would also make a good plugin if it did the same for e-mail

This post was edited on 06-26-2004 at 10:32 AM by saralk.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
06-26-2004 10:31 AM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
Exoendo, this is definately the most lame thread i have ever seen...
First of all, MSN can already use a virus scanner like mcafee or norton,
second your oh-so-cool-method can be oh-so-easily bypassed by just changing the filename...
And besides, I don't think you have the skills needed to program something to check a filename when you get it sent, I highly doubt it's in some sort of API...

quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
...I have a developer in mind ;).
Sorry to bother you, but last time I checked the top three plugin developers refused to join your dodgy projects...

This post was edited on 06-26-2004 at 11:15 AM by TheBlasphemer.
[Image: theblasp.png]
06-26-2004 11:10 AM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
TB, do u always have to be so critical about everything?

there are a lot of worms that send themselfs through msn using the same filename, and that is what is protecting from

edit: :google: msn messenger worms

This post was edited on 06-26-2004 at 11:16 AM by saralk.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
06-26-2004 11:14 AM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
TB, do u always have to be so critical about everything?

there are a lot of worms that send themselfs through msn using the same filename, and that is what is protecting from

Yes, especially when it's from Dane :P
And besides, if you dont have a virusscanner: www.suprnova.org, check the apps section (a)
[Image: theblasp.png]
06-26-2004 11:15 AM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: