What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Trojan Virus Came With Download

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Trojan Virus Came With Download
Author: Message:
Shakti

O.P. Trojan Virus Came With Download
Just downloaded Messenger Plus from the download page.  Running Windows XP on Office Computer and running Messenger Version 6.2

Within moments of download Trojan Virus alert popped up.  The virus is contained within the pop-ups and toolbars that come with M-Plus.

I have deleted MSN Plus and won't be remotely interested in using it unless the virus that comes with it is removed from the download page.

06-27-2004 11:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download
There is NO trojan in Messenger Plus! and also not on the website...

What you virusscanner is detecting is the inactive sponsor program inside the setup of Messenger Plus!....

So, forgive me for saying this, but use a proper and decent virusscanner, not something free you find on the web like AVG....

But anyways, the sponsor it harmless and wont do a thing. It will NOT be installed if you don't want to.

The sponsor is a very stripped down and customize package from C2Media. The sponsor isn't spyware, trojan or any kind of virus. It is however adware, but nothing more then that! It adds a searchbar to your MSIE browser and will change your default homepage...

If you do not want this sponsor installed then simply don't choose to install it at the sponsor-agreement screen.

[Image: mp3_sponsoroption.png]

If you accidently installed the sponsor, then don't attempt to remove it with programs like ad-aware, Spybot search and destroy, etc... as these programs will NOT reconize the installed components of the sponsor, they will even cripple the uninstalling routine of Plus! AND the optional sponsor.

So in order to remove the accidently installed sponsor, simply uninstall Plus! and check the option to uninstall the sponsor. After that follow the instructions presented at that time...

For more detailed info about uninstalling see: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

More detailed talk about the sponsor:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=170076#post170076
http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8543&#45396
http://www.mess.be/msnmessengerfaq/idx/15/054/Mes...essenger_Plus.html

This post was edited on 06-27-2004 at 11:17 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-27-2004 11:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
If you have installed the sponsor, Uninstall Msg. Plus! and Install it again without the sponsor (Y)
06-27-2004 11:14 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Shakti

O.P. RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download
Well excuse me but you're wrong.

The Trojan Virus that came with the download is called HTML.Reality.D and it is not a free virus scan that picked it up.

My computer runs InoculateIT Virus Scan - it is a work computer and immediately detected the virus the moment Messenger Plus was downloaded and installed.

The virus was detected immediately and deleted.

The reason I've brought it to the attention of this forum is because it came with the Messenger Plus Download from the download page.

06-27-2004 11:21 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Shakti
the moment Messenger Plus was downloaded and installed.
I bet for $1000 that it was another false and wrong report from a virusscanner when you installed the sponsor (which you can choose NOT to install!)

There is NO trojan on the downloadpage or download itself!!!
See my previous post and also take the time to read the provides links please...

Scan the (unmodified) downloaded file with any other quality virusscanner and you will find nothing!

BTW, InoculateIT Virusscanner IS a free virusscanner and isn't mentioned in ANY of the quality-scanner-lists. Furthermore, development of InoculateIT has ceased and new virus definitions are no longer available. (taken from various sites around the net)

This post was edited on 06-27-2004 at 11:36 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-27-2004 11:26 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Hahaha, there have been SOOOO many threads about things like this. The point is, don't try to keep your PC protected with a third-rate "free" anti-virus program, spend the $30 to buy a decent commercial one like NAV or MCFE
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
06-28-2004 02:43 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
That's so true.
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-30-2004 12:35 AM
sparksalot

– / Male / –
This is abouta trojan that i got in something but not in Plus! but thought i better put it anyway. On www.mess.be is a program called CE/DP STEALER. I used  it for abput a year and then one day my virus scnaneer (norton) popped up and said it was a trojan. 1) Why did it take a year to find? 2) It never did anything to my system. Still i removed it. Just thought many people may download this so I should put it up.
Sparksalot
06-30-2004 08:53 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by sparksalot
This is abouta trojan that i got in something but not in Plus! but thought i better put it anyway. On www.mess.be is a program called CE/DP STEALER. I used  it for abput a year and then one day my virus scnaneer (norton) popped up and said it was a trojan. 1) Why did it take a year to find? 2) It never did anything to my system. Still i removed it. Just thought many people may download this so I should put it up.

the details are on mess.be about that program and why it think it is a trojan

[edit]
"We did however get a lot of reports lately regarding CE/DP Stealer. Norton Antivirus (and ONLY Norton) has classified this addon as a Trojan Horse, so if you have NAV installed it will trigger a virus alert. But we do have all reason to believe this is not the case. Sherv, the programmer himself, assured us: "There is 200% no trojan in CE/DP Stealer 1.4.5, there is no msbb.exe or any DLL by that name, there is no adware, absolutely NOTHING but the program".

Maybe it was just the unluckily chosen name which reminded Norton of the dreadful password "stealers" for MSN Messenger. Maybe it exploits our privacy by stealing images from everyone (and their contracts) using the same PC for chatting. Maybe it reads cached user information Microsoft doesn't want to be found. Maybe it violates copyright laws by stealing a display picture "artistically created" by an individual. These are all speculations, but after the investigation I decided to re-enabled the download again. Just don't freak out when your get a virus alert on Norton ;)" (from mess.be)

This post was edited on 06-30-2004 at 09:03 PM by toddy.
06-30-2004 09:00 PM
nyzrox

Mariaaaaaaaaaa

36 / Male / –
Hey bro ive had plus for a few years never got a 'Trojan, Worm or Virus' from this software nor did i install the sponsor get your self some desent anti virus software, i recomend soft whcih i use
F-Secure Anti-Virus 5.41 Build 8490
07-27-2004 11:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: