What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Trojan Virus Came With Download

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Trojan Virus Came With Download
Author: Message:
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download
Norton AntiVirus detects the sponsor as a threat ONCE ITS EXTRACTED, if you choose to install it.  If you dont install it, no threat regarding Plus! in any manner is detected.

Anywayz, As others have said, spend the $30.00 on a REAL AntiVirus.
07-27-2004 11:30 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
nyzrox

Mariaaaaaaaaaa

36 / Male / –
why does pathou put that sponsor in his installer tho it sucks, spy ware is shit that what comes in the installer is worse then gator ffs :S(N)
07-28-2004 12:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by nyzrox
why does pathou put that sponsor in his installer tho it sucks, spy ware is shit that what comes in the installer is worse then gator ffs :S(N)

because the sponsor program pays patchou, and as you can imagine creating a program as good as messenger plus takes a lot of time and there is a lot of costs to pay, and patchou wants the program to be free so he has decided that to pay the costs he has a sponsor program.
07-28-2004 12:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
spy ware is shit
I agree. The sponsor program is not spyware, though.
quote:
that what comes in the installer is worse then gator ffs
I must say I don't know Gator, but have you read what the sponsor program does? The main thing is that it adds a toolbar in Internet Explorer, adds some favourites and changes your homepage. Read the license agreement for more detailed information.

I don't know what Gator does, but I doubt it's less than the sponsor program.
07-28-2004 12:57 PM
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Trojan Virus Came With Download
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
...The sponsor isn't spyware, trojan or any kind of virus. It is however adware, but nothing more then that!

Are you absolutely certain? Because some of the things stated in the License Agreement honestly make you wonder.

Let me quote:

"Software is installed and information related to such change, including but not limited to the web address (URL), for the new home page, search page and default error page will be sent to C2's servers or third party servers."

C2 provides you with the software product known as lop.com (the "Software") free of charge or at a reduced cost in exchange for your agreement to accept advertising and other promotional messages delivered by C2 and third parties to your computer based in part on the keywords in the websites that you or any user of the computer visits. The additional content may include advertisements, promotions, links to third party websites or other materials delivered to your computer that match your interests, based in part on keywords found in the websites that you visit.  Your interests are matched to the additional content based on keywords collected from the websites you visit.  The keywords are provided to C2's servers or third party servers, which deliver the selected additional content to your computer in response to the keywords

Can this not, at least remotely, be classified as spying on people??

Anyway, read on:

INFORMATION C2 COLLECTS INCLUDES:
• Standard web log information and computer settings such as your Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, operating system, CPU speed, browser type and version, screen resolution, time zone selected and the version numbers of some of the software installed on your computer.
• Information about your current web browser home page and search page settings -- this information includes the URL of your home page, default auto search page, and error pages, and how and when you selected a particular website as your home page, search page, or error page...
• Your Software ID is a numeric identifier that is generated by the Software and the Time and Date that you accepted this Agreement and Privacy Policy...
• Information provided to any C2 employees, contractors, or technical support members may be stored on C2 servers in archives of C2's support and customer service department, but such information will not be associated with the information collected or stored in association with your Software ID that may be provided to third parties or the provision of additional content.
• While you are browsing C2 Media owned web sites, as is true of most Web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data (links you click on the page).

:^)

This post was edited on 07-28-2004 at 02:40 PM by ZrednaZ.
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
07-28-2004 02:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
Are you absolutely certain? Because some of the things stated in the License Agreement honestly make you wonder.

Let me quote Patchou's reply to Sponsor, toolbars, and auto-updates:
quote:
Well, it's true that modern advertisement programs tend to display their content based on your interests. I have no insights on how things really work, my opinion on this subject is as good as any other, but I would tend to think that you should take this analyse in the positive way: they do that to target their users. Thsi is a way to prevent tons of popups to appear on your screen for products you don't care about. The different with a spyware is that a spyware would send your information in a server, along with some other personal information (like your email), and that is definitively NOT done by my sponsor.
07-28-2004 02:44 PM
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
That statement's not entirely true as they do collect your IP address which certainly can help to identify you...^o)
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
07-28-2004 02:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
No, the sponsor isn't spyware, and the license also says that.
Spyware is, as Patchou said, far more "agressive" and sends information to servers. Adware also collects info, but this is done by cookies and stuff, in other words local, no valuable info is send to servers.

quote:
By saying that I see that you clearly don't know what Gator does or is, or what the Plus! sponsor does. Gator is far worse then the stripped down sponsor that comes with Plus!....

This post was edited on 07-28-2004 at 10:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-28-2004 09:14 PM
nyzrox

Mariaaaaaaaaaa

36 / Male / –
i had gator once and that sponser i hated the sponser could never get rid of it
07-28-2004 09:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »