What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » mp3 music

Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
mp3 music
Author: Message:
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: mp3 music
I'll download music, and then most of the time I will actually go out and buy the CD for the better quality version. This is the same for a lot of users and i'm sure if the RIAA looked at the statistics they would know that since the introduction of P2P sharing programs such as Kazaa that the record sales have been the highest in a long time.

Going by the idea that it is illegal to rip your own cd's depends on your own country's laws. I know here in Australia it is illegal, which also means there is NO point for MP3 players such as the IPOD. It is also still illegal in Australia to record television shows with a VCR. I quote from PCAuthority (Au July Edition):
quote:
Leaving aside the debate on whether its 'right' or 'wrong', it is illegal to rip your CD collection to any digital format for any reason in Australia under the 1968 Copyright Act without first obtaining the copyright owner's permission.

Copyright law in the United States differs significantly from Australia in that many "domestic copying" activities which are legal in the United States are illegal in Australia..... they (Australians) may be under the mistaken belief that private non-commercial copying which is legal for an American is legal for an Australian.

Using your VCR to record a movie on TV tonight and watch it tomorrow night doesn't require a second thought. Except in Australia, doing that is illegal.

.. In Australia, due to the overly and unfairly restrictive "fair dealing" rights granted by the Copyright act, there are practically no legal uses for an MP3 player.

Article (c) 2004, PC Authority

Interesting, huh? :P
07-03-2004 01:19 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
has anyone been arrested for recording a tv program ???
07-03-2004 01:25 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

No, dont think so... It just happens so much the law has degraded and no one really pays any attention to it.
07-03-2004 01:54 AM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
No, dont think so... It just happens so much the law has degraded and no one really pays any attention to it.
oh so people do record then, coz my next question was gonna be, do shops sell blank video's ? as there would be not much use to them if u couldn't record tv
07-03-2004 01:57 AM
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
oh so people do record then, coz my next question was gonna be, do shops sell blank video's ? as there would be not much use to them if u couldn't record tv

What about camcorders? Most still use the tapes so they could still be making a profit off of them.
07-03-2004 03:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
RE: RE: mp3 music
quote:
I'll download music, and then most of the time I will actually go out and buy the CD for the better quality version. This is the same for a lot of users and i'm sure if the RIAA looked at the statistics they would know that since the introduction of P2P sharing programs such as Kazaa that the record sales have been the highest in a long time.

Going by the idea that it is illegal to rip your own cd's depends on your own country's laws. I know here in Australia it is illegal, which also means there is NO point for MP3 players such as the IPOD. It is also still illegal in Australia to record television shows with a VCR. I quote from PCAuthority (Au July Edition):
quote:
Leaving aside the debate on whether its 'right' or 'wrong', it is illegal to rip your CD collection to any digital format for any reason in Australia under the 1968 Copyright Act without first obtaining the copyright owner's permission.

Copyright law in the United States differs significantly from Australia in that many "domestic copying" activities which are legal in the United States are illegal in Australia..... they (Australians) may be under the mistaken belief that private non-commercial copying which is legal for an American is legal for an Australian.

Using your VCR to record a movie on TV tonight and watch it tomorrow night doesn't require a second thought. Except in Australia, doing that is illegal.

.. In Australia, due to the overly and unfairly restrictive "fair dealing" rights granted by the Copyright act, there are practically no legal uses for an MP3 player.

Article (c) 2004, PC Authority

Interesting, huh? :P

Although with the IPod (overpriced I say) you got the Apple Music Download service where you pay like 99cents or something for 1 song.  There are several approaching launch in the UK (I think) but why should ppl pay 2 times for the same song?

Interesting thing Laws.  True story.  A student at Oxford University while taking final exams stopped halfway through & asked for a glass of Port.  They checked the rules and he IS allowed a glass of Port mid exam.  When he handed in his paper at the end the examiner ripped it up saying he wasn't wearing his sword.

Moral of the story:  Just because you got past 1 Law doesn't mean there aren't more, hidden Laws you don't know about.

Not being able to record TV, that's a bit of bummer ain't it.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
07-03-2004 05:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by toddy
if all the money when to the artist, minus the cost of the cd n recording the song. i would go out and buy the cd, coz then i kno the money is off to the artist, who as you have said works hard to produce the song.
And where would you buy your CD if the production houses, music labels, and stores wont get money, in other words, will not spread and sell the CD because they don't get enough money in profit to do so??????

And also, so you would be pleased with a raw, unprinted CD, without a box and without any booklet etc.? because that costs money also, and the printing services wont do it for free....

And all the money, minus the other costs, goes to the artist. If you wont buy CD's, but rather bluntly download them (because you think they are too expensive), you steal even more money from the artists. So, if you're so concearned about the artists, and don't wanna give money to other people, then don't download songs and don't buy CD's. In that way, you wont loose money and the artist wont loose money....

An artist makes songs. He want to share it with other people. Of course the artist doesn't have the means to spread his songs on CD and to make an actractive cover, booklet, etc... so he contracts a dealer for his services, a printer to make the booklets, etc... Of course that costs money, and of course you are gonna pay for it....

If you make a program (which will take you 12 monts to program) and you want to share it but you don't have internet, you will need to contract someone to spread it for you. This all costs money too and you, of course, expect that people will pay for it instead of downloading it from an warez site...

Or, so you have job.... I'm certain that the product you're making costs more then your monthly paycheck. Why? Because there are other things involved then only "making" the product......

It is all the same........

If you want to have something, you expect it to get it free or for a little bit of money while if someone else wants something from you you want to be payed for it???? Talking of double standards and hypocritical.......................

Please, don't give me this oh so typical comments: "if all the money goes to the artist".... "if they just didn't make it so expensive"...  "the law says this and that".... etc... etc...

Those arguments are rubbish and shows that you don't know how things work. And the fact remains that in 90% of all the countries, downloading songs instead of buying CD's is stealing, no matter what argument you give or whatever you call it....

You can discuss this until eternity, it still will be stealing if you simply download songs without buying the CD........

This post was edited on 07-03-2004 at 09:07 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-03-2004 09:02 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

what i don't see, is how ppl can sit at the back of a cinema, with a tripod and a camcorder, record films, and not get caught!! outrageous

i still buy the pirates though :)
07-03-2004 09:05 AM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
it still will be stealing if you simply download songs without buying the CD
alrite then i steal
07-03-2004 01:17 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
I have a Thomson mp3 player that I bought legally in the UK with software to rip CD's included, so I don't really care whether ripping my CDs is legal because its not my job to research information such as that when I can buy the ability to do so in any UK Argos store...They imply it is legal and should not sell goods with no evidence that it is illegal...
The P2P music debate is identical to the taping of music from the radio decades ago, eventually it will dissipate and be regarded as a publicity outlet for music...
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
07-03-2004 02:45 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: