What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » plus 3 design & keyboard

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
plus 3 design & keyboard
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: plus 3 design & keyboard
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
they say "click here " not " press Ctrl + ..."
hehehe, to be precise, they can have a shortcut (ampersand) though, but you wouldn't see it because the whole link is underlined....

quote:
what dodgy keyboard do you have?
A normal keyboard like everybody else :P

quote:
in all keyboards i've seen, the numbers are in the upper row of qwertyuiop and they're the main symbol of those keys
There are two main layouts for keyboards: qwerty and azerty (keyboard codetable)... but often the thing that people forget is that there are many subcategories... for instance, In Belgium/Netherland (only countries I'm 100% sure of, but there are many many more) those numbers are NOT the main keys (language codetable)....

(ps: ask on IRC what the key is above the TAB key... You'll get many different answers, and they all use a standard normal keyboard ;))

This post was edited on 07-10-2004 at 09:56 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-10-2004 09:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
hehehe, to be precise, they can have a shortcut (ampersand) though, but you wouldn't see it because the whole link is underlined....
hahaha, the user would have to guess what's the underlined letter :lol: it'd be a great easter egg :P

Well, in fact, i agree that plus can be controlled with the keyboard, but those "extreme" things are a bit picky imo. How many times would someone have to click (well, not click, but "use") those links/buttons/ etc... that doesn't have a shortcut? And let's remember, that plus is running inside Windows, an OS with GUI. Doing things with the keyboard is faster, yes, but a correct use of both keyboard and mouse is the fastest ;)

quote:
There are two main layouts for keyboards: qwerty and azerty (keyboard codetable)...
azerty?? I only kwen qwerty and Dvorak
* Choli :google:s azerty
quote:
In Belgium/Netherland (only countries I'm 100% sure of, but there are many many more) those numbers are NOT the main keys (language codetable)....
ok ok, i belive you :P but it seems very weird to me ;)
quote:
ask on IRC what the key is above the TAB key...
yes, there was a thread about that some time ago... but that key is a bit "special". I meant the "standar" keys for letters (A..Z) and numbers (1..9, 0) not the rest (ºª\<>?'¡¿.,:;-_{}[]^+* etc...)
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
07-10-2004 10:15 PM
uam

O.P. RE: plus 3 design & keyboard
Hi guys,
I wanted to make such list too, but you were faster :p

I agree Alt+1,2,3 is not lucky because lot of national keyboards/mappings do not interpret these keys as being numbers.

But you started, so just finish it ;):

* It is not visible whether the left panel in Preferences has the focus or not, which is a little bit confusing. PS "Personalize my status" checkbox has the same problem.

* The Tab order of Apply -> Cancel -> OK -> Reset -> Save seems to be for people writing from right to left, doesn't it? :)

* After the left panel, individual preferences should have the focus, not the sequence above.

* In Quick Icons subsection, "Display the panel..." and "Instant display..." are not accessible using ALT, resp. there is no _.
   "Text decoration" in Text Recall, "Number of chars..." and "Report Delay" in Configuration as well. So are all items in Status Presets and much more in whole preferences dialog, some in personalised status and task scheduler; however, I don't think this is essential, since it can all be done by TAB.

* The TabControls, eg. in POP3 E-mail does not accept Ctrl+Tab as they do in Win32 apps.

* This thing I am not sure if it could be done by developer and I am afraid it couldn't, but the Plus icon in chat window is not accesible using Tab; but there could be - maybe there already is :p - a key shortcut for it.
* Also the menu under this Plus icon has no hotkeys defined.

I think it's all for the moment ;)

...but believe me, I really love Plus 8-| (y)
07-10-2004 10:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by uam
The TabControls, eg. in POP3 E-mail does not accept Ctrl+Tab as they do in Win32 apps.
as other Tab controls in Windows, the one of plus can be controlled pressing TAB until you set the focus to the tabs and the using letf and right arrows.
quote:
Originally posted by uam
This thing I am not sure if it could be done by developer and I am afraid it couldn't, but the Plus icon in chat window is not accesible using Tab; but there could be - maybe there already is  - a key shortcut for it.
the features of that menu can be accessed from the plus menu of the chat windows. You can press Alt + P and access it.
quote:
Originally posted by uam
Also the menu under this Plus icon has no hotkeys defined.
no need of them, and the same in other similar menus ;)

btw, they are in the spanish-spain version, i think; we put there just for fun :P
quote:
Originally posted by uam
but believe me, I really love Plus
as all of us :banana:

PD: yes, the tab order is a bit dodgy sometimes.
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
07-10-2004 10:57 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by uam
"Text decoration" in Text Recall, "Number of chars..." and "Report Delay" in Configuration as well. So are all items in Status Presets and much more in whole preferences dialog, some in personalised status and task scheduler; however, I don't think this is essential, since it can all be done by TAB.
Yeah, every textbox is accessable by tab-stopping, so I didn't "report" it. Patchou could make it that all those controls can handle ampersands though (well most of them can already btw, but they aren't "active" and wont focus the texbox that goes with them, except in a few places where it actually works (eg: the textfind dialog in a conversation))

But indeed, also take in account that Plus! is indeed a GUI, like Choli said, and putting an ampersand on every possible control would make it a living hell for the translators and most translations wont be 100% correct with all the ampersand-collisions (heck, even now there are problems sometimes to find a "free" ampersand)

quote:
Originally posted by uam
* Also the menu under this Plus icon has no hotkeys defined.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one... the same goes for the special plus menu in the contactlist (in english, and other languages).... (although some languages do have them though ;))
quote:
no need of them, and the same in other similar menus
True, you can just press the first letter of the menu, but many people don't know that, and also, you can have the same letter in several items, putting ampersands there doesn't harm, infact they help IMHO

This post was edited on 07-10-2004 at 11:33 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-10-2004 11:14 PM
uam

O.P. RE: plus 3 design & keyboard
I found that Tab controls can be switched using arrows, but the Ctrl+(Shift+)Tab is just the case when it significantly speeds up the control of a window, as well as for example tricky F6 ;)

I also agree there is no need for _ on each of plenty controls, if they can be accessed using TAB. But in small and easy windows, like personalised status, it simplifies user tasks.

btw. is there any /command for preferences or personalised status window?

oh yes and one imporant question, but maybe a little bit off-topic
can the AutoComplete feature be done for command list?
07-10-2004 11:28 PM
Vantage

Bam

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by uam
Hi,
I do not find the new design to be somewhat amazing, it simply does not match what I am used to, all these shadows are not intuitive nor used in OS, as well as the UI seems more complicated to me than it was. However, this is change and I can't do anything against it.

Well, what :blah: me a lot, is the lack of keyboard control, what I think should be preserved, especially in programs like this one.

eg. How can I switch between subcategory buttons like "Local settings" "sound config" and "misc"? How can I list presets of personalized status since they are hidden behind the curious button?

I will willingly try to learn new UI, but if it cannot be controled using keyboard, it is bad UI.

Thanks for understanding,
           have a nice day (A) miloush

Dude, i think ur exepecting too much out of this program,
Never Hope. Always Wish.
07-11-2004 12:28 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Well since we have Alt+1 or 2 or 3 etc what about Keys to jump to Different Sections (the images on the left)
07-11-2004 03:18 AM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
Well since we have Alt+1 or 2 or 3 etc what about Keys to jump to Different Sections (the images on the left)
press tab till you focus on the column of buttons and then just press the UP and DOWN keys. Ctrl+tab would be better though :-/

Many things were done in Plus 3 to make it more intuitive, such as putting the OK, CANCEL, APPLY buttons in the way Windows uses it and not in the usual yes/no order (I had to fight with Patch for that :P) and other stuff. More graphics doesn't necessarily mean less usability.

Thanks for the comments (Y)
07-11-2004 04:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
press tab till you focus on the column of buttons and then just press the UP and DOWN keys. Ctrl+tab would be better though :-/

I am a Beta tester and didn't even know that. lol but I know this is asking a lot but if one of this images along the side gets the focus via tab then the colour should be something else to inform the user because its really hard to see which has the focus.
07-11-2004 05:02 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: