What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Ipod G3 or G4?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Ipod G3 or G4?
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. Huh?  Ipod G3 or G4?
OK, firstly, don't reply if you're not going to give an intelligent answer, I don'[t want something like "Buy the G4 because it's newer!" or something like that.

Here's the deal - I have finally saved up enough money to buy an IPOD, but I can't decide on G3 or G4.

The G3 IPOD's are now on sale because the G4's just came out. The only major difference between G3 and G4 is that the G3 has an 8 hour batter life, and the G4 has a 12 hour battery life, on top of a new scroll wheel style.

I can buy a G3 15 gig. IPOD for $325.00 (CAD) + tax at the futureshop here right now, or I can order a G4 20 gig. IPOD for $300 USD which is aprox. $450 CAD (I live in Canada). The reason I can get the Ipod for $325 instead of $350 is because London drugs sells them for cheaper and futureshop honour's another store's lower price.

the link to the 15 gig. G3 I can buy @ futureshop is:
here

the link to the 20 gig. G4 I can buy @ Apple is:
here

(note, I wouldn't get my G4 for AT LEAST a month or two if I bought it from apple becasue I don't have enough for tax and shipping, and there are already back orders.)

Please give a HELPFUL oppinion.

Edit: Everyone likes picture ;):

Generation 3 (blue one is an IPOD mini - disregard):
[Image: ipodh.jpg]

Generation 4:
[Image: ipod.jpg]

This post was edited on 07-26-2004 at 06:16 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
07-26-2004 05:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
RE: Ipod G3 or G4?
I love my g3 and I think the g4 with the updated look is a little ugly and harder to controll with the tap-scroll crap, The actuall tactile feel from the little buttons on the g3 iPods are very nice when your trying to fumble arround with them while driving.

Just my $0.02
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
07-26-2004 06:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I too am getting an iPod soon.

I decided on the 4rth Generation one.

For one the 4rth Generation 20GB is 299$ which is a major cheapness.

Also , The batterry life has been extended to a more decent amount and it would seem the LCD Screens are brighter. They are also thinner and the only reason not to but it is because the 3rd Generation is cheaper.

And as I beleive apple is giving free two line engravings for a limited time.
07-26-2004 06:01 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Ipod G3 or G4?
quote:
Originally posted by NoName
I too am getting an iPod soon.

I decided on the 4rth Generation one.

For one the 4rth Generation 20GB is 299$ which is a major cheapness.

Also , The batterry life has been extended to a more decent amount and it would seem the LCD Screens are brighter. They are also thinner and the only reason not to but it is because the 3rd Generation is cheaper.

And as I beleive apple is giving free two line engravings for a limited time.

OK, I listed the extended battery life and stuff already, and like I said, I live in Canada, so it's about $125.00 cheaper for the G3 IPOD (and on top of that I need to pay shipping, boarder charges and crap like that too.)

I wouldn't mind a G3 OR a G4

quote:
Originally posted by wj
I love my g3 and I think the g4 with the updated look is a little ugly and harder to controll with the tap-scroll crap, The actuall tactile feel from the little buttons on the g3 iPods are very nice when your trying to fumble arround with them while driving.

Just my $0.02

Thx for the oppinion, and the only reason the coloured the wheel grey:throwup: is because otherwise they would look (from the front at least) like a G2 (or was it the G1?), which also had a click wheel o.O
07-26-2004 06:08 PM
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by blade
I live in Canada, so it's about $125.00 cheaper for the G3 IPOD (and on top of that I need to pay shipping, boarder charges and crap like that too.)

Well if its 125$ Cheaper you should get the G3. There isnt alot of difference anyway.
07-26-2004 06:32 PM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Ipod G3 or G4?
quote:
Originally posted by NoName
quote:
Originally posted by blade
I live in Canada, so it's about $125.00 cheaper for the G3 IPOD (and on top of that I need to pay shipping, boarder charges and crap like that too.)

Well if its 125$ Cheaper you should get the G3. There isnt alot of difference anyway.

Well I know...but it is 5 GB bigger, has 4 hours more battery life, and  comes with the USB cable I need (no firewire here) :P

It's a hard choice but I will prob. buy the G3 bcz I can get it here and now :P
07-26-2004 06:34 PM
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
The G1's had a similar click whell, but the buttons were tactile butons arround the wheel so there was actuall mechanical buttons. I'm all about the G3 and honestly, do you expect to use the 5 extra gb and when are you going to run through 8 hours of music (constant use remember)
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
07-26-2004 07:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dom.
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
im definatly going for the G4 mate, because i need the improved battery life.. (and its cheaper than the g3 here)

but if you dont need more than 6-8 hours battery life, get the 3g if its cheaper.. :p
07-26-2004 09:49 PM
|Rolando|

Eliminate the hate...

36 / Male / –
G3 looks better
G4 is cheaper and it's battery lasts longer
:)
[Image: sigtl6.png]
07-26-2004 09:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
IMO, G4s look better and the click wheel is a much better control type. It might look harder to use or worse at first glance, but don't give an opinion until you've tried it or the Mini wheel. (if you did, well... I shut up :P)

I would definitely encourage you to buy the G4 one, unless the cost difference is very important to you.

Oh, and the G1/G2s definitely didn't have a click wheel.
The G1s had an actual rotating, mechanical wheel in the middle and the mechanical buttons around it. The G2s replaced that real wheel with a touch scroll wheel (the mechanism under the "hood" was the same, they only changed the outsides) but the buttons were still outside the wheel.

This post was edited on 07-26-2004 at 11:57 PM by Guido.
07-26-2004 11:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: